Firefox problems

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Firefox problems

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Firefox is my favorite browser primarily because of the web developer tools available as an add-on. In the last several weeks, I have had the following problems on an intermittent but frequent basis: 1) webpages don't render correctly (breaks out of frames, tables, CMS templates, etc.); 2) "problem loading page" error messages; and 3) taking a long time to load pages. None of these problems are occurring with Internet Explorer 8.

Is anyone else having trouble with Firefox?

Chas.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Firefox problems

Post by RPB »

no problems here
version 10.0.2
(Help ... About Firefox)
IIRC, it updated itself a couple weeks ago.
no problems here
Last edited by RPB on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sugar land dave »

I would try disabling add-ons a few at a time. you may well narrow it down to one that is causing your problems.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

koolaid

Post by koolaid »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Firefox is my favorite browser primarily because of the web developer tools available as an add-on. In the last several weeks, I have had the following problems on an intermittent but frequent basis: 1) webpages don't render correctly (breaks out of frames, tables, CMS templates, etc.); 2) "problem loading page" error messages; and 3) taking a long time to load pages. None of these problems are occurring with Internet Explorer 8.

Is anyone else having trouble with Firefox?

Chas.
Can you provide a list of the plugins you have installed? It is likely a problem with one of them.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JJVP »

I also been having similar issues with Firefox the last few months. It appears much slower than it used to be, and not I have not added any new plug-ins on quite a while, so that is not the problem. If anything I have less plug-in that I used to have due to all the updates making old plug-in incompatible with the new version. And that is another issue, it feels like every other week they have a new version and then updates to the new version every other day.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

sugar land dave wrote:I would try disabling add-ons a few at a time. you may well narrow it down to one that is causing your problems.
+1

I have 10.0.1 and have not had any problems.

This page lists some solutions:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Websites_look_wrong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

stroo

Post by stroo »

I had problems until I upgraded to Firefox 10. Since then no problems.

sugar land dave

JJVP wrote:I also been having similar issues with Firefox the last few months. It appears much slower than it used to be, and not I have not added any new plug-ins on quite a while, so that is not the problem. If anything I have less plug-in that I used to have due to all the updates making old plug-in incompatible with the new version. And that is another issue, it feels like every other week they have a new version and then updates to the new version every other day.
Some add-ons make calls to other websites for various reasons. If there is a DNS problem there then the add-on could have to time-out on the call. That would make a previously working Firefox slow down.

Plus if you are blocking scripts or cookies, that can affect page layout.
NRA Life Member

AEA

Post by AEA »

I was having the same problems......
Waiting while little wheel is going in the backwards direction.........
Then time out.......
Slow loading pages
Etc......

I got sick of it and got the latest beta (11.0) and it is working much better! More like FF used to be with regard to speed.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I used to have Adobe issues with Firefox, but use Foxit Reader now

I use CCleaner, Javacool's Spywareblaster and usually do ...Firefox's tools start private browsing before browsing so ccleaner has less cleaning to do.

I second (or third?) the motion to Disable any add-on/plugins you don't use
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I primarily use FireFox, too, and haven't been having issues I can attribute to the browser (10.0.2). If I'm working on a Website, I'll often have multiple windows of both IE and FF open at the same time...and I can attest that Windows' system resources ain't particularly happy about that, 'specially if you have other resource hogs like Photoshop open at the same time.

I'm particularly fond of the FireBug add-on, so I'll keep FireFox. I have noted that version 10x seems to be just a bit slower rendering complex sites than later versions of 9 seemed, and there's got to be reason v11 is in beta after only two minor production releases of v10. I admit that the guts of the browser development isn't something I read about, so I guess I'll just hope that v11 gets the nod soon as ready-for-production.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Thanks folks. I'll try disabling any add-on I'm not using and see if it gets better. If not, I'll turn everything off and start adding them back in.

Chas.

koolaid

Post by koolaid »

Skiprr wrote: I'm particularly fond of the FireBug add-on, so I'll keep FireFox. I have noted that version 10x seems to be just a bit slower rendering complex sites than later versions of 9 seemed, and there's got to be reason v11 is in beta after only two minor production releases of v10. I admit that the guts of the browser development isn't something I read about, so I guess I'll just hope that v11 gets the nod soon as ready-for-production.
The reason v11 is in beta so soon is because they moved to a six week release cycle, ostensibly to improve bug quashing and feature development. In reality it was mostly because that's what Chrome does and higher version numbers sound better.

The downside is that Firefox's main superiority over Chrome is the massive plugin repository, and the rapid versioning has caused some problems with compatibility.

Stay tuned for the next episode of "boring things that don't really matter."
01/02/2010 - Plastic

sugar land dave

Any luck on this Charles?
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I've been sick for a few days and haven't spent much time on the computer. However, it does seem a bit better.

Chas.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”