I PHONE 4 - 16GB verses IPHONE 4 - 32GB

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

AEA
Posts in topic: 13

Re: I PHONE 4 - 16GB verses IPHONE 4 - 32GB

Post by AEA »

For me, who lives in a rural area, I have the iPhone for convenience. I also have a data card from AT&T in a wireless router for my wireless network for computer, printer, etc......

Using my "Wi-fi" to update my iPhone is a waste of my money as far as I am concerned.

Stopping at McDonald's to update to the Cloud over their Wi-Fi is not acceptable to me.

I've enjoyed the iPhone. It is a really neat phone. But, when my contract ends I will be going back to a regular Cell phone (voice only).
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RottenApple »

AEA wrote:For me, who lives in a rural area, I have the iPhone for convenience. I also have a data card from AT&T in a wireless router for my wireless network for computer, printer, etc......

Actually you have a data card from AT&T in your wireless router to enable to you connect to the internet via AT&T's 3G service when you are at home and/or use AT&T's digital phoneline via your internet connection. The card has nothing to do with your connecting from your iPhone to your computer via WiFi syncing which is coming in iOS 5.

Using my "Wi-fi" to update my iPhone is a waste of my money as far as I am concerned.

You aren't paying for anything over WiFi. WiFi exists only in localized areas (work, home, coffee shop, etc), therefore there is no waste of money. Now if your internet connection at home is over 3G, then regardless of whether you downloaded an update to your computer and then updated through iTunes or downloaded the update over the air, you would be paying data charges. But that has nothing to do with your phone or computer, that's your internet connection.

Stopping at McDonald's to update to the Cloud over their Wi-Fi is not acceptable to me.

You do not need to use iCloud syncing or OTA updates if you don't want to. You can still update via iTunes as you do now.

I've enjoyed the iPhone. It is a really neat phone. But, when my contract ends I will be going back to a regular Cell phone (voice only).

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

BrianSW99 wrote:I think they said you'll get 5GB of iCould storage for free. Also, it apparently defaults to only syncing over WiFi, so it wouldn't be using your data plan. I haven't read if AT&T is going to allow syncing over the cell network or not.

My wife has the 200MB plan and almost never goes over. She only uses it for email, calendar and very limited web browsing.

Brian
Just to clarify, the 5GB of iCloud storage has nothing to do with your data plan. The data plan limitations are from AT&T. The iCloud storage is from Apple. When something gets uploaded from your phone to iCloud, it *WILL* count against your AT&T or Verizon data plan. Of course, if you've got an unlimited plan from either Verizon or AT&T, it's not really an issue.

AEA

Post by AEA »

MY Private Wi-Fi (data card in wireless router) is used to connect to AT&T 3G which connects my computer to iTunes which has my iPhone connected to sync and update.

Data thru my data card in my wireless router is being charged for the update of my iPhone. And also for updates to my iTunes software as well.
Last edited by AEA on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1911's RULE!

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 6

Post by BrianSW99 »

RottenApple wrote:
BrianSW99 wrote:I think they said you'll get 5GB of iCould storage for free. Also, it apparently defaults to only syncing over WiFi, so it wouldn't be using your data plan. I haven't read if AT&T is going to allow syncing over the cell network or not.

My wife has the 200MB plan and almost never goes over. She only uses it for email, calendar and very limited web browsing.

Brian
Just to clarify, the 5GB of iCloud storage has nothing to do with your data plan. The data plan limitations are from AT&T. The iCloud storage is from Apple. When something gets uploaded from your phone to iCloud, it *WILL* count against your AT&T or Verizon data plan. Of course, if you've got an unlimited plan from either Verizon or AT&T, it's not really an issue.
It might not count against your data plan if what I read is correct and it only syncs with iCloud when it's connected to WiFi.

Brian

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 6

Post by BrianSW99 »

AEA wrote:MY Private Wi-Fi (data card in wireless router) is used to connect to AT&T 3G which connects my computer to iTunes which has my iPhone connected to sync and update.

Data thru my data card in my wireless router is being charged for the update of my iPhone. And also for updates to my iTunes software as well.
You can sync the iPhone with iTunes without having an internet connection. If you don't need any of the new features that come in the new iOS releases, just don't update to it, or maybe skip a release or two before updating. If your media library doesn't change very often, there's really not even a need to sync all that frequently. I think I probably sync mine about once a month or so.

Brian

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

BrianSW99 wrote:It might not count against your data plan if what I read is correct and it only syncs with iCloud when it's connected to WiFi.

Brian
Syncing with iCloud is on and works over cellular by default. You can disable iCloud syncing completely but there has been no confirmation about the ability to disable iCloud syncing over cellular as of yet. It's the iTunes WiFi sync that is over WiFi only. There's not even a cellular option for iTunes WiFi sync.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

AEA wrote:MY Private Wi-Fi (data card in wireless router) is used to connect to AT&T 3G which connects my computer to iTunes which has my iPhone connected to sync and update.

In that case, you are quite correct. One point though, OTA (Over-The-Air) updates of the iPhone are Delta updates. That means that it's only the changes between your current iOS and the new iOS. Whereas updates via iTunes will be Alpha updates (i.e. - the complete iOS). So whereas the update file downloaded via iTunes will be 300~500 MB, the Delta OTA update directly to your phone will be about 50 MB. So OTA updates would be significantly less expensive for you and those in your position.

And FYI, your iTunes WiFi sync from your iPhone to iTunes on your computer won't cost you anything because there is no transmission leaving your house via 3G. It's all internal over WiFi only.

Just curious, but do you not have a better option for internet in your area?

AEA

Post by AEA »

Now........

Carl, has this thread helped you decide on the 16gb or the 32gb model and are you going to take the plunge?
1911's RULE!

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by carlson1 »

Yea Alan think it has talked me into staying with my old Blackberry. :)

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

carlson1 wrote:Yea Alan think it has talked me into staying with my old Blackberry. :)
Wait, I thought this was like calling 911 where whoever replies first is right :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

AEA

Post by AEA »

RottenApple wrote: Just curious, but do you not have a better option for internet in your area?
No better option other than Satellite, which I had before for 5 years! Got tired of the lags and the FAP (Fair Access Policy) and dumped Hughesnet.
1911's RULE!

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LikesShinyThings »

AEA wrote:
RottenApple wrote: Just curious, but do you not have a better option for internet in your area?
No better option other than Satellite, which I had before for 5 years! Got tired of the lags and the FAP (Fair Access Policy) and dumped Hughesnet.
I know the feeling. I JUST squeaked in to able to get DSL. I have a friend stuck on Hughesnet. I started trying to figure out how to get inet via cell service, and had miserable luck - can you give a quick hint as to what to search for in researching this online - type of service to look for, one or more provider, etc?
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

AEA

Post by AEA »

All the large cell carriers offer usb modems for you to use the cell service with your home computer or laptop. You can get a data card (usb modem) that you can run from a single computer or instead of putting it into a single computer and using the provider's connection software, you just put it into a wireless router (like a cradlepoint) and no connection software is needed.

Then multiple computers in your household can share the one data card thru the router (including wireless printers).

The problem usually is that when you are as rural as I am, you may not have cell coverage. If you do have cell coverage, it may be only EDGE (2G).

EDGE is still better than dial-up, but a bit slower than satellite. My closest tower is 1.4mi from me and it was EDGE when I went to cellular. I complained to AT&T Management (Corp) for over a year to get them to upgrade the tower to 3G. I am in a area near lake Texoma and a lot of people are in this area and AT&T customers. I used that as leverage to get AT&T to upgrade this tower.

I said I was talking to Management and I was. I researched the Tower thru FCC and found the responsible person in AT&T for the licensing of that tower. I contacted her and she put me onto the tower manager responsible for upgrades. He strung me along for about 8 months and eventually he left the position. I contacted the new tower manager and he got onto it (as it was scheduled but no equip available). He got the equipment ordered and installed and now I have 3G since last Jan.
1911's RULE!

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Thanks for the info, AEA. I'll share that with my friend. And keep it in my back pocket for if I ever get out to the "real world" where I can't get DSL, cable, etc. :-)
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”