WHAT IS FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: WHAT IS FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER

Post by RPBrown »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:05 pm
RPBrown wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:52 pm We are having tamales Sunday night and I will put a ham on to smoke Sunday night. Son in law wants some lessons on his new smoker. I had him season it last weekend
That sounds really good. We have always done tamales. This year I thought about something different. I didn’t know how many people had the same prime rib ideal. I like El Finex’s pork tamales. Where do you buy yours or do make them?
We buy from a young lady in our church. When I get back home tomorrow I will send you her contact information
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr surveyor »

Shrimp/Chicken/Fish Gumbo, Meat Pies and Dirty Rice .... like Manna from Heaven

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:33 pm Red beans and made with ham shanks and andouille sausage. I’m cooking it on Sunday for Christmas Day dinner because it's always better the second day!
I'm with Carl on this one, but I don't need the cornbread to hurt myself with that. I'm going to do just fine with my 9lb PM with only four of us.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:33 pm Red beans and made with ham shanks and andouille sausage. I’m cooking it on Sunday for Christmas Day dinner because it's always better the second day!
I'm with Carl on this one, but I don't need the cornbread to hurt myself with that. I'm going to do just fine with my 9lb PM with only four of us.

Everything y'all are fixing sounds so gooood!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

It doesn't matter at all so long as it's with my best half.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

JRG

Post by JRG »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:36 am
JRG wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:06 am My oldest daughter does a great scrambled egg and sausage meal every year. Looking forward to it again!

Joe
Sounds good to me and you have your daughter. We will be by our self this year.
Thanks Carl. She is pretty special, plus she has two daughters that we love to the moon and back. We also have another daughter, but she wants nothing to do with us unfortunately.

Merry Christmas to you and the missus.

Joe

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Here we go. It turned out amazingly well. This is only my second Prime Rib, so the temperatures still catch me off guard from what I'm used to after smoking several other things.

This is the garlic butter paste before putting it on the meat.

Seasoned with a little Sea Salt, Garlic powder, and black pepper.

After applying the Garlic Paste.

Here it is at 100 degrees internal temp. I just wanted to check on it at this point.

I took it off at 127 figuring it would still ride a couple degrees after I wrapped it up and let it rest.

Inside!

It turned out amazing! Everything did. I didn't get pictures of the scalloped potatoes or Brussell sprouts, but they were the best my wife has made yet. She found a new recipe for the sprouts that included pieces of bacon. :drool:

Although the Prime Rib was really good I think I'll wait two more degrees to remove my next one. Since I've only done two now I wasn't sure about temps. As I was checking it when it was getting about 115 internal my instant read thermometer was showing 145, 140, 135, as I was sliding it further in and that kinda freaked me out a bit. However, as I got closer to the center it matched the probe temp I put in at the start that I was monitoring. I was worried there wasn't going to be much pink and more brown towards the edges. From the pictures, though, you can see that wasn't the case. So, the next one will go a couple degrees more before pulling and wrapping it to rest. I set the temp to smoke at about 230 degrees this took 4hr 40min for this 9lb roast. If I find another about this size and go to 129 that should be about 5hr. That way I can better plan when to start and have about a 30 minute rest period before eating. The rest period for this one was about 90 minutes. It was still warm, but not as hot as I would have liked.

I've had briskets stay hot for 5+ hours after resting when wrapped and in my cooler. Maybe this didn't stay as hot because of the lower temp when pulled and wrapped.

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 10

Post by carlson1 »

My health kept me bed ridden yesterday so no celebration here. Today I feel like I was never in pain. So we are celebrating today.

On the smoker now…

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:49 am My health kept me bed ridden yesterday so no celebration here. Today I feel like I was never in pain. So we are celebrating today.

On the smoker now…
Glad you're feeling better and able to cook and celebrate today!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:49 am My health kept me bed ridden yesterday so no celebration here. Today I feel like I was never in pain. So we are celebrating today.

On the smoker now…
If it's just the Prime Rib I get it, but is there anything else going on the table with it?

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

C-dub wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:33 pm If it's just the Prime Rib I get it, but is there anything else going on the table with it?
Baked potatoes loaded.
Homemade yeast rolls.
Homemade pecan pie.

I have just ate myself into misery.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:52 pm
C-dub wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:33 pm If it's just the Prime Rib I get it, but is there anything else going on the table with it?
Baked potatoes loaded.
Homemade yeast rolls.
Homemade pecan pie.

Glad it turned out well.

I may get a few small boneless PM's and freeze them to try out a few different things before next Christmas rolls around.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

:thewave by
C-dub wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:24 pm
Baked potatoes loaded.
Homemade yeast rolls.
Homemade pecan pie.

Glad it turned out well.

I may get a few small boneless PM's and freeze them to try out a few different things before next Christmas rolls around.
How tender was your prime rib? In the past i always did herbs and in the oven. Tender and delicious. This year was simple salt, pepper, garlic and in the smoker. Great fast and flavor, but not near as tender. A little disappointing.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Would people eat nearly as much if it didn't have the word prime in the name? I've only had it a very few times and never had any worth walking across the room for.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:46 pm :thewave by
C-dub wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:24 pm
Baked potatoes loaded.
Homemade yeast rolls.
Homemade pecan pie.

Glad it turned out well.

How tender was your prime rib? In the past i always did herbs and in the oven. Tender and delicious. This year was simple salt, pepper, garlic and in the smoker. Great fast and flavor, but not near as tender. A little disappointing.
Very tender. My 84y old MIL said she was amazed at how easy it was to chew. Plenty moist as well. I’ve never had a problem with moisture in my Eggs, but I did put a couple cups of water in the drip pan that we were able to use for Au jus.

Return to “Off-Topic”