Pocket Carry Redux

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
atxgun
Posts in topic: 2

Pocket Carry Redux

Post by atxgun »

A while back I posted a topic about the pros/cons of pocket carry. Since then it's actually come to be my preferred method. After you can find the right clothing with a pocket that won't snag up for a clean draw you're golden. The thing I really like about it is being able to walk down the street with my hand on my weapon, one step closer to being ready if it came time to draw.

The biggest problem I can see is if the "moment" came when I was sitting down, but still not impossible.

Fangs
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Pocket Carry Redux

Post by Fangs »

I've been thinking about carrying a second, smaller gun. Not all the time, but for instance when I'm wearing a t-shirt that's a bit to short or too tight to comfortably conceal my Beretta PX4 and I just want to make a quick run to the corner store. I've found myself hesitating once or twice recently, but ended up changing into better carrying clothes (longer shirt, putting on a belt, etc).

So what and how do you carry? I ended up at Cabela's the other day but all the revolvers I looked at still seemed pretty big for pocket carry.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jbirds1210 »

I pocket carry a Glock 26 at times when I am wearing cargo shorts. The biggest disadvantage in my opinion is that it is VERY difficult to get to the gun with your weak hand.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

pt145ss
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pt145ss »

i pocket carry a Kahr pm 40 everyday. I understand the issue with snaging the pocket during a draw. I have adapted my draw method so that during the initial part of the draw, my fingers are around the grip but my thumb is on the back sight. my thumb remains there until the butt part of the pistol has cleared the top of my pocket. Once the butt has cleared, my thumb transitions to it's normal shooting position. After some practice, it has become second nature and snag free.

Edit: BTW...with this method...while sitting...if i can get my hand in my pocket...i can draw from the position.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "I ended up at Cabela's the other day but all the revolvers I looked at still seemed pretty big for pocket carry."

Speaking of Cabella's, I was in the FW store last week and they had a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster for $20. That's what I paid - plus shipping - for mine not too long ago thru an internet vendor for the LCP. It works fine for me and I suspect would work well too with j-frames (although I spent $50+ years ago for a leather j-frame pocket holster by Hedley out of Florida).

Pocket carry highly dependent upon the size of the gun - and size of the pocket!

Numerous reasons not to carry a pistol in a pocket without some kind of holster that covers the trigger guard. I knew better, but did it briefly a couple of months ago and when getting the gun ready to go in holster again, found a dime wedged between bottom of trigger and trigger guard.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
atxgun

Post by atxgun »

Fangs wrote: So what and how do you carry?
Right now a Tarus PT140

stroo

Post by stroo »

I really like pocket carry for a second gun. My favorite is a J-frame revolver but I have carried a Glock 26, a Kel tec p 11, and a Seacamp 32. They all work.

GlockFan

Post by GlockFan »

I pocket carry a s+w 642 in a Unkle Mikes pocket holster.I have a Bersa .380 that I pocket carry in the same holster.
Jak Se Mas?

barres

Post by barres »

My pocket carry is a Kel-Tec P3AT. I have carried a Kel-Tec P11 in my pocket before, but that required some pretty big pockets, and I no longer own the P11.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Kel-tec P3AT almost daily as BUG. Carry in back pocket and if robbed guess which wallet is reached
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

P3At in the pocket, always. Mike's #2 (?) pocket holster
Nothing else in that pocket
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

somedudefromhouston

Post by somedudefromhouston »

I have a question for those that are adept at pocket carry. What kind of clothing do you pocket carry in? Which pocket?
I have been trying out a Kahr Pm9 at home, while I wait for the plastic. I have a Galco pocket holster and an HBE leatherworks. IWB. I dont wear a suit or dress pants at all. ever. So does anyone pocket carry in jeans? Jacket pocket works well but it will past jacket weather before my plastic arrives I bet.
somedude
houston
NRA Life Member!

GlockFan

Post by GlockFan »

I've pocket carried in jeans(don't wear them that tight anymore...to old for that) even with dockers.You will be suprised how it doesn't print. At least no one has ever ran away from me screaming "OMG hes got a gun" :lol:
Jak Se Mas?

CHLSteve

Post by CHLSteve »

I've been pocket carrying an LCP for the last few months, mostly in dress slacks. I love it. I keep it in my right hand pocket, because I noticed if I bend over it really "looks like a gun" in my rear pocket. It truly has become a "forget it's even there" gun for me.

The built-in change pocket inside my dress slacks actually holds the LCP in great position, and keeps it from moving around too much. Everything else has to go in my other pockets--cell, keys, change, etc... Nothing goes into the pocket with the gun. I agree with the other poster on how you can have your hand on your gun, ready to go, without drawing any attention. Sometimes if I'm walking out to a parking lot, I'll just walk with my hand and gun ready to go. Very easy.

With blue jeans, I do not like pocket carry. They don't hold the gun right, and the pockets aren't as big and easy to draw from. I suppose this could be remedied by using a pocket holster, so I'll probably pick one up for that. In the meantime, I've been using a size#0 Uncle Mikes and just carrying IWB when I've got jeans or shorts on.

buffalo_speedway_tx

Post by buffalo_speedway_tx »

I bought a Kahr PM9 a couple of weeks ago at the Pasadena Gun Show. I have been carrying it in my front right jean pocket in a holster. It looks like I have a wallet in the front. My wife says that it does not print and no one would know it is a gun. It is not that bad to draw it out when needed.

On another note, I really appreciate and enjoy this forum. I got my CHL on 2/4/09. The information shared here is really good.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”