Another casualty of Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Post by cbunt1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: It's not that open-carry should not have been passed. It's that it should have been done without interference from people who only want their names in the news. If OCT has stayed out, or at least withdrawn, from public view when the NRA/TSRA got involved, then the number of people who would no longer be able to carry at work would be far fewer in number.

Chas.
So true, Charles. I really believe that without the theatrics of openly carried long guns, technicalities of the "black powder workaround" and scorched earth tactics we've seen historically from ALL the "Open carry or die" groups, we could have simply removed the "duty to conceal" from the then-current legislation, come up with a workaround to protect 30.06 and criminal trespass, and quietly moved forward.

The truly sad thing is that the biggest catalyst for the debate is OCT and MDA continuing to take each others bait,hook line, and sinker.

Oh wait, I'm back to exactly what you said...folks that just want their names in the news. :banghead:
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

stingeragent
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by stingeragent »

Ok so I have a hypothetical question to anyone who thinks OCT is the cause for all the anti-gun sentiment. Lets say you go to starbucks and lets say open carry of handguns and long rifles is legal. There was never an OCT group, or any other pro gun group running around with AR's. You go into the store with your holstered pistol and inside is a mom that despises guns and their owners, and refers to them as ammo sexuals. Do you think that mom's response to you is going to be different if your inside with a pistol versus if you went in with an AR on your back?

Continuing on from there, if there was no OCT, and no one carried around rifles. Jan 1st came and you and six of your buddies decided to hit the range on saturday, and then go get lunch at chipotle. Those same anti-gun mom's and whoever else would still be there to complain, call the police, etc, because you have a gun.
Last edited by stingeragent on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 14

Post by The Annoyed Man »

stingeragent wrote:Ok so I have a hypothetical question to anyone who thinks OCT is the cause for all the anti-gun sentiment. Lets say you go to starbucks and lets say open carry of handguns and long rifles is legal. There was never an OCT group, or any other pro gun group running around with AR's. You go into the store with your holstered pistol and inside is a mom that despises guns and their owners, and refers to them as ammo sexuals. Do you think that mom's response to you is going to be different if your inside with a pistol versus if you went in with an AR on your back?
Probably not, but a pretty good response is "Why is always about sex with you people? Can't you think of anything else?"
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

stingeragent
Banned

Post by stingeragent »

Who is "you people"? I am not a member of OCT, I just try to keep an open mind. In these scenario's, I typically say a mom because MDA is one of the biggest anti-gun groups out there. I am not a sexist if that's what you are implying. I have a wife and daughter and they both shoot so thanks.

The Annoyed Man

stingeragent wrote:Who is "you people"? I am not a member of OCT, I just try to keep an open mind. In these scenario's, I typically say a mom because MDA is one of the biggest anti-gun groups out there. I am not a sexist if that's what you are implying. I have a wife and daughter and they both shoot so thanks.
stingeragent, that wasn't directed at you. "You people" refers to someone whose reaction to seeing someone carrying a gun is to respond with an implied sexual insult - "ammosexual".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

stingeragent
Banned

Post by stingeragent »

OOOH. My apologies. Read your post wrong. Sorry.I now agree with you.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

I was watching YouTube and saw a view videos of OCT Grishim stating before Smith County Commissioners Court that his group was responsible for OC passing this season, LOL! They failed the last two sessions and their two OC bills this session were DOA.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Richbirdhunter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'm betting the new signs haven't come in yet....
That would be my bet too.
I'll bet you lunch that no 06 or 07 signs go up TAM
I'll take the bet. Even if I lose, I win. We get to meet and have lunch. :mrgreen:

BTW, I hope you're right and I lose. Unless you've got some insider information though, I'm just skeptical is all. GVM has been no friend to gun owners, and I've been doing what little mall-shopping I do at the Northeast Mall in Hurst instead. Hopefully, you're right.
Per https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasCHLBoycott/, new 30.06 signs at Grapevine Mills Mall today...
I get a free lun-unch. I get a free lu-unch. :lol: Dang it! :waiting:
I just left the GVM office and asked them about about the 06 signs coming down and he said it was true. If you OC the individual will be given verbal notice and a 07 card and asked to leave. He also stated that if we can't see it we are fine with CC.

I thanked him for the change in policy and shook his hand.

TAM, are you hungry? I could eat. :thumbs2:
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 11

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
stingeragent wrote:Ok so I have a hypothetical question to anyone who thinks OCT is the cause for all the anti-gun sentiment. Lets say you go to starbucks and lets say open carry of handguns and long rifles is legal. There was never an OCT group, or any other pro gun group running around with AR's. You go into the store with your holstered pistol and inside is a mom that despises guns and their owners, and refers to them as ammo sexuals. Do you think that mom's response to you is going to be different if your inside with a pistol versus if you went in with an AR on your back?
Probably not, but a pretty good response is "Why is always about sex with you people? Can't you think of anything else?"
Funny too how liberals find terms like that "offensive" and call people homophobes, sexists, racists, and all kinds of other "ists" but love slinging offensive and insulting terms at people they don't like. The other day I saw a photo of an old guy with a gun the libs were ridiculing for being "fat." They had reduced everything about the man to the size of his stomach....yet we're barraged nearly every day by liberals with calls for "fat acceptance."
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

No, the response from Mommies Demand Attention would have been the same for a .22 derringer as it would have been for an RPG. But, when these mommies complain about those evil people carrying dangerous weapons around "the children", the general public will roll their collective eyes when all MDA can show is a well dressed person with a handgun in a holster. When MDA started screaming about fatman and showboots in Chipolte with AR's at low ready, the public was able to agree with these loonies that potentially dangerous people are carrying dangerous weapons.

The problem wasn't the fact that MDA stomped their feet and held their breath, the problem was that their complaints seemed credible against the backdrop of scary looking people carrying scary looking weapons.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

The Annoyed Man

Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'll take the bet. Even if I lose, I win. We get to meet and have lunch. :mrgreen:

BTW, I hope you're right and I lose. Unless you've got some insider information though, I'm just skeptical is all. GVM has been no friend to gun owners, and I've been doing what little mall-shopping I do at the Northeast Mall in Hurst instead. Hopefully, you're right.
Per https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasCHLBoycott/, new 30.06 signs at Grapevine Mills Mall today...
I just left the GVM office and asked them about about the 06 signs coming down and he said it was true. If you OC the individual will be given verbal notice and a 07 card and asked to leave. He also stated that if we can't see it we are fine with CC.

Awesome news! So, when and where do you want to eat? (Please don't say GVM.....I hate that place anyway, like I hate all malls. :mrgreen: )

#TINVOWOOT

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Richbirdhunter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.

Awesome news! So, when and where do you want to eat? (Please don't say GVM.....I hate that place anyway, like I hate all malls. :mrgreen: )
PM sent
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Richbirdhunter, I hate to keep being the Doubting Thomas on this, but I just called the mall office and the lady that I spoke to stated that the mall is private property and they have the right to refuse to let anyone carry a firearm. I told her that I understand that, but I asked if they were going to post and she told me "Yes. We are currently working on that." So I'm not sure that this issue is put to rest yet. :confused5

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

LTUME1978 wrote:Richbirdhunter,

You must live in a very isolated part of the state. Here in Houston, once the signs are up, they are not ever going to come down. All open carry did was wake the liberals up in Houston to the fact that they could be putting up signs. I see more signs going up in the tunnels in downtown Houston every day. With every new sign, someone else asks what that is all about and gets the idea that they should post as well.

The lid is off this can of worms and it will never go back. I hope the right to walk around looking like Wyatt Earp is worth it to the open carry folks because a lot of us are loosing our right to concealed carry and it may cost some of us our lives for your privilege to play cowboy.
I know some will disagree, but IMHO, (and yes, I now understand the OCT back story and why OC was pushed), the lid was slowly come off this can of worms anyway. I think it was inevitable (how much longer???), but I'll concede that OCT hurried the process.

But I can count on many occasions where I have worked /done business personally and professionally over the past several years that one day they were not posted and the next they were posted 30.06, all long before the passage of OC. In my view, I support OC and would rather have OC/Posting of more signs vs. Not having OC/Posting of more signs. That said, I supported all the good gun bills.

So right or wrong, good or bad, OC or no OC, sooner or later the other side becomes aware. Relying on others continued ignorance is not a good strategy. Yes, the proverbial cat is out of the bag. How long do you really expect we could have kept it in there? Surely not forever.

Anytime Pro 2A legislation comes up for discussion or passes we can expect pushback, does that mean we should stop fighting to have our rights restored?
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Holy Guacamole! That is awesome! :thewave
Now, let's be mature adults about it so we don't get it taken away. My wife likes some of the stores there, so it's fantastic news that we will be able to defend ourselves if something horrible were to happen.

Depending on when/where yall do lunch I may be interested to come by. PM me if you'd like another person at the table.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”