Ruger SR22

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Dragon
Posts in topic: 3

Ruger SR22

Post by Dragon »

Hello again everyone! Dropping in to ask another question. Last time I asked here I got great feedback so why not see what everyone's opinions are concerning this brand of gun.

The Ruger SR22 : http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now of course I do remember everyone's advice about trying out some larger handguns, and I still plan on doing so, however I've managed to convince my Husband that the best gun for me is a gun that I'll carry without fear. Even if it isn't the "ideal". He has agreed that if I decided to, he will be okay with me getting a .22 cal pistol. (At least until I'm more comfortable with something larger. And hey, it'll make a great practice gun when/if I upgrade.)

So until we actually have a chance to head out to a range or group to try out some larger handguns, I want to do some research into quality brands/names/models. I've often read good things about Ruger in general, and squirm every time I read about Walther due to very common negative reviews. But are the reviews I've been reading accurate? Basically, the question I'm trying to ask is, does anyone here own/use a Ruger SR .22? How is it's durability?

And on a similar line of thought, what is the best "Brand" to go with when shopping for guns? (Generally speaking, I know that choice is very personal and everyone is going to have different preferences, but what are yours?)

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger SR22

Post by jmra »

I have 2 of them. Great guns but not something I would carry for selfdefense. If I were you I would go to a range and look at some mid sized .380s - rent a couple and shoot them. One I would look at is the Glock 42. It is a very light shooter and would be a much better carry option than the SR22. I would stay away from the tiny .380s, they are harder to handle.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

Dragon
Can I ask what city you are in?
I ask, as it is possible there are others on this forum, in your same city, who have plenty of other guns which they may be willing to take to a local range with you and your husband so you can try various calibers and types of weapons, to see if there is something better than a .22 for you carry for self defense

In the end, if the .22 is all you want to carry, it is better than nothing.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

We live on the northern side of Houston, and yes, we do plan on going out to try various guns before purchasing. My hubby would like to get himself a 9mm before long (going up from a hand-me-down Ruger .380), and I will be giving the idea of getting a .380 or 9mm some serious thought. Honestly, I'm really liking the ideal of carrying a 9mm. It just depends on wither or not I can handle it. But until we have the chance to do that, I'd just like to try and find out more about the brands of guns available. Since the Ruger 22 was the one that first peaked my interest, I figured I'd ask about it.

(( I have been wonderfully advised about the cons of choosing a 22 in this topic, so I truly am not trying to brush it off here. My first post :: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71611 ))

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I am on the Southside of Houston.
I am a member at PSC Range and have a number of handguns.
only 1 380, a few 9mms, a 40 cal and a few .45s
so if your husband and you, want to look at some weekend day to come south, I would be willing to make time and bring my guns, for you both to try all or some of them.

if you are interested, please feel free to PM me.

(http://www.psc-range.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will show you where I am a member at)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have an SR22 and if I was forced to carry a .22LR for self defense this would be the one, with that said rimfire ammo is unreliable at best. My opinion would be to look at the ultra compact firearms like the .380s from Ruger (LC380 and LCR), Sig (P238), and Smith & Wesson (Shield). Alternatively the Sig P239 is only slightly larger than a .380 and is chambered in 9mm, then Springfield Armory makes their XDs pistols in 9, 40, and 45 with 9mm being my recommendation.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Kenk

Post by Kenk »

We have a Ruger SR22 and the comment about unreliable ammo is right on target. It is a nice target/plinking pistol but only a last resort for SD in my opinion.

I have a SIG P938 and it is very easy to shoot and easy on the hand. Almost the same size as the P238. Racking the slide on the P938 is the easiest of any 9mm I've tried. These issues are important for older hands.

Ken

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

My wife just got a new S&W Shield 9mm and she loves it. Would I carry a 22LR? No. For the reasons listed above. If I was not comfortable with anything else, I would get something else and shoot it every day, if need be, until I got comfortable with it. A 22 might save your life. The odds are against it unless you are a master at shot placement under extreme stress. The amount of practice needed to reach that level would also make you a master with a more "social" weapon. Just my opinions though. Good luck.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Bottom line is the 22lr is not the right choice. You know that from what others have said. The sr22 is still 18oz unloaded and not that small. I would take my 32acp kel tec anyday over my 22 handguns!

Here are some ideas.

Bersa Thunder 32acp -20 oz 32acp. Low recoil and yes the 32acp is way better then the 22.

All steel snub nose revolver 20-26 oz. In .38 special standard pressure round.

3.5 inch 9mm 1911. Low recoil

How heavy and what is your size limit?

My wife's first handgun was a Ruger Sp-101 in .32 H&R magnum with a 3inch barrel because she was recoil shy. Now her preferred handguns are 9mm 1911s. She wishes she started with the 1911 but she was just to inexperienced and scared of that big 9mm round.LOL Now she shoots govt model 45acp from time to time. It just takes time. She is only 4foot 10 inchs and she can handle a full size 45 and most 9mm that are shield size and bigger.

xb12s

Post by xb12s »

Hi there and welcome. I am also in Houston (SE side) and have a Ruger SR22. I like that gun a lot, but like others have said, the 22LR round is not the best for reliability (in a semi-auto) or for self defense. If you want to try out a Ruger SR22, perhaps I can work something out. Teamless and I have met before -- he is a standup guy and took me to the range once to try out a gun and I can vouch for him -- so if you and your husband wanted to go with him to the PSC range, I'd be willing to make arrangements with him to take my SR22 along for the ride so you could try it out also if he was willing to do that. Trying things out before you buy is highly recommended. That can get pricey if you have to rent each one separately. Some of the course instructors around here will bring a bunch of different guns for you to try if you wanted to take a course (basic handgun or basic self defense pistol, etc).

My wife was initially gun-shy - still is honestly - but she shoots a full size 9mm. She really likes the feel of the SR22.

Brands - this is all personal preference, but I would consider Smith and Wesson M&P line, Springfield XDm/XDs, maybe Glock if you like the grip enough, or if not, you can get a grip reduction (they shave down the grip to remove the finger grooves and make the circumference smaller if you have smaller hands). Smith and Wesson M&Ps and Springfields are smaller to start with and have grip panels to increase size if you want that. HK is great but pricey. My wife liked the feel of the HK P30 best of all the guns she handled when picking hers out, but the Springfield XDm was several hundred dollars cheaper and she chose that instead. She also likes the S&W M&P guns as well.

If you are considering a 380 in a compact (but not subcompact) and like the feel of the SR-22, you might take a look at the Walther PK380. It has a very similar look and feel, but scaled up a bit.

You should start with what you are comfortable with and work your way up. Spending time at the range, playing games with targets and your husband to make it fun etc, should help you get more comfortable. One thing to keep in mind is that a slightly larger (i.e. heavier and full size) gun for the range will help you get confident with larger calibers more quickly, since the size and mass of the larger guns help absorb more recoil. But again, try some out.

Good luck. Keep asking questions, keep shooting. We're glad you're here.

myntalfloss

Post by myntalfloss »

Dragon wrote:Hello again everyone! Dropping in to ask another question. Last time I asked here I got great feedback so why not see what everyone's opinions are concerning this brand of gun.

The Ruger SR22 : http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now of course I do remember everyone's advice about trying out some larger handguns, and I still plan on doing so, however I've managed to convince my Husband that the best gun for me is a gun that I'll carry without fear. Even if it isn't the "ideal". He has agreed that if I decided to, he will be okay with me getting a .22 cal pistol. (At least until I'm more comfortable with something larger. And hey, it'll make a great practice gun when/if I upgrade.)

So until we actually have a chance to head out to a range or group to try out some larger handguns, I want to do some research into quality brands/names/models. I've often read good things about Ruger in general, and squirm every time I read about Walther due to very common negative reviews. But are the reviews I've been reading accurate? Basically, the question I'm trying to ask is, does anyone here own/use a Ruger SR .22? How is it's durability?

And on a similar line of thought, what is the best "Brand" to go with when shopping for guns? (Generally speaking, I know that choice is very personal and everyone is going to have different preferences, but what are yours?)
You've really seem to have a handle on this gun shopping idea. I have no doubt that you'll select the gun that best for YOU. I have a SR22 and love it, as does my wife. She likes the low recoil and the ease with which she can work the slide. I've been running mostly Remington Value (525 rd.box) through it with only two misfires in 1500 rds or so. Ruger's are known for being able to run almost any kind of ammo. I have 3 Ruger pistols, two of them .22's, Ruger dominates the .22' market and they know what they're doing. Very durable gun. I run most of my tactical drills with it and then repeat with my PX4 9mm. Saves a ton of money.

You are absolutely correct that the best gun for you is the one you feel most comfortable with and can shoot accurately. Get a larger caliber if you want to but don't think you have to. If you present this gun to ward off a bad guy, he's not going to checking the barrel for your caliber choice. He's probably going to think 'Holy Chihuahua!, that gal's got a gun!" If the presentation doesn't convince him to reconsider, then 10 well placed .22 hollowpoints certainly will. If you use CCI Stinger ammo, it comes out of the barrel at 1124 fps with a muzzle energy of 191 ft/lbs. ( That will leave a mark.) Accuracy and attitude go a long way in these situations. Plus, the odds are really, really in favor of you never having to use this weapon defensively, so you'll be mostly using it for recreational use. And a .22 is a lot of inexpensive fun.

As to brands. there are so many good guns out there, that you'd be hard pressed to find a bad one. Particularly if you speaking of .22's. Ruger, Sig, Walther, S&W, Colt, Taurus and Chiappa (among others) all make serveral models of .22 and they're all good manufacturers. Can't go wrong with any of them and as you wisely mentioned, the best gun is the one you like.

Don't forget about revolvers, wheel guns are a lot of fun. My wife's favorite plinker is our Ruger Single Six (.22/.22mag). It's heavy enough that even using the magnum loads, there's no recoil. And she can clear out an X ring with that.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

Regards.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

In this article, Gun-Tests Magazine compared the SR22 to the Walther P22: http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/24_4/fe ... 949-1.html (requires subscription to read). In their bottom line statements about the two guns, they said:
Our Team Said: We really enjoyed the P22 Walther, wanting only more accuracy from it. The feel, function, looks, balance, and light weight were ideal for fun shooting. The good triggers, both the smooth 9.3-pound DA and clean 4.3-pound SA, made that a joy. Does it have enough accuracy? Maybe, depending on your use for the gun.

Our Team Said: We ended up being not so fond of the Ruger. The SR22’s trigger put us off. It annoyed us to much we tried an old gunsmith’s trick on it that helped it a lot. With the gun empty of all ammo, we put lots of thumb pressure on the cocked hammer and pressed the trigger until the hammer fell. We did this a number of times and that took care of some of the creep. If the trigger had been clean and a pound or more lighter, we would have liked the gun better. We found the magazine release to be annoyingly hard to use. Either the buttons need to be longer or the frame needs to be relieved to make it easier to change mags. The Ruger had no problems with feed or function with good ammo. Like the Walther, it ran 100 percent. We did not like the DA trigger at all. We did like the sights, the workmanship, the two extension-type magazine bottoms, the zip case, and the comprehensive manual with its wonderfully detailed exploded view.
They are very close in relative size and weight, with the Ruger being perhaps a smidgen larger and heavier, but not enough so to matter:

The Walther is about $20 cheaper than the Ruger. Accuracy was fairly comparable. They gave the Walther an "A" grade, and the Ruger a "B".

BTW, I can't rate Gun-Tests Magazine highly enough. They take no advertising, so they calls 'em like they sees 'em, and they're not afraid of puncturing anyone's cherished shibboleths.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Dragon wrote:We live on the northern side of Houston, and yes, we do plan on going out to try various guns before purchasing. My hubby would like to get himself a 9mm before long (going up from a hand-me-down Ruger .380), and I will be giving the idea of getting a .380 or 9mm some serious thought. Honestly, I'm really liking the ideal of carrying a 9mm. It just depends on wither or not I can handle it. But until we have the chance to do that, I'd just like to try and find out more about the brands of guns available. Since the Ruger 22 was the one that first peaked my interest, I figured I'd ask about it.

(( I have been wonderfully advised about the cons of choosing a 22 in this topic, so I truly am not trying to brush it off here. My first post :: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71611 ))

You're not going wrong. Those who shoot a lot usually have at least one .22LR pistol they shoot a good bit, and the Bullet Bubble of 2013 shall pass.

Get the SR-22 now, but also look and the M&P version of the .22 as well before you do so.
Here's the fun part: Ruger's SR9 (9mm) is very similar to the .22, and S&W's M&P style .22 is designed as a .22 practice gun for the standard M&P pistol.

Shoot a decent sized 9mm and you'll love it. Most are quite soft on the shoot, and better then trying to shoot a .380 which is often erroneously suggested because its small.

xb12s

Post by xb12s »

The Annoyed Man wrote:In this article, Gun-Tests Magazine compared the SR22 to the Walther P22: http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/24_4/fe ... 949-1.html (requires subscription to read). In their bottom line statements about the two guns, they said:
Our Team Said: We really enjoyed the P22 Walther, wanting only more accuracy from it. The feel, function, looks, balance, and light weight were ideal for fun shooting. The good triggers, both the smooth 9.3-pound DA and clean 4.3-pound SA, made that a joy. Does it have enough accuracy? Maybe, depending on your use for the gun.

Our Team Said: We ended up being not so fond of the Ruger. The SR22’s trigger put us off. It annoyed us to much we tried an old gunsmith’s trick on it that helped it a lot. With the gun empty of all ammo, we put lots of thumb pressure on the cocked hammer and pressed the trigger until the hammer fell. We did this a number of times and that took care of some of the creep. If the trigger had been clean and a pound or more lighter, we would have liked the gun better. We found the magazine release to be annoyingly hard to use. Either the buttons need to be longer or the frame needs to be relieved to make it easier to change mags. The Ruger had no problems with feed or function with good ammo. Like the Walther, it ran 100 percent. We did not like the DA trigger at all. We did like the sights, the workmanship, the two extension-type magazine bottoms, the zip case, and the comprehensive manual with its wonderfully detailed exploded view.
They are very close in relative size and weight, with the Ruger being perhaps a smidgen larger and heavier, but not enough so to matter:
[ Image ]

The Walther is about $20 cheaper than the Ruger. Accuracy was fairly comparable. They gave the Walther an "A" grade, and the Ruger a "B".

BTW, I can't rate Gun-Tests Magazine highly enough. They take no advertising, so they calls 'em like they sees 'em, and they're not afraid of puncturing anyone's cherished shibboleths.
Good info TAM. :tiphat:

I'll agree with their comments on the trigger on the SR-22. It is too heavy (especially DA), but the SA pull is not horrible. I don't think there's a drop-in trigger replacement available. The grittiness might even out with use. I'll have to try the trick Gun-Tests did to see if that improves it any. The mag release is too stiff (and not long enough) for a gun you'd use at IDPA or something, but for a range plinker mine is fine. For SD it might give me pause. I think I saw somewhere on the web how people were putting something (sticky dot?) on top of the mag release button to make it longer/easier to activate. A little work with the file or dremel might do the trick also.

As for the Walther it has all kinds of bad internet reviews about quality - I had considered it also when I got the Ruger. It was originally my first choice until I got scared off by the problems that were posted. There is a nice book available on the internet to fix your Walther P22 to make it more reliable though - believe it is called the "Walther P22 bible". There are also YouTube vids of some of the most common fixes. It was of inferior manufacture at the time (emphasis on the past tense, these things tend to get cleaned up over time - improved tolerances, etc once they are found). Ruger was new and I jumped on it. The problems with it may be equal to that of the P22, though.

So... combining my two threads, again I'd recommend checking out the PK380 instead, the P22's bigger brother. It was regarded to be of higher manufacturing standards, sharing more functional commonalities with the P99, but with similar ergos to the P22 according to internet hearsay.

Here's some basic info on the PK380 for those interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PK380

android

Post by android »

I've owned the Walther and now have the SR22.
The SR22 is much better made. It has a machined slide, not cast zinc/pot metal.

It's a fun gun for kids or beginners or when you just want to shoot 22s.

Because of the magazine safety and upside down thumb safety, I wouldn't ever consider this a gun for self defense.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”