Joining the "Pink Ribbon" Coalition...

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Joining the "Pink Ribbon" Coalition...

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You and your wife remain in our prayers.

Chas.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

Lifting Elaine and you up in prayer.

Per my signature, Psalm 91 is perhaps my favorite. We know that God is our refuge and our fortress. God bless you.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Pug
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Pug »

We're sitting in the chemo room finishing up the next round. The oncologist added an experimental (trial) protocol to Elaine's treatment today. It is a drug called Denosumab, used for the prevention of skeletal-related events in patients with bone metastases from solid tumors (she has no indication of metastasis of the cancer to the bone – this protocol is considered precautionary). This treatment will take place every 3 weeks for 7 rounds (21 weeks) and then every 30 days for up to 5 years.

Elaine did very well during the first three weeks of chemo. There were really only a couple of days that she was completely wiped out. And being only five minutes from Baylor is wonderfully convenient. Last week (Friday) was hair day. She wanted to have some control over hair-loss, and the beautician that she and our daughter use offered to take care of this for her. A scarf or doo-rag is the order of the day for the foreseeable future (reminds me of Persis Khambatta as Lieutenant Ilia in Star Trek the Motion Picture). Our daughter went with her a couple of weeks ago to choose the hairpiece that she will use for the next year, and they were excited to discover that the lady who runs the store (where they found the wig that she liked) is a cancer survivor and has been through all this herself. Unfortunately, the wig that I liked the most was ruled out as too risqué. Oh well…

She is learning to like food with a little more spice (yeah!) due to the constant metallic taste that chemo leaves in her mouth. In fact, this evening some friends are bringing dinner – some wonderful, authentic, spicy Indonesian food. She is sleeping well (including almost daily naps – and Booker & Brent often keep the nightly vigil just to make sure). Other than a change to taste buds and the fact that she tires a little more easily, the side-effects of the chemo have been managed by other medications. For that we are most grateful.

Grateful for the continued prayers.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I just saw this. You are definitely in my family's thoughts and prayers.

A family friend of ours was celebrating her 5 year anniversary of being breast cancer free when she found out it had come back. She has gone through extensive treatment (Chemo, double mastectomy, etc). She is doing great now!

Just know that there is hope out there and that positive thinking and prayers are more powerful than anything else. Especially in the numbers that you will get from here.

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 1

Post by i8godzilla »

We will keep her in our prayers.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Hoi Polloi »

So glad to hear that the effects of the chemo have been minimal on her. Hopefully it's been devastating to the cancer!

Still praying.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic author
Pug

Post by Pug »

Last Monday Dr. Gupta added Elaine to a new clinical trial for another med. It is a drug to address the cancer cells that are "wandering" -- particularly those that have entered the bone marrow. This new drug seeks out and destroys those cells -- with the side effect that her bones hurt. But as part of the trial aspect, the medication, bone scans, dental appointments, and lab work are all paid by the drug company rahter than our insurance (or us).

So far so good. We are sneaking out for a few days in Eureka Springs, before going back next week for the next MRI and Pet Scan (when we will find out whether or not the chemo is working).

Thanks again for your prayers.

Brent
AKA Pug

http://www.CaringBridge.com/visit/elaineray" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Pug on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Pug

Post by Pug »

Well, chemo is done. We're moving on to the next phase...

Surgery is scheduled for this Thursday (9/29) -- a modified bilateral radical mastectomy. Elaine will be in the hospital here in Plano for 3-4 days and then return home for recovery (6-8 weeks). Then she will begin 12 weeks of radiation, with a two month interim before reconstructive surgery. We should wrap up the invasive elements of her treatment with the last surgical procedure in May 2012, and the oral chemo sometime in 2016 (yes, five years of oral chemo to, hopefully, prevent reoccurrence).

Prayer for a successful surgery on Thursday and the beginning of a strong recovery process would be greatly appreciated!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

We will continue to pray. We will pray for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

You and Elaine will be in the Cottons' prayers also. Thanks for the update.

Chas.

stash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stash »

Pug - I will pray for you and your wife.

Stan
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Topic author
Pug

Post by Pug »

After an 8 hour surgery, Elaine is in recovery. She should be in a room by 4:00-4:30 this afternoon. Everything went well, with no major complications. So we're on the road to recovery . . . and I'm going home shortly to burn that ugly pink bag!
:woohoo

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Pug wrote:After an 8 hour surgery, Elaine is in recovery. She should be in a room by 4:00-4:30 this afternoon. Everything went well, with no major complications. So we're on the road to recovery . . . and I'm going home shortly to burn that ugly pink bag!
:woohoo
Thanks for the update. It's great to hear surgery went well albeit long!

Chas.

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Divided Attention »

Prayers for you all! Glad to hear progress, hope the positive continues. Remember to take care of yourself too.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
Pug

Post by Pug »

Elaine's recovery has begun well. Both the surgeon and the oncologist felt that she was ready to come home, so today (Saturday - my 53rd birthday no less) at noon we packed up and left Baylor. Her first words were, "It's good to be home!" I could not agree more...

Thanks for the prayers and words of encouragement. Though the battle is far from finished, coming home from the hospital today was a celebrated victory.

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”