What NOT to wear to the range

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
thatTexasLady
Posts in topic: 7

What NOT to wear to the range

Post by thatTexasLady »

I am getting ready for a "what not to wear" post on my blog, and would love to share ideas and pictures if you have any!! Thanks!
~Lady
NRA Member

App Online: 5/31/11
CHL Class: 6/4/11
L-1 Fingerprints: 6/7/11
Package Mailed: 6/9/11
Package rec'd by DPS: 6/11/11
Background Under Review: 6/16/11
Manufacturing: 7/16/11
Mailed: 7/18/11
Plastic in hand: 7/21/11

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What NOT to wear to the range

Post by gigag04 »

My fiancé tried to wear open toed shoes (sandals) once. Makes for fun gun handling when hot brass hits your toes.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

jmra

Post by jmra »

gigag04 wrote:My fiancé tried to wear open toed shoes (sandals) once. Makes for fun gun handling when hot brass hits your toes.
Bet the same could be said for a low cut blouse.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bulldog1911 »

This...
entertaining_homeless_people_signs_640_21.jpg
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Any ladies' top that does not have a high, fairly closed neck like a T-shirt will, sooner or later, allow a hot shell to get down between top and skin.

This results in a most entertaining dance aptly dubbed the "hot shell hop".

Even folks who say they can't dance are so inspired by the experience that they execute the steps spontaneously and with great enthusiasm.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

jmra

Post by jmra »

thatTexasLady wrote:I am getting ready for a "what not to wear" post on my blog, and would love to share ideas and pictures if you have any!! Thanks!
I would say your avatar would be a great example of what not to wear at the range. I could see a "range" of responses if your avatar showed up on the firing line;
:shock: :hurry: :patriot: :thumbs2: :evil2: :drool: :woohoo :anamatedbanana :eek6 :thewave

Of course the wives who happen to be at the range would have a very different set of emotions;
:nono: :totap: :mad5 :fire
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
thatTexasLady

Post by thatTexasLady »

gigag04 wrote:My fiancé tried to wear open toed shoes (sandals) once. Makes for fun gun handling when hot brass hits your toes.
Yes, shoes will definitely be addressed. Thanks for saying sandals, we were going to discuss flip flops but all sandals should be addressed.
Bulldog1911 wrote:This...
Yeah, might get a little hot.
Excaliber wrote:Any ladies' top that does not have a high, fairly closed neck like a T-shirt will, sooner or later, allow a hot shell to get down between top and skin.
Yes, actually in my CHL class, the instructor referred to my "brass catchers" and asked if I had a shirt to wear to the range. As I was obviously holding my range shirt in my hand, it didn't impress my hubby very much. (Yet another argument for a female CHL instructor in my area.)
jmra wrote:I would say your avatar would be a great example of what not to wear at the range. I could see a "range" of responses if your avatar showed up on the firing line;
Yeah, I don't think my avatar's attire would be range recommended. ESPECIALLY by the wives. Love your use of the smilies btw!!
~Lady
NRA Member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

At dept sponsored range days we usually mandate wearing a hat with a brim. Keeps brass out of face (mostly) and will also keep hair out of the action - my local indoor range has lots of fans helping the lead scrubbers. These could blow long hair into the action. Also a combat reload should bring the gun up in front of your face - another place for hair to blow
in the action.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A-R

Post by A-R »

The big no-nos have been covered (open-toed shoes, low cut blouses, lack of a hat) but I'd also remark about excessive jewelry on the fingers and wrists. Excessive number and/or size of rings and bracelets can all interfere with proper grip and gun handling function.

Topic author
thatTexasLady

Post by thatTexasLady »

A-R wrote:The big no-nos have been covered (open-toed shoes, low cut blouses, lack of a hat) but I'd also remark about excessive jewelry on the fingers and wrists. Excessive number and/or size of rings and bracelets can all interfere with proper grip and gun handling function.
Thanks AR, hadn't thought of that.
~Lady
NRA Member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

jmra wrote: Bet the same could be said for a low cut blouse.

My wife did, only once! had brass hit her square in the middle, left a burn that took about a month to go away
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

seeker_two
Banned

Post by seeker_two »

Anything involving Spandex......there just isn't any eye protection strong enough for that...... :coolgleamA:

:mrgreen:
Howdy y'all. Glad to be here.....

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TLynnHughes »

Agree with all the no sandals and no low cut shirt posts.

If you're going to be drawing from a holster, long or full shirts can get in the way or are hard to tuck in. Much easier to wear a shirt that can easily be tucked in, with a sturdy belt (think function not beauty :lol: )

Don't forget to wear sunscreen (not clothing but...but still should be "worn").

Hair... ;-) shouldn't interfere with field of vision or hearing protection.

Just my .02 worth. :thumbs2:

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Topic author
thatTexasLady

Post by thatTexasLady »

Thanks T. Have a photo session set up with a hairstylist to takes some pictures and give ideas of different ways to fix your hair with a hat to prevent accidents and still look nice.

Thanks for the sunscreen idea. Also got some makeup hints from an instructor. Just a hint, for those ladies reading, mineral makeup (foundation) is safe but experts recommend no liquid foundations, as residue and chemicals can build up on your face in liquid foundation. They also recommend some type of portable facial wipe to clean the chemicals and residue off of your face and neck after shooting practice as well as a nail brush in your range bag so that you can scrub under your nails after practice as well.
~Lady
NRA Member

fickman

Post by fickman »

gigag04 wrote:At dept sponsored range days we usually mandate wearing a hat with a brim. Keeps brass out of face (mostly) and will also keep hair out of the action - my local indoor range has lots of fans helping the lead scrubbers. These could blow long hair into the action. Also a combat reload should bring the gun up in front of your face - another place for hair to blow
in the action.
I normally wear my regular eyeglasses for protection. My first time at Winchester Gallery in Fort Worth, I didn't realize that their stalls were narrower than the ones at Bass Pro, where I was used to shooting. Anyway, I wasn't wearing a hat and my ejected brass ricocheted off the wall at a different trajectory - one lodging right between my eyelids and my glasses.

Thankfully my immediate reaction closed my eye in time. I was able to safely lay my firearm down on the table facing downrange, but in the same motion mindlessly threw my glasses down range as I flicked them off in a huge, swooping motion.

Needless to say, a hat has been part of my range attire ever since.
Native Texian

Return to “Ladies”