Short trip ideas

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
bobby
Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:57 pm
Location: HOUSTON
Contact:

Short trip ideas

#1

Post by bobby » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:02 am

I don’t like to travel or stay at tourist traps. My wife and son loves to travel and all that. I’m looking for a idea on a day or 2 trip to someplace fun. Thing to think about. My wife is in a powered wheelchair, we have to drive our van. So no yurts or really odd places to stay. Help!
:txflag:

User avatar

joe817
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 9158
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: Short trip ideas

#2

Post by joe817 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 am

It all depends on where your interest lies. I would think adventuresome would be out of the places. Do you all like to tour historic places? My wife & I do. If so, I'd say Baton Rouge, or New Orleans, and start touring all of the old plantations on the Mississippi down in that area. A lot of great places to eat as well.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Short trip ideas

#3

Post by LDP » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:32 am

I am right there with you, I am not into tourist trap stuff but wife is. Gotta support the loved ones, though, right?

We don't travel much but we recently spent a weekend in Fredericksburg (west of SAT). Plenty of historic places to see, nice churches, wineries, breweries, museums, gardens, restaurants etc. All wheelchair accessible, btw. The place lives off tourists, mainly city people from nearby Austin.
Gotta warn you, though, the "German" food isn't really authentic, it has been understandably Americanized over the decades.

Not many 06 or 07 places, most wineries have fake 51% signs so do your homework.


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1881
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Short trip ideas

#4

Post by WTR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:45 am

I don’t know where you live. However , the I know when we built new hotels , Ranger station and trails that everything had to be wheel chair accessable. The rangers did a good job keeping the trails manicured ( this was in the 89-90 range of time. But knowing how the concessioner moved, I bet not much has changed. This was in the Chisos Basin of Big Bend Park.


Topic author
bobby
Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:57 pm
Location: HOUSTON
Contact:

Re: Short trip ideas

#5

Post by bobby » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 am

I’m in Houston area. Big bend too long of a drive 350 miles is about all I want to do.
:txflag:


surprise_i'm_armed
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4210
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 am
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Short trip ideas

#6

Post by surprise_i'm_armed » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Greece is ridiculous for a gentleman who wants to go no further than 350 miles from Houston.

2 posts on this board, with a suggestion like this, suggests a travel agent spammer.

<Note: a spammer's entry above has been removed>

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today I didn't even have to use my AK.
I got to say it was a good day.

Ice Cube, 1969- , "It was a good day."


Topic author
bobby
Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:57 pm
Location: HOUSTON
Contact:

Re: Short trip ideas

#7

Post by bobby » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Ferkil wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm
Any capital would be interesting to visit. I love Greece for example, at some point was even thinking of getting property in Athens https://tranio.com/greece/attica/athens/. If you never been there I would advise to go, very cheap, great people and nice food.
Ok nice I’m self employed and can’t take a few weeks off. Spammer!
:txflag:

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: Short trip ideas

#8

Post by oohrah » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:17 pm

The Strand in Galveston is wheelchair friendly.

Arkansas National Wildlife Refuge has a circuit drive (don't have to get out of the car) and IIRC, the viewing spots were wheelchair accessible.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6113
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Short trip ideas

#9

Post by Liberty » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 pm

joe817 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 am
It all depends on where your interest lies. I would think adventuresome would be out of the places. Do you all like to tour historic places? My wife & I do. If so, I'd say Baton Rouge, or New Orleans, and start touring all of the old plantations on the Mississippi down in that area. A lot of great places to eat as well.
Good suggestion about New Orleans, The plantations are pretty neat to tour. If going to New Orleans check Sculpture Garden. I'm not much into art and culture but found it interesting. Very accessible.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6113
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Short trip ideas

#10

Post by Liberty » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:55 pm

LDP wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:32 am
I am right there with you, I am not into tourist trap stuff but wife is. Gotta support the loved ones, though, right?

We don't travel much but we recently spent a weekend in Fredericksburg (west of SAT). Plenty of historic places to see, nice churches, wineries, breweries, museums, gardens, restaurants etc. All wheelchair accessible, btw. The place lives off tourists, mainly city people from nearby Austin.
Gotta warn you, though, the "German" food isn't really authentic, it has been understandably Americanized over the decades.

Not many 06 or 07 places, most wineries have fake 51% signs so do your homework.
All in all the food is still pretty good in Fredricksburg.
a side trip to the LBJ Ranch is very interesting. The WW2 Naval museum is well worth the trip. You don't have to climb Enchamted Rock to appreciate it.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Short trip ideas

#11

Post by jb2012 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Add me to the Fredericksburg tally. I live 45 minutes away and still love to get away out there.

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3363
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Short trip ideas

#12

Post by SewTexas » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:59 am

Robert and I just did a last minute trip to DFW. Did a Groupon for the hotel. The Kimbel has an amazing Monet exhibit right now, ohhh the waterlilies!!!....through sometime in Sept. If you like bookstores Dallas also has the Flagship for HalfPrice Books Stores, we can spend hours in there.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Short trip ideas

#13

Post by oljames3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm

SewTexas wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:59 am
Robert and I just did a last minute trip to DFW. Did a Groupon for the hotel. The Kimbel has an amazing Monet exhibit right now, ohhh the waterlilies!!!....through sometime in Sept. If you like bookstores Dallas also has the Flagship for HalfPrice Books Stores, we can spend hours in there.
Are the Half-Price Bookstores you frequent posted with 30.06 and 30.07 as they all are in the Austin area?
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

joe817
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 9158
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: Short trip ideas

#14

Post by joe817 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:55 pm

oljames3 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:59 am
Robert and I just did a last minute trip to DFW. Did a Groupon for the hotel. The Kimbel has an amazing Monet exhibit right now, ohhh the waterlilies!!!....through sometime in Sept. If you like bookstores Dallas also has the Flagship for HalfPrice Books Stores, we can spend hours in there.
Are the Half-Price Bookstores you frequent posted with 30.06 and 30.07 as they all are in the Austin area?
They are here in Arlington. Both of them. Well...only 1 left. The one in Lincoln Square closed. I used to love going there but not any more since its posted 06 & 07. :totap:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Short trip ideas

#15

Post by oljames3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:57 pm

joe817 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:55 pm
oljames3 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:59 am
Robert and I just did a last minute trip to DFW. Did a Groupon for the hotel. The Kimbel has an amazing Monet exhibit right now, ohhh the waterlilies!!!....through sometime in Sept. If you like bookstores Dallas also has the Flagship for HalfPrice Books Stores, we can spend hours in there.
Are the Half-Price Bookstores you frequent posted with 30.06 and 30.07 as they all are in the Austin area?
They are here in Arlington. Both of them. Well...only 1 left. The one in Lincoln Square closed. I used to love going there but not any more since its posted 06 & 07. :totap:
:iagree:
Same. I avoid 30.06 unless absolutely neccessary and 30.07 as much as I can.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”