Updated Shield owners- help!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Updated Shield owners- help!

Post by flechero »

So my 10 year old, well used and worn, "small & discreet" carry gun had the extractor break. Rather than replace parts, re-spring the gun and then have to re-prove it with carry ammo, I'm considering replacing it. For purposes of this thread, choices only include a Shield 2.0 in 9mm or a Shield 1.0 45acp Shield.

Not a caliber debate but curious as to how the guns shoot and feel in their respective calibers. I'm a true fan of the 45acp but have no issues carrying 9mm. Given the amount of 45acp I load and shoot already, I'm inclined to go 45acp full time, although I am also set up to load 9mm. (just do so in low volume) I carry a 4" 1911 when not in discreet mode.

For those that have or have shot both, can you give me a comparison?

Many thanks!

Edited the version of Shield 45acp.
Last edited by flechero on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shield owners- help!

Post by carlson1 »

I do not have the performance .45, but I do have 1.0 in .45. Mine is a delight to shoot. It is surprisingly low recoil in that small of a frame. Comparing it to the 9mm it is of course more recoil, but very manageable.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I have never shot a .45 Shield, however my 9mm PC Shield is a joy to shoot. I have read numerous reviews of people praising the .45 Shield.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:36 pm I do not have the performance .45, but I do have 1.0 in .45. Mine is a delight to shoot. It is surprisingly low recoil in that small of a frame. Comparing it to the 9mm it is of course more recoil, but very manageable.
Technically, I believe the Shield .45 has all the same features that the 2.0 shield 9mm has. I could be wrong.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

rotor

Post by rotor »

My wife has the 9mm performance shield 1. I personally don't like the ported barrel. There are ammo restrictions with a ported barrel (FMJ-not plated). Otherwise I like the gun.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

rotor wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 pm My wife has the 9mm performance shield 1. I personally don't like the ported barrel. There are ammo restrictions with a ported barrel (FMJ-not plated). Otherwise I like the gun.
I wasn't aware of the ammo restriction- that would change things.

In that case, I'd go back to he standard Shield in place of the PC version. Original post edited.

Thanks for the heads up :tiphat:

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I carry a 9mm Shield 1.0 and I shoot it pretty well. For its size and weight, it is a very good shooter.
Psalm 91:2

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

One of the guns I carry is a .45 Shield. The thing about it that is the most surprising is the relatively light recoil. I wish it had a bit lighter trigger, but it is still fun to shoot.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

flechero wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:42 pm
rotor wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 pm My wife has the 9mm performance shield 1. I personally don't like the ported barrel. There are ammo restrictions with a ported barrel (FMJ-not plated). Otherwise I like the gun.
I wasn't aware of the ammo restriction- that would change things.

In that case, I'd go back to he standard Shield in place of the PC version. Original post edited.

Thanks for the heads up :tiphat:
I’ve shot a wide variety of ammo through my ported Shield, including hundreds of rounds of plated bullets, with no issues. I’ve read that the Shield’s short barrel may not exhibit the issues with plated bullets like longer barrels do. That being said, I no longer buy plated ammo just because of that possibility. There’s plenty of non-plated ammo available so I wouldn’t pass on the PC version. On the other hand the M2.0 Shield is supposed to have as good a trigger as the PC model.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

I have fairly recently added a Shield 9mm 1.0 to my EDC rotation. I have all the confidence in the world with it but for days when im not running around in shorts and a tshirt I prefer my Ultra or Pro carry 1911's...both 45acp's. Both calibers have their place in my rotation. I looked at sheild 45's some time ago but for me I cant get passed the minimal capacity.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

Owning a 9mm 1.0 and a 45, I like both but prefer the 45. Everyone that's shot it expects a lot more kick and is pleasantly surprised.
And you only give up a single round of magazine capacity for the larger cartridge.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

Sounds like the 45 version shoots just fine! I appreciate the feedback! :tiphat:

TomS

Post by TomS »

I have a Shield 9 and 45. I feel the 45 is more accurate than the 9 or 40. The 45 might not seem much bigger but on the belt I notice the size and weight difference.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I agree with TomS. I also have the 9mm and .45 1.0 Shields. I tend to shoot the .45 a little better, but wheras I can comfortably pocket carry the 9mm, the .45 has to go on the belt. just a little too large for me to pocket carry it. Either works well as an EDC.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

cant say much for the shield line but i have a full size M1 in 40 S&W and it love it.
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”