SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
DanD
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm

SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#1

Post by DanD » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Has anyone tried the SnagMag concealed magazine holster? The SnagMag looks like a knife clipped to your front pocket but instead it holds a magazine. Looks like a convenient way to carry a spare mag.

The SnagMag website is here: http://www.snagmag.com

They also have a few videos here: http://www.snagmag.com/videos/
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA


JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 807
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#2

Post by JRG » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Never heard of them. Looks pretty cool though and looks like it would work well.

Joe


spolct
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#3

Post by spolct » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Looks pretty cool. I think it would be great for a spare LC9 mag (slim, short), but I think a full size or even compact double stack would be pretty bulky and also would make that pocket inaccessible for regular-use items such as wallet/keys/phone/change. Great idea for pants/shorts with extra pockets or if you don't mind giving up your main weak-side pocket.

Also, a spare 17 rnd mag with grip adapter for my M&P 9c doesn't look like it would work too well. I found a $7 canvas horizontal mag carrier that works perfect for that purpose.


Rrash
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 am
Location: McKinney

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#4

Post by Rrash » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Looks cool. Ironically, I often carry an extra mag in a OWB mag holster that gets mistaken for a knife. Sometimes the bottom of the holster shows below my shirt, and I guess people see the leather and think its a sheath or something. In fact, I once had a security guard stop me and ask me to return my knife to my car when I was entering a concert at Gexa. It took me a minute to realize he noticed my mag holster.


ghostrider
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:05 am
Location: Free Republic of Texas

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#5

Post by ghostrider » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Has anyone tried the SnagMag concealed magazine holster?
not yet, but I've been considering one.

I see this more of a solution for accessibility rather than concealability since I often carry a spare (double stack) mag in a pocket without a problem - other than quick access.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

User avatar

OldCannon
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am
Location: Pflugerville, TX (Between a Rock and a Weird Place)

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#6

Post by OldCannon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:16 am

I'm pretty happy with my VersaCarrier.

http://www.versacarry.com/versacarrier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

User avatar

jimlongley
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6134
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:31 pm
Location: Allen, TX

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#7

Post by jimlongley » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:25 am

Since I discovered how well a bunch of harmonicas fit in the cargo pockets of Tru-Spec pants, I have standardized on them, and I did try the others. The T-S also have two external pockets which I carry pens and a spare mag in, pens on the right, spare mag on the left. All of my single stack .45ACP mags fit just fine, with just the base plate showing, and very few people recognize it for what it is. My problem is that it is so comfortable that a few times when I got to work I have forgotten to remove the mag, leading, twice now, to someone asking "What kind of knife is that?"

I will have to try one of these.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 25388
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#8

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:20 am

DanD wrote:Has anyone tried the SnagMag concealed magazine holster? The SnagMag looks like a knife clipped to your front pocket but instead it holds a magazine. Looks like a convenient way to carry a spare mag.

The SnagMag website is here: http://www.snagmag.com

They also have a few videos here: http://www.snagmag.com/videos/
Looks easy for a single stack, not so much for a fat double stack mag, and honestly, it doesn't look that discreet to me. Without a cover garment, that would be pretty obvious to anyone who cared.....like a bad guy or a hoplophobic soccer-mom.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

SQLGeek
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3093
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:48 am
Location: Richmond, TX

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#9

Post by SQLGeek » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Interesting concept but I like my Wilderness horizontal magazine carrier so much I don't see the need to try something else.
Psalm 91:2


Topic author
DanD
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#10

Post by DanD » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 pm

I bought a SnagMag for my XDs .45 ACP last night. At $36 including shipping from Amazon the price seems pretty high but I like the idea of pocket carrying a spare mag that will be kept in place. To bad they don't offer it with the clip in black. TAM may be right about some folks figuring out what it is. I'll know for sure if TAM is right once I receive mine and give it try.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

User avatar

barres
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:58 pm
Location: Prison City, Texas

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#11

Post by barres » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:34 am

Any update, DanD? You've had about a month to get it and try it out. What's your impression to this point?
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre


Topic author
DanD
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#12

Post by DanD » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 pm

I really like the SnagMag but it is not perfect. The problem with the SnagMag is that it sits too high in the pocket showing too much of the top of the magazine. If they had rotated the pocket clip around where the bend was from the top then I think it would have been perfect.

Here is a link to a pretty good review from Nick Leghorn on the SnagMag: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... e-holster/

Here is a picture from the Nick Leghorn review that shows how high the SnagMag rides in the pocket. You can see that if they had bent the clip from the top of the SnagMag it would sit lower in the pocket. Note: I tried to insert the image but it was so large it was getting clipped.
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-s ... 000560.jpg
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA


Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:19 am
Location: Cedar Park Texas

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#13

Post by Cedar Park Dad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:34 pm

DanD wrote:Has anyone tried the SnagMag concealed magazine holster? The SnagMag looks like a knife clipped to your front pocket but instead it holds a magazine. Looks like a convenient way to carry a spare mag.

The SnagMag website is here: http://www.snagmag.com

They also have a few videos here: http://www.snagmag.com/videos/

Looks like it could fall out to me.

User avatar

jimlongley
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6134
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:31 pm
Location: Allen, TX

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#14

Post by jimlongley » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:39 pm

DanD wrote:I really like the SnagMag but it is not perfect. The problem with the SnagMag is that it sits too high in the pocket showing too much of the top of the magazine. If they had rotated the pocket clip around where the bend was from the top then I think it would have been perfect.

Here is a link to a pretty good review from Nick Leghorn on the SnagMag: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... e-holster/

Here is a picture from the Nick Leghorn review that shows how high the SnagMag rides in the pocket. You can see that if they had bent the clip from the top of the SnagMag it would sit lower in the pocket. Note: I tried to insert the image but it was so large it was getting clipped.
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-s ... 000560.jpg
I agree about sitting too high, several people who I know have noticed it, and I have forgotten it twice, leaving it in my pocket while at work, although only one person there noticed that I know of.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

User avatar

Charlies.Contingency
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm
Location: South Central Texas

Re: SnagMag Concealed Magazine Holster

#15

Post by Charlies.Contingency » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:47 pm

jimlongley wrote:
DanD wrote:I really like the SnagMag but it is not perfect. The problem with the SnagMag is that it sits too high in the pocket showing too much of the top of the magazine. If they had rotated the pocket clip around where the bend was from the top then I think it would have been perfect.

Here is a link to a pretty good review from Nick Leghorn on the SnagMag: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... e-holster/

Here is a picture from the Nick Leghorn review that shows how high the SnagMag rides in the pocket. You can see that if they had bent the clip from the top of the SnagMag it would sit lower in the pocket. Note: I tried to insert the image but it was so large it was getting clipped.
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-s ... 000560.jpg
I agree about sitting too high, several people who I know have noticed it, and I have forgotten it twice, leaving it in my pocket while at work, although only one person there noticed that I know of.
It doesn't seem to me like it does a darn for concealing your magazine, but keeping it in place is another thing. I like wearing 5.11's with the built in mag/phone/knife/utility pouches on the high thigh. In my size pants, I can notably put two glock 22 mags back to back, and have them hidden flawlessly. It looks almost perfectly square, and nobody has batted an eye over it. (For those non-glock people, my glock 22 mags are 15rd double stack mags of .40cal.)
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”