Where you go for your supplies locally

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MadDawg
Posts in topic: 1

Where you go for your supplies locally

Post by MadDawg »

I live in Houston inner Beltway west side. Were here in Houston can you look at/puchase Dillon loaders (550B), powder, Dies, etc.... I just started to consider loading my own and would like to see this stuff first hand. Be able to talk to someone and read a few books. I want to be able to for now reload .40 S&W, .308, .270, 243, .223, and .45 acp. I already visited CC on the west side.

Thanks,

MadDawg

j1132s
Posts in topic: 2

Post by j1132s »

The best way is to find somebody willing to let you have a look at their setup. This will give you the best idea on reloading.

Also, you may want to consider multiple presses instead of just one because you'll find changing dies and (especially) primer feeds a real pain. (E.g. your 45acp and .40s&w use large/small primers).

As I recall, there way some talk of a reloading tutorial/class of some sorts on this forum a month ago or so. I'd be interested in attending something like that too.

j1132s

Post by j1132s »

Oh, locally, I find gun shows to have good prices on supplies. Presses and other hardware, I buy them at Midwayusa.com.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I'm unaware of anyplace locally that sells Dillon, however I have a 550b and am in Spring and would be willing to let you see my set up.

I'd be interested in someplace locally to buy reloading supplies as I'm only aware of Carter's Country and thier stock is limited to small quantities of components and RCBS for equipment.

The Dillon is the 80lb gorilla, but if budget is an issue I will not hesitate to recommend the Lee Loadmaster after seeing and operating a fellow forum member's Lee. For the cost it is a good machine.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

You might want to check out Gander Mountain. They have stores in Spring, Sugar Land, and somewhere out on 290. I don't know for a fact that they sell presses, but they sell a lot of shooting equipment.

- Jim

bj

Post by bj »

Might want to look at Carter Country if you want I live in South east
(BW 8 and 45 South) have a look at my set up However I have been ysing Midway and Natches onthe web. B.J.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

seamusTX wrote:You might want to check out Gander Mountain. They have stores in Spring, Sugar Land, and somewhere out on 290. I don't know for a fact that they sell presses, but they sell a lot of shooting equipment.

- Jim
The Gander Mountain in Spring appears to be getting out of reloading. They haven't restocked anything for months. The only presses they have are RCBS and those are in short supply.

ShootingStar

Post by ShootingStar »

MadDawg,

I started out with a 550B loading .45 which worked very well. Later, when I wanted to start loading .223, I decided to convert the 550B to .223 and buy a 650 for .45 as I shoot a lot more of that. Also, the 650 has a place for a powder check die that will BEEP if you have a double charge OR no charge at all in the case. I have a couple of friends who have blown up guns with either a squib or double charge.

With Rifle cartidges, I really like the 550B because you can manually turn the shell plate which you can't do with the 650. As you know, loading bottle neck cartridges is a lot more involved than straight wall pistol.

I bought my 650 and even some used equipment from a guy by the name of Fred, but don't remember his last name. He is a Dillon dealer, but haven't needed anything since my initial purchase in 2003 so I can't be sure if he's still in business. He was good to do business with and gave me 5% off the retail on new equipment.

Here's his info:
Fred
640 W. 28th Street
Houston 77008
(713) 862-1559

You're welcome to check out my setup, I live in League City. One more thing, Dillon now makes a case feed for the 550 which speeds things up quite a bit. Just saw it in the new catalog so if you're thinking you might want some speed in the future then that might be the ticket if you don't want to spend the extra for the 650. The main advantage of the 650 over the 550 is that it has an extra station for the powder check die. Could save your gun and more than pay for itself.
A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. A Republic is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision. - Benjamin Franklin

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Fred is Fred Gallard

His work number is (713) 862-1559
Email is: fgallard@houston.rr.com

Fred carries a lot of reloading supplies.
If he doesn't have it (or can't get it), I would go to:

Bailey's House of Guns (about 5 minutes South of the AstroDome)

or to one of the Carters locations

or to Gander Mountain.

I am a bit odd.
I don't buy all componants that often.

I normaly plan ahead and buy quantity at matches.
I don't change powder that often and I buy Montana Gold bullets by the case.
The next big match in Houston is the Space City Challenge 3rd weekend in April.
http://www.texassouthsection.com/
We normaly have at least one vendor that will bring in all the powder, primers, and bullets you can afford.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

John

Post by John »

tomneal wrote:I am a bit odd.
well, we wern't going to say anything :smilelol5: Sorry, couldn't resist. :razz:
JohnC

DMG

Post by DMG »

There is also 10-Ring (or X-Ring) in NW Houston, 1/4 off of Jones Road, between FM 1960 and Grant Road. I cannot remember the name of the street they are on. They have a fairly good selection, although not deep, and the cost is reasonable [no particular bargains, but not rip-off prices].

DMG

Return to “Reloading Forum”