1688 - Captains Martín de Rivas and Andrés de Pez y Malzárraga conducted the fifth and final maritime expedition of the Spanish search for René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle's colony in the Gulf of Mexico. The Rivas-Pez expedition was the only one of the search effort to make extensive river explorations.
It came in response to the confused testimony of Jean Jarry, a Frenchman found living among the Coahuiltecans in southwestern Texas. Leaving the Río de las Palmas, the ships entered the Rio Grande on September 2, as Indians appeared on shore making hostile signs. The two canoes, each with nine armed men, explored up the river for "36 leagues," the first known instance of Europeans sailing on the river.
From the Rio Grande, the expedition proceeded to Matagorda Bay, where the voyagers explored for two weeks without threading the passage into Lavaca Bay that could have led to the French colony. During that time they had two encounters with Indians, doubtless the Karankawas responsible for the final destruction of La Salle's Fort St. Louis. [ https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/upr06 ]
1835 - The schooner San Felipe was purchased in New Orleans by Thomas F. McKinney to supply his tradinghouse in Quintana. Although not a warship, the San Felipe was then heavily armed and laden with a cargo of munitions. Upon approaching Brazoria on September 1, she was taken in tow by the steamer Laura. Austin, his fellow passengers, and much of the San Felipe's cargo had been removed to the Laura for transshipment across the bar when she was approached by the Mexican revenue cutter Correo de México.
The Mexican cutter attempted to come within cannon range of the San Felipe, and Hurd attempted to bring the San Felipe alongside the Mexican ship to board her. The ensuing heavy exchange of cannon and rifle fire lasted from about 8:00 P.M. until 9:00 P.M., a battle in which two of the Correo's guns were dismounted, most of the crew were wounded, and her captain, Thomas M. (Mexico) Thompson, was shot twice in the legs.
Thereupon Thompson put to sea, and the San Felipe gave chase through the night. On the morning of September 2 the Laura towed the San Felipe into range of the Correo, and Thompson surrendered unconditionally. Hurd then escorted his prize back to New Orleans. Because Thompson did not have a copy of his commission on board, he and his crew were charged with piracy, and a comic-opera trial ensued.
[ https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qts03 ]
1838 - On September 2, 1838, Holland Coffee(under Presidential appointment by Sam Houston) enacted a treaty between the Republic of Texas and the Kichai, Tawakoni, Waco, and Tawehash Indians at the Shawnee village, near the site of modern Denison.
1844 - William H. Bourland was issued an unconditional certificate for land in Lamar County on September 2, 1844. In 1845 he introduced a bill to incorporate the town of Paris, the county seat of Lamar County.
1844 - Castroville, the "little Alsace" of Texas, is located on the Medina River and U.S. Highway 90 twenty-five miles west of San Antonio in eastern Medina County. The town was named for its founder, Henri Castro, with whom the Republic of Texas negotiated an empresario contract. Wanting to locate his first settlement on the Medina River, Castro purchased the sixteen leagues between his grant and the river from John McMullen of San Antonio.
He arranged transport for mostly Catholic Alsatian farmers to the Texas coast, from where the colonists were escorted overland to San Antonio. On September 2, 1844, Castro set out from San Antonio with his colonists, accompanied by Texas Ranger John C. Hays and five of his rangers, to decide upon a site for settlement.
The company chose a level, park-like area near a sharp bend of the Medina River covered with pecan trees. Castro recounts in his memoirs that after crossing the river members of his party killed two deer, three bears, and one alligator and caught numerous fish. [ https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HJC05 ]
1861 - At the time of secession from the Union Willis L. Lang raised a company of lancers for Confederate service. This unit was mustered into the army at Camp Sibley near San Antonio on September 2, 1861, as Company B of Gen. Thomas Green's Fifth Texas Mounted Volunteers.
1871 - Jacob Franklin Wolters, legislator and soldier, son of Theodore Henry and Margaret (Wink) Wolters, was born near New Ulm, Texas, on September 2, 1871. Wolters entered the Texas National Guard as a private in Company D of the Fayette Light Guards in 1891, served as first lieutenant of the First Texas Cavalry, United States Volunteers, during the Spanish-American War, and organized the Fifty-sixth Cavalry Brigade during World War I.
He commanded the guard when martial law was declared at Longview, Corpus Christi, Galveston, Mexia, and Borger. Camp Wolters (later Fort Wolters), which was established in Palo Pinto County in 1925 as a training camp for the Fifty-sixth Brigade, was named for him. Wolters became brigadier general of the Texas National Guard on April 1, 1918, and was made major general on retirement.
1937 - The 10,941-acre Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area is on U.S. Highway 287 twenty miles northwest of Palestine in northwest Anderson County. The land, in the post oak savannah region of the state, was purchased by the Texas Game, Fish, and Oyster Commission between 1950 and 1960 for a state-owned and operated wildlife management area.
Development was accomplished under the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act, approved on September 2, 1937, by the United States Congress. The Engeling Wildlife Management Area operates under the Wildlife Division of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. The staff consists of six permanent, full-time employees. The Engeling Wildlife Management Area illustrates quality wildlife habitat and proper management, necessary attributes of proper land stewardship.
1971 - Assault, a highly decorated thoroughbred and winner of the Triple Crown, was born at the King Ranch on March 26, 1943. With wins totaling $675,470 Assault was one of the leading money earners of his time. Assault was inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 1964. In 1999 a panel for Blood-Horse Magazine ranked Assault number thirty-three on their list of the top 100 racehorses of the twentieth century.
Assault passed away on September 2, 1971. He is buried at the King Ranch. Also known as the "Texas Flier" and "Texas Terror," Assault stood 15.3 hands tall and sported the markings of a forehead star and one white sock. Though assessed as average-looking by many in the racing establishment, the horse remained the only Texas-bred Triple Crown winner as of the early twenty-first century.
[ https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/tca04 ]
Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!
1 post • Page 1 of 1