Road trip to Florida... Flying back on return trip.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Reysc
Posts in topic: 6

Road trip to Florida... Flying back on return trip.

Post by Reysc »

It's been 5 years since I have posted and sure nice to be back.. I really missed this site. Anyway, I will be driving a moving van to help my daughter move to Florida and flying back to DFW. Going thru Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia. From what I know these are all reciprocal states, meaning my TX CHL is honored.... anything else I need to know?? Also, for my flight back, no changes issues that I should be aware of ?? Thanks for reading and for your comments!
ReySC
ReySC

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Road trip to Florida... Flying back on return trip.

Post by i8godzilla »

Just flew from GRK to PBI and back. In TX was told to wait about 20 minutes before going the security to see if TSA needed me to open my bag. In FL was asked to wait around for a short time until my checked bag was 'cleared' by TSA. The ticket agent--American--actually made a call and verify that there were no problems with the bag and personally notified me that I could go ahead and go through security. My weapon, with the ammo in an original container, was in a nano-vault with the security cable looped through the frame of my roll-about bag.

My only problem was having to pay $25 each way to check my bag. But that is a rant for another thread.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Make absolutely certain that no gun or gun paraphernalia is in anything you are carrying on board. Check, recheck, etc.

Get on the airline website and read the policies. Print it out and carry it with you for reference. Comply exactly.

I've flown dozens of times with pistols and only one problem, the time I didn't take a pistol but left 3 loaded magazines in my carry on. That was costly. You can find the account in the archives of past months.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

Where have you been hiding?
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You cannot carry a gun into any restaurant that serves alcohol in LA.
I think it was Alabama where you cannot have a loaded gun in the car unless you have a carry permit. Don't leave your daughter in the car with your gun unless she has a permit. You're not in Alabama for very long, unless you get lost, so, not a big problem.
Do you have a Texas permit to match your Texas DL? If not, Florida does not honor it. Florida requires you to have a "home state" permit for reciprocity, or, a FL non-resident license.

I made that drive over Thanksgiving. These are the only things I remember that were "potential trouble".
Check with the link above and read the details for yourself in case I missed something.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Reysc wrote:It's been 5 years since I have posted and sure nice to be back.. I really missed this site. Anyway, I will be driving a moving van to help my daughter move to Florida and flying back to DFW. Going thru Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia. From what I know these are all reciprocal states, meaning my TX CHL is honored.... anything else I need to know?? Also, for my flight back, no changes issues that I should be aware of ?? Thanks for reading and for your comments!
ReySC
You should be OK as long as you don't take a flight that makes stops in NY and Chicago. :smilelol5:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

JALLEN wrote:Make absolutely certain that no gun or gun paraphernalia is in anything you are carrying on board. Check, recheck, etc.

Get on the airline website and read the policies. Print it out and carry it with you for reference. Comply exactly.

I've flown dozens of times with pistols and only one problem, the time I didn't take a pistol but left 3 loaded magazines in my carry on. That was costly. You can find the account in the archives of past months.
JALLEN brings up an important point on magazines and 'gun parts'. However, on this trip, my holster was in my carry-on and I had no issue.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Topic author
Reysc

Post by Reysc »

RPBrown wrote:Where have you been hiding?
Just taking care of business after being laid off 5 yrs ago. Recovered now ;-) You will see me here on a regular basis..
ReySC

Topic author
Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Thanks for all the reply and info.

Rey
ReySC

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Rey!!

Good to see you post again!

~Bill

Topic author
Reysc

Post by Reysc »

The Marshal wrote:Rey!!

Good to see you post again!

~Bill
Nice to be here... It's here that we met, remember? :clapping:
ReySC

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

JALLEN wrote:Make absolutely certain that no gun or gun paraphernalia is in anything you are carrying on board. Check, recheck, etc.
I have flown with 500 bullets in my carry on. I also had a powder measure for my reloading press and a couple of reloading die sets. :mrgreen: :biggrinjester: :mrgreen:

Needless to say, it raised a few eyebrows at the TSA checkpoint. A supervisor was called over, and then I was sent on my way.

I don't think they had ever seen bullets in a carryon before. "rlol" They had no idea what the powder measure or die sets were anyway.

Of course, I am using the term "bullets" in the correct technical sense, as they were not loaded cartridges. Just some 230 gr .45 FMJ bullets.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Jumping Frog wrote:

Of course, I am using the term "bullets" in the correct technical sense, as they were not loaded cartridges. Just some 230 gr .45 FMJ bullets.
I recounted the story [urlhttp://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58916[/url].

That was about the best it will get. The gatekeepers at San Antonio Airport seemed almost like it was a routine occurrence. I was sure glad it didn't happen in San Diego!! Those idiots, who missed it outbound, would have hit the panic button for sure! I didn't miss my flight, partly because we were there plenty early, but the FAA did demand $200 to forget about it. I'm sure I am on a list somewhere now.

I know of several who have left pistols in bags, etc., inadvertence, but very costly. It is not something you want to be casual about.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jrandyw

Post by jrandyw »

I did the same thing in July of last year. No problems with the drive. On my flight back they told me I couldn't have ammo even though it was in the original packaging (Hornady critical defense ammo box) because I had opened the box. The airline's policy didn't say anything about the box having to be unopened, but I didn't want to argue over a $25 box of ammo since I needed to be back to work the next day. It was otherwise uneventful.
6/16/12 CHL
NRA Member

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Hey Rey, good to hear from you again. Air travel with a firearm is simple from/to friendly states. The drive would be nicer in March or April. Have a safe trip.

:cheers2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”