Z-Lib

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AndyC
Posts in topic: 3

Z-Lib

Post by AndyC » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am

https://z-lib.org

My dad put me onto this yesterday - no fees, a free account can download 10 books per day (clock seems to reset around 5 pm).

They have every novel I could think of plus many, many gun/prepper/survivalist books. Most of them have multiple formats available (PDFs, mobi (Kindle), etc) and there are free online tools to convert to your favorite format).

I think I'll need to buy an extra Kindle to store all this stuff.

Edit: Sent them a $10 Amazon gift-card via their fund-raising link and they upgraded me to 999 books/day - yikes!
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

stever1950
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Z-Lib

Post by stever1950 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:35 am

Looks very interesting. I signed up for the free part for now. There is a lot to explore.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:43 pm

AndyC wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am

Edit: Sent them a $10 Amazon gift-card via their fund-raising link and they upgraded me to 999 books/day - yikes!
Ah hah! Thanks...especially for that last bit. I looked around and decided I'd want the ebook conversion and kindle options, but wasn't eager to give out my cc number. If I can do it via an Amazon gift card, that'll work. Since we're "social distancing" now may be a good time for me to catch up on some reading. ;-)

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:10 pm

I'm glad others can benefit :)

Sometimes Z-lib has a built-in converter available for the file-type you want, sometimes not.

If not, I just upload the file at https://www.epubconverter.com and convert it there - takes a few seconds. I download the converted files from there and transfer them manually to my Kindle by plugging it into my laptop and boom.
Remember Kitty Genovese

There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:05 am

AndyC wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am

My dad put me onto this yesterday - no fees, a free account can download 10 books per day (clock seems to reset around 5 pm).

They have every novel I could think of plus many, many gun/prepper/survivalist books. Most of them have multiple formats available (PDFs, mobi (Kindle), etc) and there are free online tools to convert to your favorite format).

I think I'll need to buy an extra Kindle to store all this stuff.

FYI from the website...
Also UNLIMITED downloads (for 31 days after the day of making donation) are available for ALL contributors who will donate during the fundraising period.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:37 am

It doesn't make sense to me that this service can exist for free (or nominal cost) without violating copyrights....

I'd recommend staying away. Seems unfair (not to mention illegal) to the copyright holder and those who spent time and money to publish original works. YMMV.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-to-do ... -Z-Library
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm

That's an excellent point.

However, they do have this on their site:
Removing Content From Book4You / DMCA Policy

Book4You respects the intellectual property of others.

If you believe that your copyrighted work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement and is accessible on this site, you may notify our copyright agent, as set forth in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA). For your complaint to be valid under the DMCA, you must provide the following information when providing notice of the claimed copyright infringement:

* A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed
* Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of the infringing activity and that is to be removed
* Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address
* A statement that the complaining party "in good faith believes that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or law"
* A statement that the "information in the notification is accurate", and "under penalty of perjury, the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed"

The above information must be submitted as a written, faxed or emailed notification to the following Designated Agent: support@bookmail.org
Remember Kitty Genovese

Return to “Books & Videos”