Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 3

WWYD???

Post by papajohn1964 »

A couple of scenarios:
Number I
You’re walking out of Walmart and hear a woman screaming. You look over and see a man hitting and trying to get a woman in the car. Obvious first step is to call 911 but do you intervene? Do you yell at the attacker? If he persists do you draw your weapon? What would you do?

Number II
You are at home in your front yard when you hear a woman screaming. You look and see a man hitting her. Obvious first step is to call 911 but do you intervene? Do you yell at the attacker? If he persists do you draw your weapon? What would you do?

Number IIA
What if you had had a few drinks before witnessing Number II?
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: WWYD???

Post by Oldgringo »

1. :fire first and ask questions later?
2. Have another drink?

Are these trick questions?

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I hate these what would you do questions. There's so many variables in each situation, I think I'll just say I'll call 911 and be a good witness.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by papajohn1964 »

No not trick questions at all. The wife is out of town so today I went to Walmart before going to the range and as I was walking out I thought...what if.
Bracken Range was closed today so I stopped and bought a 6 pack and as I was sitting in the garage having a smoke and a cold one I thought ...what if
And I decided this was the best place to ask. So WWYD?
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

papajohn1964 wrote:A couple of scenarios:
Number I
You’re walking out of Walmart and hear a woman screaming. You look over and see a man hitting and trying to get a woman in the car. Obvious first step is to call 911 but do you intervene? Do you yell at the attacker? If he persists do you draw your weapon? What would you do?

Number II
You are at home in your front yard when you hear a woman screaming. You look and see a man hitting her. Obvious first step is to call 911 but do you intervene? Do you yell at the attacker? If he persists do you draw your weapon? What would you do?

Number IIA
#1 - Depends on the reaction of both of them after I yell "Hey, what's going on!"

#2 - If it's my FIL hitting my MIL, he's got a real problem on his hands. I'll just pull up a chair and watch unless he needs my help, 'cause she's gonna hurt him.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jocat54
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jocat54 »

Number I

Number II

Number IIA

See signature line.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

texanron

Post by texanron »

MoJo wrote:I hate these what would you do questions. There's so many variables in each situation, I think I'll just say I'll call 911 and be a good witness.
:iagree:
C-dub wrote:#2 - If it's my FIL hitting my MIL, he's got a real problem on his hands. I'll just pull up a chair and watch unless he needs my help, 'cause she's gonna hurt him.
"rlol"
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

You will find a million (well, maybe less) variations on this exact "What if" scenario on various posts throughout this forum.

The general concensus is that you almost always don't get the real-picture of what is going on when you witness incidents like you have described. I would recommend looking through a few of the threads for further insight.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

fishman

Post by fishman »

Call 911, be a good witness and leave your weapon concealed. ( That is unless you fear for someones life.)
IANAL

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Depends on whether Robin was at the cave with me or not.

Kidding aside, unless someones death was eminent, I would not interfere and would be a good witness. If I felt someones death WAS eminent I would use any tool I had at my disposal to help out, drinking or not.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Wisewr

Post by Wisewr »

Like Purplehood said, there are all kinds of variations of this and you never know both sides of the story, so it's probably in your BEST intrest to stay removed from the situation and be a witness only. Things that would be running through my mind is if I do get involved and end up shooting someone, who will pay the legal bills, if any, that I'll be facing?

Having said that, it's a hard thing to think about your wife/daughter/mother being in that situation and no one doing anything to help her out.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

My thoughts on this:

Husband-wife, father-daughter,carjacker-victim, victim-carjacker, victim-robber, shoplifter-store clerk, brother-sister. There are too many possibilities to do anything but to dial 911 and from a distance inquire what's going on. Related people should regain some semblance of composure. Bad guys will know the clock is ticking. If you do this be prepared to maintain distance and cover until police arrive.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Number I
<SNIP>
Are we in Topeka? :leaving
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

I have to question a few replies here, for me to stand and do nothing while another human being is being forced against their will into a car or being beaten is plain out wrong, if you are able to help you should. Yes you can be a good witness but when he drives away with her in the car and puts a bullet in her head a few blocks away and you did nothing to stop it how are you going to reconcile that ?

As for what I would do, I don't know I have never been in that situation. I would not stand by and do nothing. I would do what I could to prevent further damage.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

I would approach to reasonable distance and then loudly ask what was going on. Respond accordingly from there. Likely response might include calling 911, probably would not include any use of a weapon.

I visited my brother last Thanksgiving. One morning, he took me to play golf with my wife and his teenage daughter who has always been the most well behaved child I've ever known. We took separate vehicles, and when we both got there, it was clear that he had been in a disagreement with his daughter during the drive. He got out and told me that he needed to deal with her, and wouldn't be joining my wife and I for our round. About then, his daughter got out and started screaming at the top of her lungs that she hated him and that she wasn't getting back in the car, and she was calling her Mom to get her (along with calling her dad several words that are not allowed on this forum). He physically picked her up and put her back in the car while she was kicking and screaming. Turns out that her response was due to him telling her she couldn't see her older (by 2 years) boyfriend and the facat that he took away her cell phone. I should also say that I have never witnessed my brother commit any type of violence against anyone, even when we were kids. He is one of the most non-violent people I know.

That scene got a bit ugly, and to a third party it may well have looked like some type of an assault.

They were able to resolve their disagreement somehow, because they ended up joining us on the 9th hole and finishing the round with us.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”