I had an uncomfortable situation last Saturday

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 20

I had an uncomfortable situation last Saturday

Post by Richbirdhunter »

We went to a soccer tournament last weekend and Saturday night we all went to dinner as a team, my family and I (including my 84 year old mother in law) went a couple of hours early and went to go see the Alamo and some other sight seeing. Once the team regrouped and went to dinner I dropped off the family near the restaurant and went by myself to go find parking. I used my mother in laws handicapped parking placard and got a nice spot in a pay to park lot under a bridge.

I got the 1st spot by the street, there was a fence and gate on the street side and a large concrete pillar on the passenger side of the truck.

What I didn't notice was the 2 homeless guys behind the pillar. I scanned the area as I walked over to pay for the space and there was no one around. I needed the space number to enter into the parking meter, so as I went back to the truck the 1st guy came out from behind the pillar asking for change and kept getting closer. I told him that I didn't have any extra change and was having a hard time coming up with what I needed for the space. I never let him get closer then 10 feet from me. If he took a step towards me I took a step towards the gate. At this time the second guy came out from behind the same pillar and started to walk towards me. At this point I was not a happy camper, I pulled my shirt up and put my hand on my gun ( I didn't pull it) and I put my left hand up to the second guy and said STOP! The first guy took off though the gate and the second guy took off down the parking lot. I was grateful that it ended peacefully.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 5

Re: I had an uncomfortable situation last Saturday

Post by imkopaka »

Wow. Glad it turned out all right. Glad your family was already inside, too - they shouldn't have to deal with that fear. Well done!
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

Richbirdhunter wrote:We went to a soccer tournament last weekend and Saturday night we all went to dinner as a team, my family and I (including my 84 year old mother in law) went a couple of hours early and went to go see the Alamo and some other sight seeing. Once the team regrouped and went to dinner I dropped off the family near the restaurant and went by myself to go find parking. I used my mother in laws handicapped parking placard and got a nice spot in a pay to park lot under a bridge.

I got the 1st spot by the street, there was a fence and gate on the street side and a large concrete pillar on the passenger side of the truck.

What I didn't notice was the 2 homeless guys behind the pillar. I scanned the area as I walked over to pay for the space and there was no one around. I needed the space number to enter into the parking meter, so as I went back to the truck the 1st guy came out from behind the pillar asking for change and kept getting closer. I told him that I didn't have any extra change and was having a hard time coming up with what I needed for the space. I never let him get closer then 10 feet from me. If he took a step towards me I took a step towards the gate. At this time the second guy came out from behind the same pillar and started to walk towards me. At this point I was not a happy camper, I pulled my shirt up and put my hand on my gun ( I didn't pull it) and I put my left hand up to the second guy and said STOP! The first guy took off though the gate and the second guy took off down the parking lot. I was grateful that it ended peacefully.
What you did with the parking spot is illegal. If you had already dropped off your MIL you should have used a noraml spot and saved the HC spot for someone who needs it. Speaking as one who use to be parallelized, I know those spots sure saved me a lot of hassle. Heck, I don't even utilize the HCspots, although I could. Much less a lazy able body man.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Wall »

How was the return trip? Did you report it to the police? Maybe the next guy parking there won't have to deal with the same two guys that way.

casp625
Posts in topic: 3

Post by casp625 »

WTR wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:We went to a soccer tournament last weekend and Saturday night we all went to dinner as a team, my family and I (including my 84 year old mother in law) went a couple of hours early and went to go see the Alamo and some other sight seeing. Once the team regrouped and went to dinner I dropped off the family near the restaurant and went by myself to go find parking. I used my mother in laws handicapped parking placard and got a nice spot in a pay to park lot under a bridge.

What you did with the parking spot is illegal. If you had already dropped off your MIL you should have used a noraml spot and saved the HC spot for someone who needs it. Speaking as one who use to be parallelized, I know those spots sure saved me a lot of hassle. Heck, I don't even utilize the HCspots, although I could. Much less a lazy able body man.
Is it illegal? Once they left the restaurant, the MIL would have been returning to the vehicle.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

WTR wrote:

I parked less then a block from the restaurant my Mil can walk that far with the use of her cane and holding on to my arm.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

casp625 wrote:
WTR wrote:

Is it illegal? Once they left the restaurant, the MIL would have been returning to the vehicle.
That's exactly what happened

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

no.....
I get tired of able body folks parking grandma at the first HC spot and then running in themselves..
If she had to walk out to the car.....then I apologize.
Last edited by WTR on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

The Wall wrote:How was the return trip? Did you report it to the police? Maybe the next guy parking there won't have to deal with the same two guys that way.
I told a couple of the dads what happened and they walked back to the truck with us. No sign of the guys.

I didn't call the police, I probably should have but what would have said? Two homeless guys scared me?

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

WTR wrote:no.....
I get tired of able body folks parking grandma at the first HC spot and then running in themselves..
No problem, I want to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

WTR wrote:no.....
Please share with us how you can tell, at a glance, that a person is able-bodied? That is a skill that would make you unique, even among those in the medical profession..

Over the last 20 years, I've been helping various family members that have health issues. Some of them are obvious at a glance, others not so much.

You can't see when someone has a heart condition. While they may look fine walking 20 yards into a store, if you saw them after 200 yards, you might see someone who is struggling to breathe, much less stand or walk. You may not be able to see the pain someone is feeling in their back or joints. Not everyone is trying to get your sympathy.

I know handicapped parking gets abused a lot and that ticks me off too. I've just dealt with enough to know you can't judge a book by it's cover.

That reminds me of a young friend of mine when we were looking for a parking spot. He saw this 4x4 F250 quad cab pickup parked in a handicapped spot, with a placard on the mirror. He says, "I don't think anyone who drives something like that should be allowed to have a handicapped placard."

This young man was very familiar with my parents, their farm with cattle, and their health issues. I looked at him and said, "Then you think my parents should have to sell their cattle and farm, then move somewhere else so they can sell the truck and only drive their car?" His only reply was, "No. I see your point."
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScooterSissy »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Wall wrote:How was the return trip? Did you report it to the police? Maybe the next guy parking there won't have to deal with the same two guys that way.
I told a couple of the dads what happened and they walked back to the truck with us. No sign of the guys.

I didn't call the police, I probably should have but what would have said? Two homeless guys scared me?
I believe I would have. I'm glad it didn't happen, but let's pretend events eventually unfolded another way.

You scared them off and went on to the restaurant. Then, 20 minutes later two policemen showed up asking to talk to you outside, as two men reported someone matching your description brandishing a firearm at them.

I'm a big believer that the first person to the police are have the most believed story, at least initially.

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 5

Post by imkopaka »

I pulled my shirt up and put my hand on my gun ( I didn't pull it)
Didn't leave the holster, not brandishing.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

ScooterSissy wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:

I believe I would have. I'm glad it didn't happen, but let's pretend events eventually unfolded another way.

You scared them off and went on to the restaurant. Then, 20 minutes later two policemen showed up asking to talk to you outside, as two men reported someone matching your description brandishing a firearm at them.

I'm a big believer that the first person to the police are have the most believed story, at least initially.
That's great advice, thank you

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LSUTiger »

ScooterSissy wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:

:iagree: The police believe the first person to call in.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “Off-Topic”