The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Beatnik
Posts in topic: 2

Frustrated with my Texas CHL

Post by Beatnik »

Frustrated with my Texas CHL

First let me say I use my Harley-Davidson motorcycle for basic transportation every day, 24/7.

I recently got my CHL, have had it for about a month, and I'm constantly frustrated with places that are off limits to concealed carry. Not only the places specificly listed in the law as prohibited but also with the 51% rule and the many commercial locations displaying the Section 30.06 sign.

I'm semi-retired, 66 yo, and I drive a public schoolbus. The schoolbus is a prohibited place so I can't drive the bus while carrying. That means I've got to disarm in the parking lot before reporting for work. There's no place on the bike where I can secure my weapon. I do have a day bag that I could "lock up" but it would be real simple for somebody to cut the locking straps. Another thing is that I can't hide from the public while disarming and stashing the gun; it would be for anybody else in the parking lot to see me doing such a thing.

Last Saturday, I was carrying and on the bike and I was attending an American Legion Riders meeting in a neutral place. After the meeting broke up, we were supposed to ride to a nearby AL post hall for some more discussion. The AL post is a 51% location. I'm thinking, as I'm riding with the group, where am I going to disarm and where am I going to secure the handgun. I rode to the post with the group and then told the others to go on inside and I'd join them soon as I had some things to attend to on the bike. After the parking lot later seemed to be only myself, I pulled the holster out and placed it in the day bag on the bike and "locked" it and then worried about it for the entire time I was there.

I'm thinking this lifestyle is far too complicated to try to carry concealed and I'm close to the point where I may not carry concealed anywhere. I don't understand why the law was written to limit carry in so many locations. It's only hurting the law-abiding who have passed the extensive background checks. This law won't stop the criminals from being armed in those prohibited places. To me, I just don't think CCW is worth the trouble.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Frustrated with my Texas CHL

Post by RPBrown »

FWIW, I also ride a Harley. I and a few of my friends carry. I do have the luxury of owning an Ultra Classic in which those that dont have hard bags may lock up in mine.

I understand your problem and can only recommend either getting a pair of hard bags, ride with someone that has hard bags or don't carry when you know you will be going to places off limits. I know you don't always know when you will be going to them.

At least Texas is not as restrictive as some other states.
Last edited by RPBrown on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Nothing inconvenient is worthwhile...right up until it is. It's like protective gear on the motorcycle man. If you ride your whole life in leather and never go for a slide, you might think, while on your deathbed, "I could have been cooler." But slide down the highway at 70 JUST ONCE.... or need that gun JUST ONCE.....

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

Morgan wrote:or need that gun JUST ONCE.....
Kind of a moot point since he'd need it JUST ONCE and it'd be at home or locked up somewhere because he can't carry at work or at many of the places he goes.

I am in the same boat. My office is posted 30.06. I ride a bicycle to work. So I don't carry at work, or on my 45+ minute each way bicycle commute. My non-day-job is playing the guitar and I can't carry doing that when I really need to, since many of the venues where I would be playing are 51%. I could go on and on.

I share your frustration.
non-conformist CHL holder

CHLSteve

Post by CHLSteve »

Morgan wrote:Nothing inconvenient is worthwhile...right up until it is. It's like protective gear on the motorcycle man. If you ride your whole life in leather and never go for a slide, you might think, while on your deathbed, "I could have been cooler." But slide down the highway at 70 JUST ONCE.... or need that gun JUST ONCE.....
Heh, as someone who has slid down the highway at 70, I can attest to that! I am luck to be alive, and I have the scars to remind me. All I had that night was a white T-shirt and blue jeans. I was a mess after that.

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

Frustrated with your Texas CHL? It sounds like you should be frustrated with your ride for not having any way to secure your gun.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

Topic author
Beatnik

Post by Beatnik »

aardwolf wrote:Frustrated with your Texas CHL? It sounds like you should be frustrated with your ride for not having any way to secure your gun.
I disagree with your statement. My frustration lies with the Texas CHL law. Fifty percent of my time I can't legally carry. So, I have a 50/50 chance I would have my weapon if I needed it. That being said, I'll probably just forget about carrying on a regular basis. I will though have it in a gun safe inside my automobile and just leave it there.

...and the other thing I talked about, how doe's one disarm while on a bike without being seen by the public? :banghead:

Appreciate the comments all.

barres

Post by barres »

Unless someone is rather close to you, handkerchiefs (or small towels or your do-rag) are your friend. "Wipe off a little sweat" and use a little slight of hand to cover your CCW with it, and then the whole shebang gets stored in your {whatever}. You'll want to practice this a home for a while before using it "in real life."
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

wild child

Post by wild child »

there is a person at the shows that sell a real good fanny pack.
i ride a goldwing and most folk dont give me a second look while i have mine on.
and to disarm, just unsnap it and stow it.
alot more discrete than my holster under a flappy shirt.
give it a try, and no, you will not look queer.
i have a card from the place that sells those packs if you need the #

joe

ProudNativeTexican

Post by ProudNativeTexican »

Maybe you can get a smaller/pocket gun and then find a place to install a CoM box on you ride. I have not been around bikes in years. But on my dad's old FLH he had a leather bag on the sissy bar that had a small lock box inside that was bolted thru the bag to the sissy bar. That is where he would lock small items.

I am not sure but I am sure with so many people with motorcycles theses days there might even me a seat maker with a hidden lockable storage built in.

I am not sure what bike you have but Corbin have a smuggler seat for the V-rod might work. Corbin might have one similar for your bike.

http://www.corbin.com/harley/vrsca/streetrod_smug.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ML
"Act your wage" (Dave Ramsey)

CHL Class-2/16-17/08
Paperwork submitted-2/22/08
Application received by DPS-2/25/08
PIN received - 4/17/08
Processing application - 4/18/08
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - 5/7/8
Received Plastic - 5/10/08

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

I have seen many time where people with bikes just pulled out their weapon and nobody noticed! My brother met me at the gun show and they do have a 30.06 on the door, we bought a couple of thousand rounds in our favorite flavor and walked it back outside. He had hard bags on his bike and he took out his carry gun, put it in his belt and stuffed 2000 rounds of ammo back into the bags.
If you look guilty doing something, someone will think you are. Do so and act like it's nothing, then it's nothing.
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

....or you can get one of these........
http://www.sandssalesco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and if you search you find one that is concealed too
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

ProudNativeTexican

Post by ProudNativeTexican »

That road warrior doesn't seem very concealed.
ML
"Act your wage" (Dave Ramsey)

CHL Class-2/16-17/08
Paperwork submitted-2/22/08
Application received by DPS-2/25/08
PIN received - 4/17/08
Processing application - 4/18/08
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - 5/7/8
Received Plastic - 5/10/08

jack010203

Post by jack010203 »

I feel your frustration with the current CHL laws particularly the 51%ers. The law needs some adjustment, because I will gladly not drink if it means I can carry, and just being at a bar seems like a pretty bad excuse to deny my right to carry.

The 30.06 is not a big issue, mainly because if I see one, I find a different place to go.

Return to “New to CHL?”