Scenario: Lunatic trying to knock down your door

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Wildscar
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Wildscar »

I know every situation is going to be different. but I can say that if I have a advantage of waiting for the guy to break down the door then I will wait for the door to come down so I can get a visual on him. I would not shoot thought the door in a scenario like that.

However I would shoot thought the door if I had a scenario like the one pictured below. I would not hesitate to shoot thought the door because I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that if he got inside it would be all over. That's a scene from The Hitcher remake where Sophia Bush's character is on one side of the door and the hitcher is on the other side fighting over the door. She had a gun in hand but did not use it. (Ill not give any more of the movie away for those who have not seen it.) This is a scenario that I would not hesitate to shoot thought the door because I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that if he got inside it would be all over.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LedJedi »

jason wrote:Not sure banging on the door alone would get me to fire my weapon. Without positive identification of the target, there is too much risk involved in shooting through a door.

First, I'd call 911. I'd let them know I am armed and in fear of my life.

Second, I, would make sure my family was in a safe place away from possible stray bullets (don't know if the guy at the door is armed).

Third, I would take up a position behind cover at an angle to the door.

I would shout to the potential intruder that I am armed and that he needs to cease his actions immediately.

If the intruder broke through the door, at this point, I would feel completely justified in firing my weapon.
+1 I think this pretty much covers it all.

funny story, something similar to one of the stories above happened when I was a kid. Mom's angry x was banging on the front door. The new BF was there. He snuck out the back, circled around and had a little conversation at gunpoint with the would-be knocker. Never saw him again.

Not sure i would do the same, but thought it was kinda cool at the time. Shoulda seen the look on that guys face when he saw the shotgun.

starrbuck
Posts in topic: 3

Post by starrbuck »

This just happened in Dallas over the holiday weekend. One man dead...

Recent news article on DMN:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 47864.html

Big thread here on TexasCHLforum.com:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... php?t=9816
Springfield XD(m) 9mm 3.8 | Springfield XD-45 Compact | Springfield XD-9 Service
Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP | Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm w/Crimson Trace | Walther PPS 9mm
Bushmaster AR-15 w/Magpul pistol grip and foregrip, Bushnell holosight

I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

starrbuck wrote:This just happened in Dallas over the holiday weekend. One man dead...

Recent news article on DMN:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 47864.html

Big thread here on TexasCHLforum.com:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... php?t=9816
:skep: That thread and story is what promted this thread. Trying to keep the what if senarios out of the case info. :thumbsup:
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource

starrbuck

Post by starrbuck »

Wildscar wrote: :skep: That thread and story is what promted this thread. Trying to keep the what if senarios out of the case info. :thumbsup:
So sorry, but there was no link pointing this thread back to that one, so I didn't know.
Springfield XD(m) 9mm 3.8 | Springfield XD-45 Compact | Springfield XD-9 Service
Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP | Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm w/Crimson Trace | Walther PPS 9mm

BShook

Post by BShook »

jason wrote:Not sure banging on the door alone would get me to fire my weapon. Without positive identification of the target, there is too much risk involved in shooting through a door.

First, I'd call 911. I'd let them know I am armed and in fear of my life.

Second, I, would make sure my family was in a safe place away from possible stray bullets (don't know if the guy at the door is armed).

Third, I would take up a position behind cover at an angle to the door.

I would shout to the potential intruder that I am armed and that he needs to cease his actions immediately.

If the intruder broke through the door, at this point, I would feel completely justified in firing my weapon.
Absolutely!

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

starrbuck wrote:
Wildscar wrote: :skep: That thread and story is what promted this thread. Trying to keep the what if senarios out of the case info. :thumbsup:
So sorry, but there was no link pointing this thread back to that one, so I didn't know.
No malice was intended by what I said. I am sorry if that’s how it was taken.
Wildscar
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource

starrbuck

Post by starrbuck »

Wildscar wrote:No malice was intended by what I said. I am sorry if that’s how it was taken.
No harm done, thanks.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Several years ago I had a guy trying to open my door with a key. My dog was going nuts and woke me up. I could see him out my side window and asked him what he thought he was doing. He told me to let him in. When I asked why, he said it was his house. When I informed he was mistaken he said 'sorry' and took off. He was obviously drunk. My 357 was holstered on my bookshelf next to the door ready for service. No need but I wouldn't have answered the door without it. It was-btw-May 5. At least he spoke English. I don't think I would ever shoot through a door.

TacShot
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TacShot »

Good Picture Wildscar! Personally, I'd probably give up and let her come in.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

TacShot wrote:Good Picture Wildscar! Personally, I'd probably give up and let her come in.
No No You got it ack ards. She was trying to keep the bad guy out.
Wildscar
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Wildscar wrote:
TacShot wrote:Good Picture Wildscar! Personally, I'd probably give up and let her come in.
I think he was funning you!

BTW Wildscar, you need a new keyboard...your b's and w's aren't working. :lol:

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

hi-power wrote:
Wildscar wrote:

And taht was me bnieg fnuny. :thumbsup: As you can see you wlil slitl be albe to raed tihs eevn toghuh I hvae it all mexid up. Cool huh.
Wildscar
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Wildscar wrote:
hi-power wrote:
Wildscar wrote:

And taht was me bnieg fnuny. :thumbsup: As you can see you wlil slitl be albe to raed tihs eevn toghuh I hvae it all mexid up. Cool huh.

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

wheelgun1958 wrote:Several years ago I had a guy trying to open my door with a key. My dog was going nuts and woke me up. I could see him out my side window and asked him what he thought he was doing. He told me to let him in. When I asked why, he said it was his house. When I informed he was mistaken he said 'sorry' and took off. He was obviously drunk. My 357 was holstered on my bookshelf next to the door ready for service. No need but I wouldn't have answered the door without it. It was-btw-May 5. At least he spoke English. I don't think I would ever shoot through a door.
That reminds me of funny story -- or at least I can laugh about it now. A year or so ago as I was leaving for work, I was going to lock the door and the key wouldn't go into the lock. It looked like something was jammed into the lock. That was disturbing enough, but then I got some hemistats, pulled out the metal and saw it was the end of a key...

the key MATCHED the end of MY HOUSE KEY...

I was thinking - not only was someone trying to GET INTO MY HOUSE< but THEY HAD A KEY TO MY HOUSE!!!

I called my husband to make sure he hadn't lost his key, he said "no". then I called the police to make a report. The policeman took the report but treated me like I was a lunatic, or had given a key out to someone and that would mean it was my fault if someone "broke in"...

The only key we didn't have accounted for was from years ago -- Mr Fosforos's keys had been stolen in his jacket w/wallet -- but that had been 7 years ago (and 40 miles from where we live) so it was unlikely that any thief would have kept them that long.

I was totally freaked out and a little ticked off that the policeman didn't take me more seriously.

I went to the hardware store, bought and changed all the locks. I was all hot and sweaty and just finishing up by the time Mr Fos got home.

We were talking about it and THEN I caught a glance of his keyring. It had a the end of a BROKEN KEY hanging on the key ring. HMPH!! HE BROKE IT OFF in the latch the night before and didn't notice.

When I called to ask him if he lost a key he said "No", but he didn't look at his keyring. HMPH! I was worn out but at least relieved that we didn't have some wierd stalker staking out our house.

Return to “Never Again!!”