Why carry a .40 or.45

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
texasrig
Posts in topic: 2

Why carry a .40 or.45

Post by texasrig »

I will be taking my CHL class next month and will be picking up a Kahr P9 this weekend which will be my primary carry. My question is why carry or own anything bigger than a 9mm? Is it the stopping power of the larger caliber pistols that makes them attractive? It seems to me that if I become a proficient shot with my 9mm then that would be all that I need to protect my family. Not trying to start a big debate over weapon preferences just curious why you choose the larger guns.

Thanks
Session

garcia946

Re: Why carry a .40 or.45

Post by garcia946 »

For me it is the stopping power , Ive heard alot stories from alot of friends that are LEO and for them a 9mm just doesnt cut it for them. So they recommend at least a .40 if not a .45 which most LEO carry .45 these days.
But this is ONLY my opinion , no more no less
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

fecnik
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fecnik »

IMO i think a well placed 9mm +P HP would do the trick.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 08

Springfield Champion Stainless
Kahr K40 Stainless

garcia946

Post by garcia946 »

TxLobo wrote:shoot what you are comfortable with, shoot what you can handle...
:iagree:
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

With proper ammunition and correct shot placement the 9mm, 40 S&W, and, the .45 ACP will all do the job. With improper ammunition and/or poor shot placement none will do the job. If you are confident in the 9mm and spend the time to learn to shoot it well you will be well armed. If you have a .45 and don't train with it you might as have a rubber band gun. Go with what you are confident with.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Why carry a .40 or.45

Because they don't make a .46 ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

I'm a fan of heavy and slower rounds simply because I have found them more resistant to deflection than are lighter rounds.

Strange things can happen when rounds hit bone in 4 AND 2 legged critters, and a deflection can send an otherwise incapacitating shot to a more survivable area.

Regardless, shot strings are where it's at, so the high cap 9mm is ample for defensive purposes.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

The answer is no.

That said, with all the normal caveats in place, a 9mm "can be as effective as a 45 for self defense". The .45 acp was developed to replace the .45 Colt, which was an effective "horse gun". It will stop a horse. It is a slow moving round with less felt recoil than the higher velocity 9mm and 40, even though the recoil over time is actually higher, maybe. I can't prove it. I would like to see a chart of recoil pressure over time, to show it.

I know my small wife, has had both 9mm and 40 pistol for carry prior to dumping them and going to the .45acp because it's easier for her to shoot.

9mm is cheaper to practice with, and improvements in ammo have made it an acceptable SD round in some of the +P+P+P JHP...etc. rounds. It increases the chamber pressure and wear and tear on the system to run the hot stuff. It is also harder to control and maintain accuracy. But, with pistols that have been built lately, they are made to handle the load, for a while. A lot depends on your needs. I can not comment on Kahr's, but I'm sure they work just fine. For a first pistol and CHL qualification, it should serve your needs.

With time and experience, my complete family, brothers and sisters families, have all moved to .45 acp for CCW. If I were in sport shooting, like IDPA, I would most likely be using 9mm for that, but still carrying a .45. Honestly, I have as much fun plinking with a .22, and it's a lot cheaper. I know there are NO correct answers. If it works for you, then it's the right pistol. Good Luck in your journey. I look forward to talking to you in three or four years and see where you are. Welcome to CHL. :cheers2:
Life member NRA and TSRA

terryg

Post by terryg »

I think a lot of people choose .40 over 9mm because 9 is a higher velocity, smaller diameter bullet and so has a somewhat higher probability of leaving the intended target and hitting something behind them. But as mentioned, using good quality defensive ammo (JHP), this should reduce the possibility - at least in my mind.

I intend to purchase a 9 for my next carry weapon because the target ammo is so cheap. I love to shoot my .45 1911 - LOVE IT!!! :fire

But it is just too expensive. I really want to try some shooting matches - so I really need to have a gun that cost less each time I pull the bang switch.

t
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Topic author
texasrig

Post by texasrig »

The .46 joke is funny. :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I do feel comfortable with the 9 and have been shooting a Sig 2022 for a couple of years. Thats why I decided on the P9 for my carry piece. I agree that practice is what its all about and that is another reason I like the 9. With three kids I get more bang for my buck out of my ammo budget with the cheaper cost of 9mm ammo.

Funny thing is that I want to own a 1911 style .45. Its just a classic gun and I think it would be lot of fun to take hog hunting. And in the modified words of Ron White "If you own one pistol, you... pretty much want to own the rest of them. "

RiverCity.45

Post by RiverCity.45 »

fecnik wrote:IMO i think a well placed 9mm +P HP would do the trick.
A well-placed stone will do the trick, too, but I would't count on it to defend my family. Novices often underestimate just how wildly thing can go in real life. Just ask that CHLer in San Antonio who got in a shootout when someone tried to jack his Hummer.
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

jester
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jester »

RiverCity.45 wrote:
fecnik wrote:IMO i think a well placed 9mm +P HP would do the trick.
A well-placed stone will do the trick, too, but I would't count on it to defend my family. Novices often underestimate just how wildly thing can go in real life. Just ask that CHLer in San Antonio who got in a shootout when someone tried to jack his Hummer.
I don't know what caliber he was carrying or if he even hit the carjacker. If he missed, carrying a more powerful handgun wouldn't have helped.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 5

Post by glbedd53 »

I have all 3 and 9mm is the one I wouldn't carry. To me 9mm is borderline and when you cut it down to a 3" barrel it's less than borderline.

Zoomie

Post by Zoomie »

F=ma and KE=(1/2)m*v^2.
"Speed is fine accuracy is final."
-Wyatt Earp

"Great danger lies in the notion we can reason with evil."
-Winston Churchill

And the wind shall say 'Here were decent godless people'. Their only monument the asphalt road and a thousand lost golf balls.
-T.S Elliot

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”