Exec Protection book recommendations

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Skydivesnake
Posts in topic: 2

Exec Protection book recommendations

Post by Skydivesnake »

Hi folks,

Anyone have any good recommendations for books/DVDs covering the basics of Executive Protection ?

The 'Exec' in my case is the family.

I appreciate a book is no alternative to proper and thorough training - but I don't have time for that as we are in Mexico for a week at the end of March and I'm thinking that at least reading through the basics, and mentally running through certain scenarios is going to be better than nothing at all. To be honest, most of my scenario planning has involved defense of the family with the use of a handgun for myself and wife, and a rifle - which obviously won't be available to us in Mx.

Thanks - SDS

rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Exec Protection book recommendations

Post by rtschl »

I took a level 4 security class a couple of months ago (level 4 being a PPO - Personal Protection Officer). The instructor of the class strongly recommended that we read The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. He said it should be read by everyone, but especially anyone in the business of protecting themselves or others. I picked it up at half priced books a few weeks ago. I have not finished it yet, but he writes about the need to follow your instincts and be aware of your surroundings and watch for various warning signs or precursors to danger. You can go to his website at https://www.gavindebecker.com/index.php ... t_of_fear/

Many of the incidents that I have read so far, clearly show that the victim did not trust their initial instincts, so he is trying to get people to listen to themselves and not try to reason away our instincts. So far I really like it, but have not had time to touch it lately.

Ron
Ron
NRA Member

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

"Just 2 Second" by Gavin de Becker should be read as well. It is aimed more towards what you are looking for.

My suggestion is you read both. Gift first and them=n 2 Seconds.

Another one is "Be Alert, Be Aware, Have A Plan" by Neal Rawls
Also, "Streets Smarts, Firearms, Personal Security" by Jim Grover
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Skydivesnake wrote:Hi folks,

Anyone have any good recommendations for books/DVDs covering the basics of Executive Protection ?

The 'Exec' in my case is the family.

I appreciate a book is no alternative to proper and thorough training - but I don't have time for that as we are in Mexico for a week at the end of March and I'm thinking that at least reading through the basics, and mentally running through certain scenarios is going to be better than nothing at all. To be honest, most of my scenario planning has involved defense of the family with the use of a handgun for myself and wife, and a rifle - which obviously won't be available to us in Mx.

Thanks - SDS
Executive protection is a far different animal than personal protection, which sounds like it is your true interest. Unless you are preparing to use advance teams, international sitrep update firms, and protective details of trained bodyguards to protect your family from the risk of assassination or kidnapping, executive protection is not the topic you want to look under.

Gavin deBecker's The Gift of Fear is an excellent personal protection resource and I second CompVest's suggestion there. Mr. DeBecker's Just 2 Seconds focuses on the executive protection implications of high risk target (national leader and senior corporate executive) assassination and kidnapping data. If you're not in those categories, it makes a very interesting read, but may not have a lot of direct application to your situation. It looks at how protective details can train and configure themselves to take effective action in the 2 - 5 second window it takes for an assassin to strike. The kidnap information also is directed toward protective details, although if you spend a lot of time in vulnerable situations it pays to know that the most common locations for targeted (as opposed to random) kidnap attempts are at home and work while approaching or exiting a vehicle.

Personal protection, home security, and travel security are probably the 3 topics under which you'll find most of what you're looking for.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

I unfortunately recognized I needed this sort of information when my daughter was in kindergarten - a 5-year-old predator escalating his intentions toward her. Fortunately I love to read and was able to utilize this information. de Becker's Protecting The Gift is for families and should be read by everyone with kids, especially daughers. The Gift of Fear is more for adults and I got a lot out of Just 2 Seconds for family concerns. de Becker is basically a non gun guy and states it at the end of The Gift books but he obviously believes they're necessary for self-defense with proper knowledge. You'll be much more confident assessing human nature after reading these books.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

How about this tip for protecting your family:
Don't go to Mexico.

Have you seen the news from there lately?

Cancun is a popular destination for gringos and they
had a shootout there not far from the beach.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
Skydivesnake
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skydivesnake »

Thanks guys ! Will be taking a look at those recommendations - much appreciated.

silverbear

Post by silverbear »

Gift of Fear is available through the Harris County Public Library system - hcpl.net.
I support the right to arm bears.

Return to “Books & Videos”