Wife just qualified today

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Laneman
Posts in topic: 3

Wife just qualified today

Post by Laneman »

I had the privilege of watching my wife qualify today. She shot a 238 out of 250, then scored a 94 on the written test. She used my 9mm Glock 19. I'm so proud of her.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife just qualified today

Post by C-dub »

Very nice. :clapping:

Now, she's gonna want her own. You know that, don't you?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

Laneman wrote:I had the privilege of watching my wife qualify today. She shot a 238 out of 250, then scored a 94 on the written test. She used my 9mm Glock 19. I'm so proud of her.
Don't know if it is becoming a trend or not but I've heard some instructors are no longer giving written tests. Instead they give a group oral test requiring everyone to participate. They claim that although test administration is required, the guidelines do not spell out how it must be administered.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Laneman

Post by Laneman »

We just bought her a Khar CW9 as an early graduation present, only thing left is to add some pink to it :lol: . She just used the Glock to qualify cause that's what she's used to. The CW9 is very accurate though, I'm sure she'll make the transition quickly.

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

Congratulations to you both!
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Laneman wrote:We just bought her a Khar CW9 as an early graduation present, only thing left is to add some pink to it :lol: . She just used the Glock to qualify cause that's what she's used to. The CW9 is very accurate though, I'm sure she'll make the transition quickly.
Yay! Pink!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

MamaK

Post by MamaK »

jmra wrote:
Laneman wrote:I had the privilege of watching my wife qualify today. She shot a 238 out of 250, then scored a 94 on the written test. She used my 9mm Glock 19. I'm so proud of her.
Don't know if it is becoming a trend or not but I've heard some instructors are no longer giving written tests. Instead they give a group oral test requiring everyone to participate. They claim that although test administration is required, the guidelines do not spell out how it must be administered.
What instructors?

Grantz Lanemans wife :)
:thewave

jmra

Post by jmra »

MamaK wrote:
jmra wrote:
What instructors?

Grantz Lanemans wife :)
:thewave
The instructor who did my renewal for one.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Laneman wrote:We just bought her a Khar CW9 as an early graduation present, only thing left is to add some pink to it :lol: . She just used the Glock to qualify cause that's what she's used to. The CW9 is very accurate though, I'm sure she'll make the transition quickly.
Interesting.....When my wife qualified the first time, she did so with a G19 because that's what she had shot before in a Basic Handgun class and thought she liked it. She bought one the day after she qualified, but her EDC became a 642 S&W I gave her some time ago, because she couldn't get the Glock deployed out of her concealed carry purse fast enough. However, we eventually got her a CW9 because she had a real hard time shooting the 642 well because of the trigger pull weight. That CW9 has been her EDC for I guess a couple of years now. Great little pistols. I also have a CW45 and a PM9, although I don't carry either of them as often as I do an XDm.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CraigM
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CraigM »

jmra wrote:
My wife and I took our CHL class in early Feb and the instructor administered the test, but we wrote our answers on our own notebook paper and "self graded". We also did not "turn it in". The instructor was a recently retired US Marshal, fwiw. His explanation was basically the same (guidelines do not spell out how it must be administered).

BTW, I wish he would have mentioned the fact that military veterans did not need to qualify. I didn't learn that until after the class. Would have saved me the $20 range fee and box of ammo. :o Then again, I enjoy shooting. So if not then and there, I would have fired the rounds off regardless. Just cost me a few extra bucks over some other ranges I guess.

MamaK

Post by MamaK »

CraigM wrote:
jmra wrote:
My wife and I took our CHL class in early Feb and the instructor administered the test, but we wrote our answers on our own notebook paper and "self graded". We also did not "turn it in". The instructor was a recently retired US Marshal, fwiw. His explanation was basically the same (guidelines do not spell out how it must be administered).

BTW, I wish he would have mentioned the fact that military veterans did not need to qualify. I didn't learn that until after the class. Would have saved me the $20 range fee and box of ammo. :o Then again, I enjoy shooting. So if not then and there, I would have fired the rounds off regardless. Just cost me a few extra bucks over some other ranges I guess.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that only active duty members who have a recent pistol qualification, since they all initially qualify on a rifle not a pistol?
jmra wrote:The instructor who did my renewal for one.
My telepathy switch is borked, so I have no idea who your instructor is :biggrinjester: I guess I'll nod my head and go grab a cookie ;)

jmra

Post by jmra »

MamaK wrote:
CraigM wrote:
jmra wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that only active duty members who have a recent pistol qualification, since they all initially qualify on a rifle not a pistol?
My telepathy switch is borked, so I have no idea who your instructor is :biggrinjester: I guess I'll nod my head and go grab a cookie ;)
I didn't name him because his name is not important to the discussion. I believe that the OP has basically confirmed my point thru his experience with his instructor.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

CraigM
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CraigM »

MamaK wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that only active duty members who have a recent pistol qualification, since they all initially qualify on a rifle not a pistol?
Hmm.. Looking again, it does count for veterans, but they must have qualified in the last 5 years.. So I don't feel bad about it now. :p
GC §411.1881. EXEMPTION FROM INSTRUCTION FOR CERTAIN PERSONS. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, a person may not be required to complete the range instruction portion of a handgun proficiency course to obtain or renew a concealed handgun license issued under this subchapter if the person:
(1) is currently serving in or is honorably discharged from:
(A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States or an auxiliary service or reserve unit of one of those branches of the armed forces; or
(B) the state military forces, as defined by Section 431.001; and
(2) has, within the five years preceding the date of the person's application for an original or renewed license, as applicable, completed a course of training in handgun proficiency or familiarization as part of the person's service with the armed forces or state military forces.
(b) The director by rule shall adopt a procedure by which a license holder who is exempt under Subsection (a) from the range instruction portion of the handgun proficiency requirement may submit a form demonstrating the license holder's qualification for an exemption under that subsection. The form must provide sufficient information to allow the department to verify whether the license holder qualifies for the exemption.
As to initially qualifying with a rifle, and not a pistol: Depends on branch and your job.. My cousin had his initial qualification in the Navy with Pistol. My initial qualification in the Army was with a rifle but I also qualified with a pistol later on in my enlistment. Oh, and of course we qualified with grenades too. haha.

MamaK

Post by MamaK »

jmra wrote:
MamaK wrote:
CraigM wrote:
jmra wrote:

I didn't name him because his name is not important to the discussion. I believe that the OP has basically confirmed my point thru his experience with his instructor.
You know that begs to ask why you don't mention your instructors name - are they really good as in you'd send your mother to them, or are they a sleazy kind of good where you have secret meetings in back alleys? (It is kind of silly that you are avoiding mentioning their name. Also, it perks the curiosity.) :mrgreen:

@CraigM " My cousin had his initial qualification in the Navy with Pistol."
And in 'great mistakes', it probably worked better as a hammer. brrrrrrrrrr

jmra

Post by jmra »

MamaK wrote:
jmra wrote:
MamaK wrote:
CraigM wrote:
jmra wrote:

You know that begs to ask why you don't mention your instructors name - are they really good as in you'd send your mother to them, or are they a sleazy kind of good where you have secret meetings in back alleys? (It is kind of silly that you are avoiding mentioning their name. Also, it perks the curiosity.) :mrgreen:

@CraigM " My cousin had his initial qualification in the Navy with Pistol."
And in 'great mistakes', it probably worked better as a hammer. brrrrrrrrrr
Begs to ask why do you care so much? :mrgreen: I used this instructor because of convenience. If by some atrocity we still have to attend renewal classes in 5 years I would probably use him again. I would not hesitate to give someone his name for a class if they lived within 5 miles of him. If they lived further I'd tell them it's not worth the drive. If you really want his name I'll have to dig it up.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Ladies”