Anyone been to the Frontsight training

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
justapatriot
Posts in topic: 1

Anyone been to the Frontsight training

Post by justapatriot »

Wanted to see if anyone has been to the frontsight training and one really gets all the material and gifts that are mention in the ads.
Glock 23,22,35
Taurus TCP
Mossberg 500
CHL 1995
NRA Lifetime Member

Guns have two ememies....corrosion and politicians.

jester
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Anyone been to the Frontsight training

Post by jester »

It's not a scam but it is a marketing ploy. The retail value of the goods and the ccw class are generously estimated and they will try to sell additional classes or a membership. However, if you're willing to deal with the sales pitch, it's not a bad deal. A buddy went and said the 4 day class was not at the level of Gunsite or Thunder Ranch, but it was solid training in the fundamentals.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

jester wrote:It's not a scam but it is a marketing ploy.
I answered all ten questions wrong and still get a free gift. Isn't America wonderful!

http://www.frontsight.com/landingpg-1.a ... 2godjRUi4g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Frontsight Training.
NRA Endowment Member

08thunders

Post by 08thunders »

It looks liek the marketing machine is nothing new. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1101&p=9495&hilit=piazza#p9495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

extremist
Posts in topic: 7

Post by extremist »

If you want real feedback from someone who has been there several times, and not some internet commando second hand drivel, then feel free to contact me.

I'll just say that I've been there several times and training is well worth what you pay for it, and all the promotional materials are delivered as promised.

And with regards to the slam above, how many accidental shootings have occurred at the other big schools (i.e. Recently GUNSITE)? How many were shooter carelessness? And how many were law enforcement (doing it their way). Look it up. AND what rate per students trained? FS trains more regular people every year than all the other schools COMBINED.

Regards,
James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

extremist wrote:If you want real feedback from someone who has been there several times, and not some internet commando second hand drivel, then feel free to contact me.'
Who are you referring to?
extremist wrote:And with regards to the slam above, how many accidental shootings have occurred at the other big schools (i.e. Recently GUNSITE)? How many were shooter carelessness? And how many were law enforcement (doing it their way). Look it up. AND what rate per students trained?
Give us the numbers please. As for Thunder Ranch, I believe the answer is still none.
extremist wrote:FS trains more regular people every year than all the other schools COMBINED.
What is the source for this statement? I hope it's not Dr. Piazza

Did you know of the class action lawsuit that was filed and the claims made? Did you see the absurd promotional CD that Front Sight/Dr. Piazza sent to all IDPA members through IDPA HQ a few years ago? If so, what did you think of the claims?

Frontsight used to advertise on the TSRA website and without prior approval, included a disaster photo to with a statement that "TSRA wants to you . . ." FS doesn't advertise on TSRA's website any longer.

Go to FS as much and as often as you like, but TexasCHLforum will not be used to promote it.

Chas.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Due to all the legal issues I have seen including the class action suit Charles Mentioned, the fact that it went into receivership due to the owner not paying up, and other issues I try to ignore them.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Grog

Post by Grog »

extremist wrote:
what rate per students trained? FS trains more regular people every year than all the other schools COMBINED.

Walmart sells more cans of tomato soup than everyone else, but that does not mean they are the best place to buy it :mrgreen:

jester

Post by jester »

Grog wrote:Walmart sells more cans of tomato soup than everyone else, but that does not mean they are the best place to buy it :mrgreen:
It also doesn't mean they're not, especially if you're there for ammo anyway.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

AndyC wrote:some of the folks on the forum here have spent a lot of actual time on the two-way range
That's a very interesting way to put it, well said! :tiphat:

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

PUCKER wrote:
AndyC wrote:some of the folks on the forum here have spent a lot of actual time on the two-way range
That's a very interesting way to put it, well said! :tiphat:
After the 1st round zings past your ear,most people find out they aren't near as macho as they thought they were.

williamkevin

Post by williamkevin »

AndyC wrote:
extremist wrote:If you want real feedback from someone who has been there several times, and not some internet commando second hand drivel, then feel free to contact me.

I'll just say that I've been there several times and training is well worth what you pay for it, and all the promotional materials are delivered as promised.

And with regards to the slam above, how many accidental shootings have occurred at the other big schools (i.e. Recently GUNSITE)? How many were shooter carelessness? And how many were law enforcement (doing it their way). Look it up. AND what rate per students trained? FS trains more regular people every year than all the other schools COMBINED.

Regards,
James
Let me explain something to you, neighbor, but listen close because apparently you read with your ego.

First off - I said that I believe that their training is ok - and that is based on the opinions of people I know and respect who have attended. Not outstanding, nor unique - but ok.

Second - the accidental shootings and the deaths are simply a fact; pointing at others is like complaining to a cop that someone else was breaking the speed-limit faster than you - mildly interesting but ultimately irrelevant to the issue at hand. For what it's worth, I do agree that it's not a school's fault if a student is negligent while not under the immediate supervision and control of their instructor - but I wasn't implying that anyway.

However - when someone dies on a training course as a result of negligence of the staff (in my sole opinion), then alarm bells seriously begin to ring for me.

As for the "internet commando" comment - well, some of the folks on the forum here have spent a lot of actual time on the two-way range, not just puffed and waddled their way through a few courses on a weekend. Now, seeing as you raised the subject, I believe that it's only fair to give you your say, so let's hear it: what's your claim to fame, then?
:iagree:

extremist
Posts in topic: 7

Post by extremist »

AndyC wrote: First off - I said that I believe that their training is ok - and that is based on the opinions of people I know and respect who have attended. Not outstanding, nor unique - but ok.

However - when someone dies on a training course as a result of negligence of the staff (in my sole opinion), then alarm bells seriously begin to ring for me.

As for the "internet commando" comment - well, some of the folks on the forum here have spent a lot of actual time on the two-way range, not just puffed and waddled their way through a few courses on a weekend. Now, seeing as you raised the subject, I believe that it's only fair to give you your say, so let's hear it: what's your claim to fame, then?
Please provide evidence of anyone dying at Front Sight due to Range Officer negligence. I don't believe you can.

As for two-way range? I not sure what you are talking about. If you are talking about combat experience, yes, alas, I have none. Puffed and waddled through a few courses? Well, I haven't puffed or waddled but I have taken several classes at Front Sight, competed in 4 man competition at Tiger Valley, taken courses and competed at Steve Mose's training facility as well as others in the past.

I compete regularly at CTIDPA and you are welcome to come shoot with us and meet some of the guys at the local IDPA matches. You can look at my scores on our website, as well as the DPC website when I compete there.

My "internet commando" comment wasn't intended directly at you but those on the internet who disparage Front Sight without having been there and having first hand knowledge.

As for how many people they train, it's easy to see the numbers that they train (350-500 people a weekend during May/June/July) that they easily train more people than Gunsite/Thunder Ranch and others combined. Their goal is not deep deep tactical training like Hackworth, Magpul and some others, but rather the basic handgun skills to be comfortable with your carry weapon. They offer more "tactical" training but their bread and butter is 4 Day Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle. The original poster asked:
Wanted to see if anyone has been to the frontsight training and one really gets all the material and gifts that are mention in the ads.
I provided him with my input.

Regards,
James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”