Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10239
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#1

Post by philip964 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm



Stay safe first responders.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#2

Post by Flightmare » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:02 pm

I have a friend who is visiting down that way right now. She was 6 miles away when it happened. The video posted above is from a friend of theirs apparently. I'm being told that there is a mandatory evacuation being done in the area.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1800
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#3

Post by mrvmax » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:36 pm

And a class action suit was already filed. People are already seeing dollar signs from this.


Ed4032
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:24 am
Location: DFW

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#4

Post by Ed4032 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:47 pm

My brother lives 4.5 miles from the explosion site. Pretty loud.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member


OneGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Houston

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#5

Post by OneGun » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:58 pm

I thought the explosion was the result of the collective minds of the Democrats realizing their attempt at Impeaching POTUS failed.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!


equin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:17 am
Location: DFW

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#6

Post by equin » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:48 pm

60,000 forced to evacuate right before Thanksgiving:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/explosion- ... ncy-today/

Thank God no one was killed, though.
Ed


powerboatr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:53 pm
Location: Quitman

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#7

Post by powerboatr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:20 pm

wholly cow, i saw a blurp on the news early this morning. had no idea it was this intense.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6197
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#8

Post by Liberty » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:20 am

mrvmax wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:36 pm
And a class action suit was already filed. People are already seeing dollar signs from this.
After an automobile accident, the first thing most of us do is exchange insurance papers. Is this any different?
Typically these things aren't just accidents, but gross acts of negligence. Blowing out people's windows and doors, exposure to chemicals and being forced to evacuate on Thanksgiving, would leave me POed, angry and out for blood.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7440
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#9

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 am

Liberty wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:20 am
mrvmax wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:36 pm
And a class action suit was already filed. People are already seeing dollar signs from this.
After an automobile accident, the first thing most of us do is exchange insurance papers. Is this any different?
Typically these things aren't just accidents, but gross acts of negligence. Blowing out people's windows and doors, exposure to chemicals and being forced to evacuate on Thanksgiving, would leave me POed, angry and out for blood.
My career was in the chemical industry. I can assure you that most of these events are not “gross acts of negligence “. Rest assured that there will be an investigation by multiple agencies.

I was the assistant plant manager during such an event in 1996 in Northern California. Both internal and agency investigations determined the root cause. My employer made those affected whole. Federal agencies cited findings but no gross negligence.

One should refrain from making statements that grossly mischaracterize such events especially when one has zero facts to support such statements.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1800
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#10

Post by mrvmax » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:39 am

Liberty wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:20 am
mrvmax wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:36 pm
And a class action suit was already filed. People are already seeing dollar signs from this.
After an automobile accident, the first thing most of us do is exchange insurance papers. Is this any different?
Typically these things aren't just accidents, but gross acts of negligence. Blowing out people's windows and doors, exposure to chemicals and being forced to evacuate on Thanksgiving, would leave me POed, angry and out for blood.
I never went to law school but I have watched some YouTube videos..... So when you get into an auto accident you call your attorney and tell them to fie a lawsuit against the person that you hit? That is much different than exchanging insurance and you make too many assumptions. Give me some data that most of these are gross acts of negligence and give me some info you know about this incident (that apparently nobody else knows) that this specific incident is due to negligence.

The last 25 years I have worked in those environments and it is too soon to tell what happened. I can tell you that when my company was built in the 60’s there were no residential developments anywhere near us. Over the years developers have built houses closer and closer to chemical plants. If you want someone to sue file suit against them. Or ask yourself why you would live next to a place where this can happen. Most people choose where to live and if you make the choice to live close to a plant do not be surprised when there are accidents, it is the nature of the business (and any business). No industry has a 100% safety record.

I think you should reconsider your thoughts on this. Some lawsuits may be warranted but there is no way this one had enough info yet to justify. It is someone getting greedy when they see deep pockets of large companies.


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1800
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#11

Post by mrvmax » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:41 am

anygunanywhere wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 am
Liberty wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:20 am
mrvmax wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:36 pm
And a class action suit was already filed. People are already seeing dollar signs from this.
After an automobile accident, the first thing most of us do is exchange insurance papers. Is this any different?
Typically these things aren't just accidents, but gross acts of negligence. Blowing out people's windows and doors, exposure to chemicals and being forced to evacuate on Thanksgiving, would leave me POed, angry and out for blood.
My career was in the chemical industry. I can assure you that most of these events are not “gross acts of negligence “. Rest assured that there will be an investigation by multiple agencies.

I was the assistant plant manager during such an event in 1996 in Northern California. Both internal and agency investigations determined the root cause. My employer made those affected whole. Federal agencies cited findings but no gross negligence.

One should refrain from making statements that grossly mischaracterize such events especially when one has zero facts to support such statements.
You beat me to the response but I agree with you 100%. There very well could be due to negligence but it is way too soon to tell.


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#12

Post by srothstein » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:49 am

Gentlemen, I believe we have no need to argue about this event. I am not sure I can tell you the difference between negligence and gross negligence other than to use the old "I know it when I see it" claim. If something unintended happened, there is always some negligence involved on someone's part, with the amount to still be determined. DPS changed the name of the forms from accident report to collision reports and the shooting industry changed the name from accidental discharge to negligent discharge for this reason.

But thank you for posting this Phillip964. My brother-in-law lives in that area after retiring from working at one of the plants there. I need to check on how he and his house are doing.
Steve Rothstein


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1800
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#13

Post by mrvmax » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:28 am

srothstein wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:49 am
Gentlemen, I believe we have no need to argue about this event. I am not sure I can tell you the difference between negligence and gross negligence other than to use the old "I know it when I see it" claim. If something unintended happened, there is always some negligence involved on someone's part, with the amount to still be determined. DPS changed the name of the forms from accident report to collision reports and the shooting industry changed the name from accidental discharge to negligent discharge for this reason.

But thank you for posting this Phillip964. My brother-in-law lives in that area after retiring from working at one of the plants there. I need to check on how he and his house are doing.
I’m not arguing, just making a point about jumping to conclusions. As gun owners we don’t like when the media assumes active shooters are conservative, Caucasian, Trump supporting, NRA members before facts are out do we? Yet we tend to do the same thing in other areas outside of firearms. Yes, this is a bad deal for all involved but before jumping to conclusions and making blanket statements pointing blame before facts are known let’s wait to see how it pans out. Every accident is preventable but not every one is due to negligence. I just hate seeing people jumping on the lawsuit bandwagon looking for a payout. I think I’ve beat this dead horse so I’m done. Have a good thanksgiving.


Ed4032
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:24 am
Location: DFW

Re: Port Neches Plant Explosion on security video

#14

Post by Ed4032 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:28 am

Pictures from last night. Still burning. They make C4 there.
Attachments
1D2367E1-2655-4BE1-B732-5E4A3B9D0129.jpeg
7FB01F90-CE04-4223-852E-2C0FD3950404.jpeg
326AC0D8-42FA-4196-B6F4-D5459CE75FF7.jpeg
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”