CHL and the house call..

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Right2Carry »

BrassMonkey wrote:Maybe this should be locked?
I don't think it should be locked, I just fine it funny that someone says well you can trust the guy because he has a CHL and he passed a background check.

I find it funny that the same people who are worried about BG's at every corner, and about getting robbed at someones home on a sevice call, are the same ones talking about taking a complete strangers word that he has a CHL. Now that is funny.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Dougmyers5
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dougmyers5 »

To each his own!

Its all about choices in this world and we all have to make them!
2be1-ask1
-----------------
DougMyers
NRA Endowed Life Member
CHL Issued June 2007
Member # 1567
http://www.texasopencarry.com/

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPBrown »

Right2Carry wrote:
llwatson wrote:Right2Carry,

I, too, think it is ironic that your handle, your signature, and your views are in such wide disagreement.

But, beside that, you have said the same thing over and over and over, and I don't think you have swayed anyone to your side. It's getting tiresome now. Please, let it go.
There is nothing at all ironic about my signature, the fact remains that everyman should be able to carry, does that extend into my castle, that depends on the person.

My whole point to this conversation was that someone responded that it shouldn't matter if a CHL person is carrying in your home they are trustworthy, and yet not one person who made that statement could offer any way to verify the claim.

I beleive in dealing with facts and if someone is going to make a claim that you should beleive a person is trustworthy just because he says he has a CHL, well than I have some ocean front property in AZ.

I will tell you something else. What is more on the rise, service people being robbed and attacked making service calls or home invasions? My chances are greater that the guy showing up at the door is going to rob me or worse, than of a service person showing up for a service call.

BG's pretending to be LEO's, and it won't be long before they figure out that they can pretend to be service personel either.

The biggest question is who is at more of a risk of something bad happening? The service man or the homeowner? IMHO I think the homeowner since home invasions are up all over.

Lets just agree to disagree on this topic.
You should know the company that you call. The company SHOULD have the service vehicle marked (rolling billboard for some). If not, I would use another service company. State law requires license numbers to be on the truck as well (A/C, Plumbing, Electrical, Pest control). If not, you should call another company. How would BG know what company you call?

Given this fact, it is a good idea to find a reputable company that you trust in all of the above listed industries and use them. This way you have a working knowledge of the company itself.

We use thesame plumber, electrician, and pest control companies we have used for years (still looking for a good a/c company. LOL). I know the trucks and can identify it as soon as the doorbell rings.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

RPBrown wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
llwatson wrote:Right2Carry,

I, too, think it is ironic that your handle, your signature, and your views are in such wide disagreement.

But, beside that, you have said the same thing over and over and over, and I don't think you have swayed anyone to your side. It's getting tiresome now. Please, let it go.
There is nothing at all ironic about my signature, the fact remains that everyman should be able to carry, does that extend into my castle, that depends on the person.

My whole point to this conversation was that someone responded that it shouldn't matter if a CHL person is carrying in your home they are trustworthy, and yet not one person who made that statement could offer any way to verify the claim.

I beleive in dealing with facts and if someone is going to make a claim that you should beleive a person is trustworthy just because he says he has a CHL, well than I have some ocean front property in AZ.

I will tell you something else. What is more on the rise, service people being robbed and attacked making service calls or home invasions? My chances are greater that the guy showing up at the door is going to rob me or worse, than of a service person showing up for a service call.

BG's pretending to be LEO's, and it won't be long before they figure out that they can pretend to be service personel either.

The biggest question is who is at more of a risk of something bad happening? The service man or the homeowner? IMHO I think the homeowner since home invasions are up all over.

Lets just agree to disagree on this topic.
You should know the company that you call. The company SHOULD have the service vehicle marked (rolling billboard for some). If not, I would use another service company. State law requires license numbers to be on the truck as well (A/C, Plumbing, Electrical, Pest control). If not, you should call another company. How would BG know what company you call?

Given this fact, it is a good idea to find a reputable company that you trust in all of the above listed industries and use them. This way you have a working knowledge of the company itself.

We use thesame plumber, electrician, and pest control companies we have used for years (still looking for a good a/c company. LOL). I know the trucks and can identify it as soon as the doorbell rings.
Thats all well and good, but since most people on here like to play what if lets give it a try. What if the service company you called has their truck car jacked on the way to your house. Car jackers look at the list of scheduled appoints and arrive to take you of your things or worse. People steal commercial vehicles all the time and your address and name will be in the truck.

See how all of this can steamroll into scenarios that just aren't likely to happen. Could it happen, you bet it could, but what are the chances.

IMHO I just think it is a bad idea, not because I am an ANTI, but because that is my opinion when dealing with people in their homes.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

gmckinl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gmckinl »

BrassMonkey wrote:Maybe this should be locked?
Sorry my attempt at humor failed. Did you not see the ROFL smiley next to the goofy badge? I was just trying to lighten the mood. I couldn't believe no one had put one up yet. Oh well. Sometimes the joke bombs.

I'll be here all week, be sure to tip your waiters :lol:
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

phddan
Posts in topic: 12

Post by phddan »

It has been suggested many, many times that to keep law abiding CHLers out of your house, all you need to do is post, or give verbal.
Both Right2Carry, and BrassMonkey have refused to address this option.
Why is this??

Dan

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 18

Post by BrassMonkey »

I didn'f fail to address anything. I said if I see it, then I will give them a verbal. If I don't see it, I don't care.

phddan wrote:It has been suggested many, many times that to keep law abiding CHLers out of your house, all you need to do is post, or give verbal.
Why is this??

Dan
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

phddan wrote:It has been suggested many, many times that to keep law abiding CHLers out of your house, all you need to do is post, or give verbal.
Why is this??

Dan
I haven't refused to address anything. I know what the law says, but again I think that just because you can and it is allowed doesn't mean you should always do it.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Liberty »

Right2Carry wrote:To compare me to anti is laughable at best. The fact is I do service jobs on the side and not once would I think about entering someones private residence armed, its a little thing called RESPECT. I don't know how they feel about guns and their home is PRIVATE property, not a public business.
What surprises me is that a CHLer would disarm another CHLer. That a CHL holder doesn't RESPECT the licence and the RKBA. A service person entering anothers property sets himself up to a dangerous situation. A homeowner should be able to RESPECT that.
Right2Carry wrote: The problem as I see it is some of the people on this forum want to be RESPECTED for their right, but seem to have a problem with RESPECTING others and their rights.

Unless you own your own company or work for a small time operation I doubt company policy allows you to carry into a customers home.
You definately have a right to deny anyone into your home. If you feel that way you should make up some cards or paper with 30.06 wording and hand it to the service personell. I would not enter your property. I would not allow anyone who works for me to enter your property. Anyone who attempts to disarm me is threatening me and is a danger to me. I will not expose my self to unnecessary danger. Your private property is a much more threatening place to me than public places.
Right2Carry wrote: How would you feel if you printed or exposed your firearm and the homeowner then requests that you leave because they don't like firearms. What do you think is going to happen when they call asking for another appointment and requesting a different service person. I think the minute they state the service person was armed in their house, the company will immediately say it is against their policy and said service person will be looking for a new job.
I would feel awful that I exposed my handgun .. But I would feel awful that I were to flash in Walmart. I do not know what kind of company you work for, but not every company is anti gun. Most service companys are small, or even owner operatated. Many of these service companys are subcontractors for larger companys. I would think it is very unwise to go into a strangers home unarmed.
Right2Carry wrote: IMHO this whole issue revolves around RESPECT. Just because I have a CHL doesn't mean it is always wise to carry a weapon. I asked in another post for someone to provide statistics on how many service personel have been robbed, killed, raped, murdered, while on a call in someones house. Pizza drivers are excluded because they are in a different category.
The pizza delivery guy doesn't have to go inside! I will not work in any place where my safety is not RESPECTED.
I don not understand how my safety has anything to do with any respect (or lack of respect)I might have for the homeowner. When you ask me to disarm you ask me to expose myself to danger.
Right2Carry wrote: Show me some statistics that say repair personel are at a high risk of being attacked by homeowners.

I guess I am an anti because I think a mans home is his CASTLE. I think some of the people on here are confusing a business that serves the public with a persons PRIVATE HOME.
A business is a safer place to go than someones home. More witnesses. I won't go to 30.06 busineses either.
Right2Carry wrote: I guess I just have more respect for the people who I provide a service to than others do. IMHO, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YOU ALWAYS SHOULD.
I have no respect for any business or persons that want to disarm me and has no RESPECT for my safety. I will gladly not do business with them.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

phddan
Posts in topic: 12

Post by phddan »

phddan wrote:
It has been suggested many, many times that to keep law abiding CHLers out of your house, all you need to do is post, or give verbal.
Why is this??

Dan
I didn'f fail to address anything. I said if I see it, then I will give them a verbal. If I don't see it, I don't care.
I haven't refused to address anything. I know what the law says, but again I think that just because you can and it is allowed doesn't mean you should always do it.

Okey Dokey :banghead: :banghead:

Dan

Sailor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Sailor »

Not carrying a gun into someone's home has nothing to do with respect...it has to do with your comfort zone. Why is NOT carrying a safety tool into someone's home respectful???? Geesh!! If you are carrying correctly, no one should know anyway.

Cody
"An APPEASER is one that feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last."--Winston Churchill

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Liberty wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:To compare me to anti is laughable at best. The fact is I do service jobs on the side and not once would I think about entering someones private residence armed, its a little thing called RESPECT. I don't know how they feel about guns and their home is PRIVATE property, not a public business.
What surprises me is that a CHLer would disarm another CHLer. That a CHL holder doesn't RESPECT the licence and the RKBA. A service person entering anothers property sets himself up to a dangerous situation. A homeowner should be able to RESPECT that.
Right2Carry wrote: The problem as I see it is some of the people on this forum want to be RESPECTED for their right, but seem to have a problem with RESPECTING others and their rights.

Unless you own your own company or work for a small time operation I doubt company policy allows you to carry into a customers home.
You definately have a right to deny anyone into your home. If you feel that way you should make up some cards or paper with 30.06 wording and hand it to the service personell. I would not enter your property. I would not allow anyone who works for me to enter your property. Anyone who attempts to disarm me is threatening me and is a danger to me. I will not expose my self to unnecessary danger. Your private property is a much more threatening place to me than public places.
Right2Carry wrote: How would you feel if you printed or exposed your firearm and the homeowner then requests that you leave because they don't like firearms. What do you think is going to happen when they call asking for another appointment and requesting a different service person. I think the minute they state the service person was armed in their house, the company will immediately say it is against their policy and said service person will be looking for a new job.
I would feel awful that I exposed my handgun .. But I would feel awful that I were to flash in Walmart. I do not know what kind of company you work for, but not every company is anti gun. Most service companys are small, or even owner operatated. Many of these service companys are subcontractors for larger companys. I would think it is very unwise to go into a strangers home unarmed.
Right2Carry wrote: IMHO this whole issue revolves around RESPECT. Just because I have a CHL doesn't mean it is always wise to carry a weapon. I asked in another post for someone to provide statistics on how many service personel have been robbed, killed, raped, murdered, while on a call in someones house. Pizza drivers are excluded because they are in a different category.
The pizza delivery guy doesn't have to go inside! I will not work in any place where my safety is not RESPECTED.
I don not understand how my safety has anything to do with any respect (or lack of respect)I might have for the homeowner. When you ask me to disarm you ask me to expose myself to danger.
Right2Carry wrote: Show me some statistics that say repair personel are at a high risk of being attacked by homeowners.

I guess I am an anti because I think a mans home is his CASTLE. I think some of the people on here are confusing a business that serves the public with a persons PRIVATE HOME.
A business is a safer place to go than someones home. More witnesses. I won't go to 30.06 busineses either.
Right2Carry wrote: I guess I just have more respect for the people who I provide a service to than others do. IMHO, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YOU ALWAYS SHOULD.
I have no respect for any business or persons that want to disarm me and has no RESPECT for my safety. I will gladly not do business with them.
OMG please tell me I didn't just read that service personel were more at risk entering a home than the homeowner, LOL. PLease tell me you weren't serious about that statement and it was a joke.

I have asked several times for statistics that prove service personel are at a high risk of being attacked in a homeowners house, so far nothing. Well there was one person on here who was robbed in a parking lot of a business over 30 years ago, not sure that qualifies as being robbed inside a residence.

Home invasions are on the rise, homes being robbed on the rise, if you don't believe me look in the news. I have yet to see one story about a repairman getting attacked, robbed, or anything else by a homeowner while performing a service.

The homeowner is by far at a greater risk of being robbed, raped, assualted and if you don't beleive that, then you don't watch the news or read the paper.

I have not once said anything about disarming a CHLer. I have stated several times that the majority of CHLers are trustworthy. I perform service calls but I leave my weapon in my truck or car before entering the home because I respect the fact that the person may be an ANTI or just someone that doesn't want a stranger entering their home with a weapon.

Have I exposed myself to some amount of risk by doing that, probably but in the large scheme of things the risk is so small that it amounts to almost nothing. IMHO I take a bigger risk everyday driving to work and back.

Once again I will say we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

I have said my peace lets just move on.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPBrown »

I have asked several times for statistics that prove service personel are at a high risk of being attacked in a homeowners house, so far nothing. Well there was one person on here who was robbed in a parking lot of a business over 30 years ago, not sure that qualifies as being robbed inside a residence..
Read the whole post please. As stated, I was also robbed outside a customers HOME in broad daylight as well. This happened only 5 years ago. Now, I admit that it WAS NOT in the house, it was close enough for me.

Again, if posted or verbally informed, I will comply of course.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

iflyabeech
Posts in topic: 8

Post by iflyabeech »

I have cleaned carpets in some sketchy parts of San Antone. I wish I had had my CHL back then. (a few years ago) Its not only in the house, its back and forth to the truck! I am never worried about showing my weapon or printing because I conceal properly.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

RPBrown wrote:[quote
I have asked several times for statistics that prove service personel are at a high risk of being attacked in a homeowners house, so far nothing. Well there was one person on here who was robbed in a parking lot of a business over 30 years ago, not sure that qualifies as being robbed inside a residence..
Read the whole post please. As stated, I was also robbed outside a customers HOME in broad daylight as well. This happened only 5 years ago. Now, I admit that it WAS NOT in the house, it was close enough for me.

Again, if posted or verbally informed, I will comply of course.[/quote]

Did the homeowner rob you? My guess is no.

Return to “Never Again!!”