Excel formatting question

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Excel formatting question

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm using Excel 2010 and I'm setting up the new CHL-100 in my class spreadsheet. I have to adjust the height of several rows to make it match the one DPS has published. While I can copy formats using the "Paint" tool, it doesn't copy the row heights. Is there a way to copy the row heights from one section of the spreadsheet to another? I tried using a macro and it didn't work.

Thanks,
Chas.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Excel formatting question

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Copy/Paste should work fine with row heights, but that assumes that your other formatting is the same or you are willing to bite the bullet and reformat the other attributes. You could set up a worksheet with all the correct row heights, then copy/paste the text and other formatting to it.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

terryg

Post by terryg »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm using Excel 2010 and I'm setting up the new CHL-100 in my class spreadsheet. I have to adjust the height of several rows to make it match the one DPS has published. While I can copy formats using the "Paint" tool, it doesn't copy the row heights. Is there a way to copy the row heights from one section of the spreadsheet to another? I tried using a macro and it didn't work.

Thanks,
Chas.
Wow, that's fascinating. There is a paste special option for Column Widths - but not one for Row Heights.

This probably won't help much, but you can select several rows in a spreadsheet and when you change the width of one, they all change to the new height. But I suspect you are dealing with rows of varying heights.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Middle Age Russ wrote:Copy/Paste should work fine with row heights, but that assumes that your other formatting is the same or you are willing to bite the bullet and reformat the other attributes. You could set up a worksheet with all the correct row heights, then copy/paste the text and other formatting to it.
That's what I'm doing to copy the CHL-100's, but the row heights are not copied; i.e. they remain the default height and I have to adjust each one after pasting.

Chas.

terryg

Post by terryg »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote:Copy/Paste should work fine with row heights, but that assumes that your other formatting is the same or you are willing to bite the bullet and reformat the other attributes. You could set up a worksheet with all the correct row heights, then copy/paste the text and other formatting to it.
That's what I'm doing to copy the CHL-100's, but the row heights are not copied; i.e. they remain the default height and I have to adjust each one after pasting.

Chas.
Interesting ...

If I select and copy the entire row (by using the numbers on the left), the row height are pasted for me in the new area. If I select a block of rows and columns (like 5-8 but only extending from A through H), then the row heights are not kept when it is pasted.

Middle Age Russ

TerryG hit the nail on the head. I did not word it well before. Row Heights are only copied if the entire row or rows are selected. Cells in a row (even if you begnin in column A) will not copy the row height. The entire row must be selected. I apologize for not being more clear earlier.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

magicglock
Posts in topic: 1

Post by magicglock »

I believe you need to copy/paste special and select formats

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Middle Age Russ wrote:TerryG hit the nail on the head. I did not word it well before. Row Heights are only copied if the entire row or rows are selected. Cells in a row (even if you begnin in column A) will not copy the row height. The entire row must be selected. I apologize for not being more clear earlier.
THANK YOU GUYS!! You just made life much easier for me.

Chas.

terryg

Post by terryg »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: THANK YOU GUYS!! You just made life much easier for me.

Chas.
You are welcome. :tiphat:

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

You can also select multiple rows, right click, and set the height for all the selected rows at once.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

You can also use the <ctrl>Y (Repeat/Redo) key combination to repeat the last formatting option. For example, if you select row 5 and set the height to 45, then select row 7, hit <ctrl>Y, and row 7 will now be set to 45. I use <ctrl>Y alot.

Ryan

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I should have asked my question before putting a lot of time into the spreadsheet modification. After reading the responses, the remaining 75% of the work was done in a fraction of the time.

Now if I could have found a way to enter a cell reference that advanced by one row on a different sheet, I'd have been in great shape! That's easy in the same sheet (ex. +B27+1), but not so with references to cells in different sheets (Ex. =+Main!E15). I tried adding the +1, tried adding various parenthesis configurations, but nothing worked. Then there's the IF functions that referenced different sheets and needed to a +1, . . . I'm glad I didn't know how much trouble this was going to be when I started!

Well, it's done and I'm waiting for DPS to bless it so life with the new CHL-100 will be as easy as it was with the old one.

Chas.

Middle Age Russ

I'm glad you got it squared away, Charles. If it turns out that you need to modify it further and would appreciate further assistance, just let us know.
Russ

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I think IF needs to a be a condition in a solver problem?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

gigag04 wrote:I think IF needs to a be a condition in a solver problem?
I was able to use the IF function, but I had to manually put in cell references that I couldn't set as absolute addresses.

Chas.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”