So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

A laugh and a lesson.

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

One of my flying magazines (AOPA Pilot) has a regular monthly column entitled "Never Again." In it are stories of close calls for pilots, most of whom made a subtle but critical mistake, or series of mistakes, that almost cost them their lives. Many times I've read Never Again stories and thought how easy it would have been to make the same mistake.

Well, let's take a cue from the flyboys, tell a few stories on ourselves, laugh a bit, and hopefully we can all learn something! But remember, this is a "G" rated forum. :lol:

Also, I'm going to move a couple of posts to this new forum.

Chas.

Patrick McCarthy
Posts in topic: 1

flying

Post by Patrick McCarthy »

What do you fly? I flew a Piper Cherokee 235 for about 10 years
pakmcc
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Not much these days, I'm building an RV-7A. I flew Mooneys and Grumman Tigers for a few years and really enjoyed both. My wife learned in a C-172 and a Warrior, but she hasn't flown in a good while either.

I wish I had more time to work on the plane, but work does have a way of getting in the way of fun!

Chas.

jbenat

Should Be Required Reading!!!

Post by jbenat »

I'm sorta new to this forum and I just got through reading many of the posts by forum members re: accidental discharges. Very eye opening! Make great required reading for anyone obtaining a CHL or anyone who handles firearms for any reason. Maybe Charles could gather it in a book and make a few bucks? Paladin should go on the speaker cirquit. What a experience.
I don't pretend to be a gun expert by any means but I have never understood why anyone would want a gun with the safety on the trigger or a gun that requires you to pull the trigger to break it down. There seems to be a lot of very good pistols and revolvers on the market that are a lot safer.
Thanks for the great info.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

+1, +1, & +1 Jbenat. That is what I have said for a while.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Hi! Another flyer here. I have most of my time (about 2500 hrs) in Piper Commanche's. Haven't flown now in about 8 years though - sometimes I miss it.

Dave B.

John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 2

I did not fly planes:

Post by John R. Fuller »

I did make five jumps from aircraft back in 1990. I sometimes wonder if we made CHL training like US Army Airborne Training, maybe there would be fewer problems with negligent discharges and such.

That said, I am probably the biggest and goofy guy around. Mr. Murphy knows me well. This is a good collumn. Thanks
I am not the first or the last...

KD5NRH

Re: I did not fly planes:

Post by KD5NRH »

John R. Fuller wrote:I did make five jumps from aircraft back in 1990. I sometimes wonder if we made CHL training like US Army Airborne Training, maybe there would be fewer problems with negligent discharges and such.
As in, "You screw up, you go splat?"

I like it. Too much prevention of natural selection these days.

John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John R. Fuller »

Plus 1+

WHOOAH AIRBORNE!!!

P.S. That is so more inspiring than ""woo woo Jugalo!"
I am not the first or the last...

sjones

Post by sjones »

Well,heres another ex pilot,took my private in piper cherokes in 1970,switched over to beechcrafts for my commercial and instrument rating,but was about 45 hours short when they upped the minimum to 30 flying hours a month,was taking it on my G I ,I was working 6 days a week and there was just no way I could keep up with those hours,so I had to drop out,but I really loved it while I was doing it.I know this hasn't anything to do with guns or safety,but one thing I can tell you is if you are getting ready to lower the hammer on a loaded round be sure you are watching what you are doing and not let your attention be on something else,almost shot my foot off that way once. sj

T3hK1w1

Post by T3hK1w1 »

I'm gonna imitate Dr. Frankenstein and try to ressurect this long-dead topic. O.O I personally am not qualified to fly, but I have flown with my father in his 1947 Stinson 108-2 many times, and I think it is one of the few things in life more fun than firearms.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

T3hK1w1 wrote:I'm gonna imitate Dr. Frankenstein and try to ressurect this long-dead topic. O.O I personally am not qualified to fly, but I have flown with my father in his 1947 Stinson 108-2 many times, and I think it is one of the few things in life more fun than firearms.
Last month when I flew from Albuquerque to Lubbock, there was a squadron of F16s that took off just before us. I sooooooooo wanted to change places with one of those AF guys.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

klinejg

Charles Flying

Post by klinejg »

I am a local flight instructor and have even offered to give Charles a **FREE** Biennial Flight Review in MY airplane. But no! Can I have some help here?
Jim Kline

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Charles Flying

klinejg wrote:I am a local flight instructor and have even offered to give Charles a **FREE** Biennial Flight Review in MY airplane. But no! Can I have some help here?
I want you folks to know what a great sense of humor Jim has. I have NO TAIL-DRAGGER TIME but he wants to watch me try to pass a biennial in his. :lol: My instructors have shaken their heads a few times over the years, but this would be the first time one died laughing!

If any of you folks want to learn to fly a tail-dragger, Jim's a former Naval aviator (a/k/a fighter jock) and he knows his stuff.

Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If you were closer Jim I would trade you some LTA time for fixed wing! :grin:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Never Again!!”