Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
locke_n_load
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#1

Post by locke_n_load » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:41 pm

https://pridehouston.org/pride-news/no- ... ign=buffer

Going to have metal detectors apparently according to another link on that page.

Anyone going to be near the parade tomorrow that can take pictures to report the city? City of Houston should know better.
"They that would give up Essential Liberty, for a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

EDC - Glock 26 Gen IV
CHL Holder since 10/08

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: SW Fort Worth

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#2

Post by AJSully421 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:30 am

What are these "Pride Events"?

If they are in private venues, then whatever. If it is a parade down a public street, or something at a public park... then I would certainly go down and get info and turn it in to the OAG so that they know that they can't do that again. I don't lose rights because there was an islamic terrorist attack in Orlando.

Also, the "sign" on the website refers to "Chapter 441" of the government code. LTC is Chapter 411, and the 30.06 language must be letter for letter exact. So, that web post is not legal notice. Go get better "notice" and turn them in.

Isn't it amazing how anti-gun liberals can't get anything right?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

User avatar

RJGold
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: La Grange

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#3

Post by RJGold » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:20 am

"Pride Events" are various events to celebrate gay pride week. I know one is a parade downtown. Some probably include private venues too...

Sorry but I wouldn't go near any of these events...

Pretty silly that the city thinks by posting this they've made their event safe. Of course those terrorists will read the website and realize that they can't carry their weapons there so they won't come attack the event...

Whatever...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

User avatar

LTCTLB
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 4:22 pm
Location: Tomball, TX

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#4

Post by LTCTLB » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:27 am

You'd have to be very brave - or stupid - to go to an event with large crowds these days without protection. I personally try to avoid anywhere I cannot carry. However, posting these notices on a website does not meet the intentions of the law thus are not legal notice.
LTC training: 1/30/16; Application (online): 5/10; Fingerprints: 5/11; CHL100 submitted (online): 5/11; All docs received email from RSD: 5/12; Status change: 6/11; Plastic in hand: 6/13/16

User avatar

Excaliber
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5877
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: DFW Metro

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#5

Post by Excaliber » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 am

In view of the fact that active shooters typically select venues with prohibitions on lawful carry, these fools have just succeeded in making their event much more dangerous than it otherwise would have been.

On the other hand, I can't help suspecting that may be the actual intent - to invite an incident which could be used to try to drum up support for the democrats' latest run at liberty, which so far is producing nothing but embarrassment. The sight of congresscritters acting like spoiled Mizzou activists in the Capitol is an image that is hard not to chuckle - or weep - at.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#6

Post by rotor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:08 am

Be interesting to see if their security tries to disarm a LTC holder on a public street.


mayor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:47 pm
Location: Wise county - N. of Fort Worth

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#7

Post by mayor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:29 am

that web link is meaningless.

let me post one just as meaningful: http://www.lmsvehiclesolutions.co.uk/wp ... 03/huh.jpg

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 9432
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#8

Post by Beiruty » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:41 am

rotor wrote:Be interesting to see if their security tries to disarm a LTC holder on a public street.
A police officer can still disarm a LTC person after a lawful stop
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6633
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#9

Post by Pawpaw » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:47 am

mayor wrote:that web link is meaningless.

let me post one just as meaningful: http://www.lmsvehiclesolutions.co.uk/wp ... 03/huh.jpg
:iagree:

It appears it is the event organizer trying to bar carry, not the city:
Pride Houston is a registered 501(c)3 organization incorporated in the state of Texas, and is 100 percent volunteer-run. Its annual June Celebration takes more than 10,000 volunteer hours to produce, along side its other initiatives, which require more volunteers than ever.
These cities need to start giving organizers a list of what is not allowed on public property. Of course, they won't unless the Legislature passes a law that will hold the city's feet to the fire whenever one of these organizations tries to inflict their views on property we all own.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#10

Post by rotor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:08 am

Beiruty wrote:
rotor wrote:Be interesting to see if their security tries to disarm a LTC holder on a public street.
A police officer can still disarm a LTC person after a lawful stop
What would be the lawful stop for carrying on a public street (especially concealed) which could not legally be posted with 30.06 or 30.07?

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4771
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#11

Post by ScottDLS » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:10 am

rotor wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
rotor wrote:Be interesting to see if their security tries to disarm a LTC holder on a public street.
A police officer can still disarm a LTC person after a lawful stop
What would be the lawful stop for carrying on a public street (especially concealed) which could not legally be posted with 30.06 or 30.07?
Just make sure you don't have an outstanding traffic warrant... "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 9432
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#12

Post by Beiruty » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:26 am

I meant I hope the LEO does not abuse their powers. Stay calm and cool and do not submit to search if you are asked to and for no valid reason
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: SW Fort Worth

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#13

Post by AJSully421 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:27 am

I am sure that if someone turned this in to the OAG, Houston would respond that it was a private event and that THEY did not give notice, so they cannot be held liable. But I really hope that any Houston Police Officer will be smart enough to know that they cannot prevent someone from carrying at a parade on a public street.

This highlights another issue. The current law about how a license holder can deal with this is completely ineffective. So, you show up to the pride parade here on Saturday June 25th, you are told by a security guard or maybe a police officer that you cannot carry on a public street. You take note of the time and date and the person's name who gave you notice, maybe take a picture of a sign, you go home and type out a notice to the city and put it in the mail, certified, on the same day.

Now, you have to give them three full business days to respond from the date that you show they got the certified letter before you file with the OAG. So, you have zero recourse, even though you are 100% sure that they are wrong and that your rights have been violated. In the mean time, by the time any of this happens, the event is over and your rights are still violated. Then, and only then, do you file with the OAG, and they take 90 days to tell the city of Houston to take down the sign or stop giving notice, and the City of Houston comes back and says "The event has been over for 90 days, and we have no idea what you are talking about, The City did not give notice, a private event promoter did." and our rights remain in peril next year, and the year after that.

Undoubtedly, these folks will learn that the law is meaningless, and that they can infringe on the rights of LTCers without any sort of penalty, so they keep it up year after year. Next year, it will be the Houston Marathon, then it will be the 4th of July parade and fireworks, then it will be Christmas Tree Lighting ceremonies, then... pretty much anything that is a 1-5 day event, because they know that nothing can be done to stop them.

Here is my solution. First, none of this "citizen gives notice and waits three days" nonsense, we should only have to see a sign, and then instantly either fill out a web form, or call the 1800 number and report the entity and where the sign is to the 30.06 team at the AG's Office. The person at the OAG taking the call then immediately turns around and calls whoever at that entity, or calls the local police and orders them to take down the sign or cover it, or stop giving verbal notice within only a few hours and provide proof that they have stopped. The default setting should be to take down the sign or stop giving verbal notice, until the OAG determines that the sign is compliant, then they can put it back up, not the other way around.

I'm writing my reps about this, I am tired of this junk.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#14

Post by rotor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:46 am

AJSully421 wrote:I am sure that if someone turned this in to the OAG, Houston would respond that it was a private event and that THEY did not give notice, so they cannot be held liable. But I really hope that any Houston Police Officer will be smart enough to know that they cannot prevent someone from carrying at a parade on a public street.

This highlights another issue. The current law about how a license holder can deal with this is completely ineffective. So, you show up to the pride parade here on Saturday June 25th, you are told by a security guard or maybe a police officer that you cannot carry on a public street. You take note of the time and date and the person's name who gave you notice, maybe take a picture of a sign, you go home and type out a notice to the city and put it in the mail, certified, on the same day.

Now, you have to give them three full business days to respond from the date that you show they got the certified letter before you file with the OAG. So, you have zero recourse, even though you are 100% sure that they are wrong and that your rights have been violated. In the mean time, by the time any of this happens, the event is over and your rights are still violated. Then, and only then, do you file with the OAG, and they take 90 days to tell the city of Houston to take down the sign or stop giving notice, and the City of Houston comes back and says "The event has been over for 90 days, and we have no idea what you are talking about, The City did not give notice, a private event promoter did." and our rights remain in peril next year, and the year after that.

Undoubtedly, these folks will learn that the law is meaningless, and that they can infringe on the rights of LTCers without any sort of penalty, so they keep it up year after year. Next year, it will be the Houston Marathon, then it will be the 4th of July parade and fireworks, then it will be Christmas Tree Lighting ceremonies, then... pretty much anything that is a 1-5 day event, because they know that nothing can be done to stop them.

Here is my solution. First, none of this "citizen gives notice and waits three days" nonsense, we should only have to see a sign, and then instantly either fill out a web form, or call the 1800 number and report the entity and where the sign is to the 30.06 team at the AG's Office. The person at the OAG taking the call then immediately turns around and calls whoever at that entity, or calls the local police and orders them to take down the sign or cover it, or stop giving verbal notice within only a few hours and provide proof that they have stopped. The default setting should be to take down the sign or stop giving verbal notice, until the OAG determines that the sign is compliant, then they can put it back up, not the other way around.

I'm writing my reps about this, I am tired of this junk.
Or, you could use the tactics of some of the nut jobs out there, come with an accomplice with a video camera, record the whole incident and if you end up getting arrested or illegally stopped filing a lawsuit against whoever is doing the stop. Attorney general fines go into state pockets. Private lawsuit money goes into your pocket. I am not suggesting this be done but as a hypothetical issue it is an interesting scenario. I agree that the AG method is cumbersome. In my city the next gun show ( held on city owned property) is in August. The last one was 30.06 and 30.07 signed with sheriff people working the doors (off duty I assume) and not knowledgeable about signage. A complaint to the city manager and he advised the gun show organizer that it could not be posted. I will remind the city manager in August before the next gun show that he needed to make sure it wasn't posted. We will see how that turns out. Interesting though that the gay rights people are really pushing for 2nd amendment rights with the Pink Pistols lawsuit. We need all the help we can get as long as the majority of people in this country are democrats.

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: SW Fort Worth

Re: Houston Banning Carry at Pride Events

#15

Post by AJSully421 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:50 am

By the way, it looks like this whole thing is taking place on the grounds of the Houston City Hall, Hermann Square, The City Library, and Tranquility Park... all thoroughly public places that cannot, by Texas law, be posted.

Tired, tired, tired of this crap.

By the way, this has nothing to do with "Pride". They have every right to have a celebration on public property. I would be equally angry (honestly, I would be MORE angry) if this was a NRA or TSRA celebration on public property and someone thought they could ban licensed carry.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Locked

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”