need a little help

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 1

need a little help

Post by Texasdoc »

I got a bet going that the Std. Grip of a Gov. Model 1911 Mil Spec is 1.18"wide and a buddy says its 1.28" and that its the same as a Glock model 21 grip can some one set it right.

Thanks for the help in Advance

Texasdoc
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

rlr

Re: need a little help

Post by rlr »

Do not have the specifics but being an owner of a 1911 and family members owning a Glock I would definitely have to say that the 1911 is thinner than the Glock. :)

11/21/09 - CHL Class
11/23/09 - Mailed application to DPS
11/25/09 - Notification DPS received packet
12/03/09 - Check Cashed
12/15/09 - Requested/Received pin number
12/15/09 - Processing Application
12/21/09 - Application Approved
12/24/09 - Plastic in hand

The Annoyed Man

Re: need a little help

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rlr wrote:Do not have the specifics but being an owner of a 1911 and family members owning a Glock I would definitely have to say that the 1911 is thinner than the Glock. :)
Ditto. I own and carry two different 1911s, and we also own a Glock 19 (the wife's). Even with the wraparound Hogue grips I've put on my 3" Kimber, it is a smaller feeling grip than the Glock. Tell your friend to put a Glock magazine alongside a 1911 magazine, and then ask him if he still believes they're the same width in the grip area.

I just compared the grip on my wife's G19 to the grip on my Springfield Loaded - which has pretty much mil-spec grip panels on it - and they are extremely close to one another in width. But the difference between the two isn't in the grip width, it's in the grip shape, and how that shape feels in the hand. The Glock's is blocky and square, measuring wider at the front and back straps than the 1911 does, which has more of an oval cross-section when the grip panels are taken into account. This is the result of comparing a double stack pistol to a single stack pistol. It's not really a valid comparison in that regard.

One of my carry pistols is a USP Compact, and when you compare its ergonomics to a 1911, it is fair to say that the USPc is more "Glock-like" than 1911-like." And even though the H&K conceals fairly well (it is similar in size to the G19), it isn't as flat, and doesn't conceal as easily as either of my 1911s. But that said, the Glocks conceal just fine, and it doesn't matter from a concealment standpoint whether there is a grip discrepancy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”