Accidental discharge (years ago)

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tboesche
Posts in topic: 1

Accidental discharge (years ago)

Post by tboesche »

Back in 1984, YES, I can remember that far back, I was home on Leave at my parents house in Tulsa. I had taken the Mini-14 out and fired a few hundred rounds thru it. I had installed a full mag and fire 2 rounds when I decided to go home. I placed the gun in the back of my Rx-7 with the mag still inserted and the safety on. MISTAKE #1. Once I got home I went to my bedroom and dropped the mag out of the gun and thumbed the rounds out of the mag. 28 rounds layin on the bed, I fired 2 That's 30. MISTAKE # 2. Now, KNOWING the gun was empty, I placed the muzzle on the bed and pulled the trigger. MISTAKE #3. You guessed it....BOOM! The round went thru the mattresses, out the side of my bed frame(it was an antique), into the wall of my bedroom, exiting thru the wall into my mothers closet, thru 5 of her evening dresses, thru another wall and impacted an antique steemer trunk and disintigrated. We never found the bullet. When my parents returned home sometime later the first words out of my mothers mouth were..."Smells like gun powder." They found me in her closet trying to patch the wall with spackling compound. Gun safety became VERY real for me THEN AND THERE. It is hard to learn lessons the hard way but occasionally that is the best way to learn. Luckily no one was hurt.

Just a reminder....EVERY GUN IS LOADED ALL THE TIME, until you have personally checked the chamber TWICE.

BE SAFE OUT THERE!
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

Laneman

Post by Laneman »

EVERY GUN IS LOADED ALL THE TIME, until you have personally checked the chamber TWICE
Glad to hear no one got hurt.
I'd like to add to your saying- here's mine. ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED ALL THE TIME. This policy keeps me from ever pointing a gun at someone even if I know it has been checked.

Supercat

I have been working with my boys on this

Post by Supercat »

I purchased my 13 year olds some replica 1911's air soft guns about 4 years ago to train them on firarms safety before we started going to shot the real stuff at the range.

That was the one thing that took the longest to drill into them. not the actual rule of a gun is always loaded but checking it to verify.

They clean firarms with me all the time and I would check one and hand it to one son saying "give this to your brother to clean(as a test to see if he would check the gun even though I just did).

I finally got them to check when it enters thier hand and when it leaves.

Future CHL'ers both
Big round, Little round, Having one is what counts!!!

Return to “Never Again!!”