Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

She and Lucy made the stew . They had potatoes , corn , onions and hominy . She wasn't ashamed of it like when they had little to put in it . They also made cornbread and had butter . Things had improved a lot !

She was stirring the cornbread up and Ray started moving his arms laying against the west wall on his pallet . She pushed the bowl aside and went to him . She talked low and gently shook his good shoulder . His eyes slowly opened some and she smiled at him and assuring him he was safe . Ray was confused , Claud heard her talking to Ray and he said loud ...Ray ! Your alright son ! We made it to the ranch and two nice ladies are taking care of us . Ray said slow and weakly ...Claud ! You alright Claud ? Claud said ...I got some broke ribs son but I'm good ! We seen the elephant Ray but he didn't get us ! Just let the nice ladies take care of you , they feed real good here son ..we got furlough till we get better .

Lucy and Rosa walked in the door and saw Ray was awake and ran to the pallet kneeling down . Lucy and Rosa started talking to him . Ray didn't make a lot of sense but he was talking and awake !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Her and Lucy told Ray to go back to sleep . They would wake him when lunch was ready She ran to where the men were building the cabins and told them Ray had woke up and tried to talk ! They were all excited and glad ! Lunch was a celebration , Rosa fed Ray with a spoon under Lucy's direction . Ray didn't eat a lot but thanked them . He reached up and pulled one of Rosa's pigtails through his hand and told her ...Guapa ! Tengo una nina bonita en casa ! Rosa smiled !

Claud ate really good for the first time , everyone was happy ! Wade stood after the meal and said ...We must give thanks to our Lord and savior Jesus Christ ! They all agreed , they had all prayed for Ray .

Wade said ...Lord thank you ! Thank you Lord for helping our brothers Claud and Ray . Help them yet Lord , restore them to health . Only you our creator and giver of life can restore them . Guide us here to do your will to help Lord . Show us what to do .
Lord Ed is out there alone except for you . We can not help him but you can . Hold Ed in your hand , protect and bring him home to us .
Be with Don , Steve and John as they make the crossing Lord . They haven't had experience . Strengthen them , shield them from harm and lead them home also . Thank you for gathering us all in this place . Thank you for all you give every day . Thank you Lord . Amen

And they all said ..Amen.

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Midafternoon it got black in the south . The men carried tools and everything in the shed . It was coming a big storm ! They could still work in the shed . Ed was most likely many miles away to the west and it might miss him . But it would catch Don , Steve and John on the open prairie , of that Wade had no doubt , It was going to be miserable for the young Rangers tonight . He hoped the weather would clear tomorrow but there was no telling .

She was very sad . She had wanted to get the garden planted before the first fall rain but it was too late now . They needed the rain though and when it dried a bit her and Zeke would do it . They seldom spent time together now , everything was so busy . There were so many people now that had needs . She promised herself they would start being together more working ..it's what they loved to do .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Ed sat on a rock in the coulee he had rode in to hide him and his horse . He kept the horse on his south side close to block the driving rain as water ran ankle deep around his boots . He covered himself with his blanket to lessen the force of the wind and rain . He had prayed that they would find water and GOD had given it in abundance ! They wouldn't have trouble finding water for several days .

Ed sat and chewed wet jerky under his blanket holding his horses reins . He thought about the ranch and that if it was raining there it would slow the cabin building . Ed had an investment in the people there , for the first time in years he knew what it felt like to miss someone . For years he refused to become attached to places and people . Ed thought about Lucy , he knew she would be scared for him . No one had worried about him most of his life . Ed did a lot of thinking under his blanket with water swirling around his boots about his home . He had a home with family and good friends . It was almost too big to think about . He prayed there under that blanket holding a piece of wet jerky in his hand to GOD for him to make it back home . Lightning filled the southern sky and thunder crashed around him as GOD revealed himself to Ed .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She didn't sleep good . She rose early and started the fire lighting the lamp being very quiet . It had thundered and the sky full of lightning all night . Ed , Don , Steve and John were out there in it , she worried . She checked Ray and Claud , they seemed alright and she poured a cup of coffee sitting down at the table .

She listened to the rain driving against the cabin and thunder booming all around and understood the Power of GOD . She silently prayed for each one she loved out there in harms way . She gave GOD credit and praise for bringing them all here . She thanked GOD for her trial and scars that helped her understand the hurt and needs of others and promised to not waste that which he had given her .

She sat quietly considering all around her . She understood the hopelessness of life without him .

She considered Elijah when he was hard put before those who would kill all that worshiped GOD . Though God had sent angels to care for him and told him where to go he was still distressed until God revealed himself to Elijah hiding in a cave wishing for death . Then he had heard that small still voice .
She opened her bible to Kings 1 and read …

And the word of the Lord came to him: “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
He replied, “I have been very zealous for the Lord God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, torn down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too.”
The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
He replied, “I have been very zealous for the Lord God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, torn down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too.”

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The dawn happened slowly . The skies were still black with low rolling clouds moving quickly north . The men didn't put the stock out , instead keeping them in the shed and haying them with a little corn . Maybe the storm would blow over later in the day . She and Lucy made biscuits and gravy with bacon . This many men could eat a lot of bacon !

The men had all ran to the cabin through the driving rain carrying buckets of water for the cabin . You could see the river was out of it's banks from the porch . The cabin would never flood it being on much higher ground , they were safe . The men talked of what they would do in the shed . Making boards , building an outhouse for the new cabins , splitting shakes …. . There was plenty they could get done for when it dried out .

Ray seemed to be talking and thinking better this morning . His color was better and he fed himself with his right hand slowly . Rosa sat eating beside him on the floor them talking in Spanish . Ray told her his wife , son and daughter lived at their farm on the Concho far to the south . Claud was still hurting every time he moved but his breathing was not so painful and he joined in the conversation from the bed .

Rays wounds were checked and rewrapped , there was little weeping from them and they looked good . Wade and Zeke stayed behind as the Garcia's ran to the shed during a small lull in the rain . They removed her stiches and Wade said ..Dang Zeke ! From now on your in charge of giving stiches ! That's the prettiest job I ever saw and I have seen many .

They pronounced her wound completely healed and said she could wash her hair . She was happy ! When Wade and Zeke went to the shed Lucy got the mirror and told her to look , all you could see was a tiny scar by her hair . Lucy said ...You can even leave the sides of your hair a little loose when you make a ponytail and not even see it ! She looked at the scar in the mirror and told Lucy ...No . I'm not afraid or ashamed of my scars anymore .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Ed pulled out of the coulee before first light . He had swung south then west staying off the horizon . He needed to find another hiding place then ride north to cut the Comanche's trail again keeping track of them . But they wouldn't be moving this day because of the storm . He rode slowly west with a strong wind and driving rain beating him and his horse from the south .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The men had roped off half the shed where they slept to contain the horses and two cows . If all the stock were here that Don ,Ed , Steve and John had out there would be no room in the shed for the men in bad weather . They needed the cabins finished ! They were having a lot of growing pains and working hard at fixing the housing , supplies , dealing with Ranger and ranch problems at the same time .

Wade wanted to start stringing fence when the barbed wire came and holes needed to be dug with posts and staves cut . The garden needed to be planted ,the cornfield plowed , more hay needed be got in , much firewood needed cut....the list was endless !

But on the positive side they couldn't have a more determined group of people to work together to get it done ! It was the beginning of September , the rainy season here on the plains . They were learning many lessons that would stand them in good stead for the future .

Rosa was sitting on the floor , Lucy had cut her out a new gown from flour sack material and they watched and taught her to sew it up . The pup was sitting beside her and she petted him every once in a while . Lucy and her worked on Ed's new shirt at the table .

Rosa asked her in Spanish...What is the puppy's name ? Lucy translated for her and Rosa . She said ...He has no name . Rosa said ...He is a brave and good dog ..he should have a name ! She thought and said ...Rosa you are perfectly right ! He deserves a name ! What would you name him ? Rosa thought and said ...His eyes are blue . His fur is blue ...He should be named ..Blue ! She agreed it was the perfect name and from now on he would be ..Blue !

It made Rosa happy ! She worked on Ed's shirt and in a bit she said ...My cow has no name , we need to think of a nice name for her too . She has been too long without a name . Rosa said ...We must all think to name her ….and all the chickens too ! She said ...That's a wonderful idea , we will pick names to fit each one ! Then Rosa said ...And we will name your mule too !

She laid down the shirt and said to Rosa ...He has a name ...He is ...The black Mule ! He was a gift to me from GOD , he is a special mule . When it dries outside I will show you how to make him come to you and show you how he likes to be scratched on his ears ! He is special , a loyal and good mule . If you ever need to ride you take the black mule Rosa .

Rosa agreed and wanted to ride such a mule .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Don , Steve and John had made good time even in the driving rain they rode into with their hats pulled low on their faces . There was water everywhere in the low places so it would not be a dry crossing this time . They pushed the stock and in early evening the black clouds rolled away to the north and the sun came out . It was cool with a light wind and they spread their blankets on the pack saddle horses to dry what they would as they rode .

Near dark they stopped in a low spot that had drained , They made a small fire of brush wood and John managed to walk up a rabbit . They cooked the rabbit pieces on brush sticks over the coals . The rabbit tasted dang good when they got it done , they had a little dried cornbread left in a bucket to go with it .

As they ate Steve asked ...I wonder where Ed is ? I hope he's alright , he's a hard mean old man but I wouldn't have anything happen to him . Don said ...Ed ain't mean . Ed sent us back because he wouldn't put us in the danger he took on himself . He wants us to be like the old Rangers . I have been around the people at the ranch longer than ya'll . I listen to them talk and it took me a while to figure it out . Their strength lies in each other . Instead of just taking care of yourself you take care of one another ...Just like Claud and Ray did .

Don went on and said ...If we don't work together and protect one another we will fail . We will die alone somewhere each to our self . We are strong together . The old Rangers that lived know that . Like Ed told you when you got to the ranch ...pay attention !

Don prayed .
Father help Ed . Be with Ed out there . Ed's alone except for you Lord . Protect him and bring him back to us Lord we need him bad to teach us . Please hold your hand over him to keep him safe . Thank you for our friend Ed . Amen

Steve and John listened and in a bit they said ...Amen .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The rain blew over at the ranch .The storm clouds went north and the sun broke out . The river was running high over it's banks , the ground was soaked . New grass would be coming up to mow for hay . The prairie would take on new life again . It had been nearly three months since a rain with high temperature every day . . The stock could be staked out closer to the cabins , the grass being grazed out .

The air smelled clean and everything seemed new . The men had built an outhouse to set for the new cabins and many boards to use . They made broom shafts from slat corners and heads from broom weed she had collected last fall hanging in the shed . They had been busy !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The men came in for supper . They had dried buffalo and rice like Lucy had made a few days before with cornbread and pecan pie . Ray was sleeping a lot but aware of what was going on . Claud talked to Lucy , Rosa and her all the time but would have to heal more to get up and around . Rosa was teaching the pup his new name in English and Spanish...Blue and Azul .

They were glad to get the rain but also glad it was past . They still worried about Don , Steve , John and Ed . Lucy and her had finished Ed's new shirt and it was folded and put on a shelf waiting for him . The stock had been put on grass after the rain and had to be brought in after supper . Rain was the big event and everything else just tying to get things done . Zeke offered to go hunting for fresh meat in the morning and Lucy and her were looking forward to something different for meals .

Ray and Claud were better . Much still got done working in the shed , good meals were had and it was a good day ! They prayed for all who were out on the prairie to make it safely back home .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She awoke and kindled the fire lighting the lamp . She quiet as she could simmered dried meat to mix with scrambled eggs and a bit of bacon . They needed to conserve all the bacon and ham possible for meals made in quantity like beans or rice to make it go farther but still be good .

She drank a cup of coffee thinking and feeling determined to help with the cabins today . She knew the men would not want her doing the hard work but she didn't care . With Ed , Don , Steve and John gone they needed all the help they could get ! She was feeling much better and almost back to normal . Lucy could more than handle the meals and take care of Claud and Ray .

Lucy got up and sat drinking coffee with her . She told Lucy she would be working with the men today . Lucy said ...OH ! They will not have it ! You were beaten and in terrible shape not long ago , Wade will have a fit ! She raised her coffee taking a sip and said ...Then he'll have to deal with it .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The rooster started crowing before daylight . The men got the stock on grass and started coming to eat bringing water . They all pulled their muddy boots of on the porch and ate sock footed laughing about it . They sat Ray up against the cabin wall to eat on his pallet . Rosa sat by him to help him . Claud was raised and propped up with quilts and ate in the bed .

During the meal toward the end she said ...Zeke is going hunting for us this morning . I will help with the cabins of what needs be done . We need to get them up and are shorthanded . They all said ...No ! Wade said ...You have no business doing the hard work . You haven't completely recovered from the beating you took !

She held up her hand and said ...I will hear no more . I am fine to work !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke tried to talk her out of it before he left with Nate and Rosa to go hunting . She hugged him and kissed his cheek saying ...Get us some lunch and supper . Teach Rosa to use the shotgun . Teach Nate to hunt and she laughed .

Wade walked to the shed with her trying to talk her out of working with them . She stopped and said … We will be working together the rest of our lives . I need to help today , you . Zeke and Ed try so hard to protect me . Lets do the work together Wade .

They started carrying the tools , dry boards made in the shed ,and all they needed inside the bunkhouse to finish the floor . The outside was muddy but Wade started roughing notches in logs to raise and fit . She jack planed boards on horses they had built . In an hour or so Simon said . Senora you are good with the planes ! You are fast . She said ...I helped build the shed and cabin with Hosea , he was good working with wood . He taught me and we worked together .

Wade heard her talking to Simon and it gave him thought . She was small , she almost acted like a child in her innocence at times but she was deceiving in her appearance . He had never seen another woman as strong as her . She was strong in her nature of calmness and quiet much like Zeke . He was drawn to her because of that calmness , he was capable of letting rage control him at times if he let it . She bridled that in him . He needed to be more like her .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke took Rosa her carrying Nate to hunt . She asked Zeke ...Is not Nate scared when you shoot the gun ? Zeke said ...Oh no ! He likes to go hunting , he know guns ! Rosa looked doubtful and said ...Senor Zeke ...I am afraid of guns ! Zeke explained that guns were part of their life . That without guns they could not eat well and protect themselves and ones they love .

A jackrabbit jumped up and Zeke fired . The rabbit rolled to a stop and Rosa ran to get him . Bringing him back Zeke told her ...We have just provided food for our family , GOD gave us a way to provide . They walked a bit and another rabbit ran from some shinnery and Zeke whistled . The jackrabbit stopped sitting behind a clump of salt grass with his ears up . Zeke took Nate and handed her the shotgun , he laid Nate down in the old shawl and showed her how to hold the shotgun and aim . She said ...It is so heavy ! Zeke said ...You can do it ! She fired and took a step back . The rabbit was dead beside the clump of grass .

She gave the shotgun to Zeke and ran to get the rabbit . She came back smiling and Zeke kissed her head telling her how good she did . They started walking east again with Zeke carrying the shotgun and she asked excitedly ...Do I get another turn to shoot senor Zeke ? He said ...Of course ! We will both help feed everyone we love today .

Return to “Off-Topic”