A Moscow post…

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

A Moscow post…

Post by philip964 »

I have a friend in Moscow. He is careful what he posts.

Since the invasion, there is more police presence at the subway. Which are very clean and much nicer, safer than NYC.

Morning of the start of the invasion, big lines at the ATMs to get cash.

The graffiti says “no war”.

No post today, I’m a little worried for him.

Please don’t repost the photos just in case.
Attachments
EDB80B89-47CD-40CA-A339-AC04DA74AEC5.jpeg
62AAC5F6-6FA8-4162-8E6A-8C46F87F4D72.jpeg

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A Moscow post…

Post by chasfm11 »

Some of the news is showing large anti-war rallies in places like St. Petersburg. Putin has his iron fist on the Russian public but even that is not going to allow him to do everything that he wants with impunity. Body bags returning from Urkarine are not going to play well.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

chasfm11 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:41 am Some of the news is showing large anti-war rallies in places like St. Petersburg. Putin has his iron fist on the Russian public but even that is not going to allow him to do everything that he wants with impunity. Body bags returning from Urkarine are not going to play well.
An acquaintance of his was arrested in a protest. Previously he had been posting everyday. Two days now and no posts.
He’s French, their security consultant is saying they are safe in Moscow. But if they needed to evacuate, it would be Poland by car or train.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

His company says he has to leave. Trying to get out.

I’ll update as I know something.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PUCKER »

Prayers for your friend and acquaintance!!

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

He’s in Dubai.

His companies corporate travel agent got the last seat on a plane for Dubai.

Only serious moment was when immigration officer after seeing his passport asked him why he was leaving early as his visa still had three months. He said he was going to work remotely. That seemed ok.

There was an article today about Russia wanting to keep foreign offices open.

Several others in his company didn’t get negative on 24 hour Covid tests in order to fly.

That would really be bad.

Pics he posted of Moscow.
Attachments
8603729A-81F4-4AB6-81A5-F07F91AD53C7.jpeg
23A1AD54-CD6C-4101-9FE9-3DB6C65D56E2.jpeg

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/20 ... g-charges/

First US pow a wnba player from Houston.

Arrested for drugs in February. Vape
pen with maybe cannibus oil, I’m no expert on this stuff.

WNBA players call on league to stop playing national anthem before games

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/wnba-pla ... fore-games

Obviously a pow Xiden can get behind, paying lots of money and/or giving up 10 Russian spies to get released.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

philip964 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:29 pm https://www.click2houston.com/sports/20 ... g-charges/

First US pow a wnba player from Houston.

Arrested for drugs in February. Vape
pen with maybe cannibus oil, I’m no expert on this stuff.

WNBA players call on league to stop playing national anthem before games

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/wnba-pla ... fore-games

Obviously a pow Xiden can get behind, paying lots of money and/or giving up 10 Russian spies to get released.
i am zero empathy or sympathy for the wnba player...they should have been there, its not like the dust up just happened
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

When I fly into Taiwan, I see this. You can bet I don't carry drugs.

In Russia, Article 228 of the Criminal Code states that possession of a 'significant amount' of drugs is punishable with a fine of up to RUB40,000 (€550) or compulsory community service of up to 480 hours, or correctional labour for up to 2 years, or restriction of liberty for up to 3 years, or imprisonment for the same period. You can bet I would not carry drugs.

See thought she was above the law and should pay the price for her stupidity.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

eyedoc wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:21 pm Image

When I fly into Taiwan, I see this. You can bet I don't carry drugs.

In Russia, Article 228 of the Criminal Code states that possession of a 'significant amount' of drugs is punishable with a fine of up to RUB40,000 (€550) or compulsory community service of up to 480 hours, or correctional labour for up to 2 years, or restriction of liberty for up to 3 years, or imprisonment for the same period. You can bet I would not carry drugs.

And even with warnings like that, morons will still try to traffic drugs through there. It is unbelievable! She is an idiot and deserves what she gets. Trying to bring narcotics into Russia? What a darned fool! No sympathy from me.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Another example of white supremacy and racism and if she was a man she would have been given a pass.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

eyedoc wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:21 pmIn Russia, Article 228 of the Criminal Code states that possession of a 'significant amount' of drugs is punishable with a fine of up to RUB40,000 (€550) or compulsory community service of up to 480 hours, or correctional labour for up to 2 years, or restriction of liberty for up to 3 years, or imprisonment for the same period. You can bet I would not carry drugs.

To be fair, she probably never thought of the vape cannabis oil as a drug. We have spoiled our citizenry in many ways by letting them do what they want. Then they think it is normal and try it other places.

Yes, she is stupid and has to pay the price for the stupidity, but it was not, I think, because she thought she was above the law. She was just so stupid she did not realize American laws do not apply in other countries.
Steve Rothstein

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

srothstein wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:19 pm
eyedoc wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:21 pmIn Russia, Article 228 of the Criminal Code states that possession of a 'significant amount' of drugs is punishable with a fine of up to RUB40,000 (€550) or compulsory community service of up to 480 hours, or correctional labour for up to 2 years, or restriction of liberty for up to 3 years, or imprisonment for the same period. You can bet I would not carry drugs.

To be fair, she probably never thought of the vape cannabis oil as a drug. We have spoiled our citizenry in many ways by letting them do what they want. Then they think it is normal and try it other places.

Yes, she is stupid and has to pay the price for the stupidity, but it was not, I think, because she thought she was above the law. She was just so stupid she did not realize American laws do not apply in other countries.
I remember, decades ago, somebody warning American travelers that you don't take the Constitution with you when you go over seas.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

A couple of decades ago, I had the opportunity to work in multiple European countries. I had a couple of American colleagues with me and I was surprised/appalled at how ignorant they were - on a couple of levels - regarding the laws, rules and norms of countries besides the United States. I called it the "Ugly American Syndrome" after the book title in the 60s From such small things as the date format through the metric system measurements, the Americans were annoyed that italy or France did not do things the way they were used to.

I do think that problem has gotten much worse as the United States ignores its own laws and people expect other countries to do the same. People who try to take firearms into Mexico quickly learn that the Mexicans are more repressive on that topic than even our blue States. Canada isn't much more tolerant on that topic.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

chasfm11 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:57 am

A couple of decades ago, I had the opportunity to work in multiple European countries. I had a couple of American colleagues with me and I was surprised/appalled at how ignorant they were - on a couple of levels - regarding the laws, rules and norms of countries besides the United States. I called it the "Ugly American Syndrome" after the book title in the 60s From such small things as the date format through the metric system measurements, the Americans were annoyed that italy or France did not do things the way they were used to.

I do think that problem has gotten much worse as the United States ignores its own laws and people expect other countries to do the same. People who try to take firearms into Mexico quickly learn that the Mexicans are more repressive on that topic than even our blue States. Canada isn't much more tolerant on that topic.
A few years ago I went on a bus/vac trip to Jamaica. I had an open bottle of Advil in my luggage and just before landing got worried about them thinking it was Oxy. The pills were blue and small, just like Oxy. They didn't go through my luggage and I went right through customs but I threw them away before my return trip. I can't imagine having the guts to try and transport real drugs.

Return to “Off-Topic”