DL Address Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
flytoride
Posts in topic: 3

DL Address Question

Post by flytoride »

I've been having a question that's been eating at me ever since I submitted my application.

I'm currently a college student and have been since 2011. When I moved to my Longview for school, I kept my DL address as my parent's address. Well about a year and a half after that, they moved to a new location, and I never thought to update my address to their new location. About 7 months after they moved, I realized that I could put the address I considered home on my DL, so I updated it to where I live while I'm in school. Also, this past summer I interned in the DFW area for 3 months and lived in DFW. I still maintained my Longview address while I was interning, so I never reported the temporary address.

When I submitted my CHL app, I made sure my residential addresses lined up with what I had put on my DL. I listed all my employers, including the internship company. I'm just worried that not changing my address and not putting the temporary DFW address on my application will come back to haunt me. Am I just being paranoid?

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DL Address Question

Post by Teamless »

You do not have to list a "temporary" address.
As long as you still "live" at the Longview address and are able to still get your mail there, you are fine.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
flytoride

Post by flytoride »

Teamless wrote:You do not have to list a "temporary" address.
As long as you still "live" at the Longview address and are able to still get your mail there, you are fine.
Thanks!

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gringo pistolero »

flytoride wrote:I'm currently a college student and have been since 2011. When I moved to my Longview for school, I kept my DL address as my parent's address. Well about a year and a half after that, they moved to a new location, and I never thought to update my address to their new location. About 7 months after they moved, I realized that I could put the address I considered home on my DL, so I updated it to where I live while I'm in school.
It's acceptable but not mandatory to have your parents' address on your DL while you're a full-time student. If you do, then you are subject to the same 30 day requirement as if you physically lived with your parents. Seven months is too long to wait. However, you can't change the past and either DPS will gig you for failing to update your address within 30 days or they won't. Worrying won't help.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Topic author
flytoride

Post by flytoride »

The more I look into it, the more I think it won't be an issue. It's not like I was ever cited/fined for failing to update my address. I just ignored the address issue, and then once I realized that I was actually legally required to report the change of address, I did so. It looks like DPS just looks at the county level for arrests/crimes/convictions, and I reported on my application all the counties I've lived/worked in. So I think I'll be okay in that regard.

I've learned that the temporary address won't be any issue. My fiancé did the same thing with reporting her internship but not where she lived during the internship on her application, and her CHL just got the status change/approval on Friday. Thanks for all of your replies.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”