Michigan State to allow concealed weapons, sortof

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Michigan State to allow concealed weapons, sortof

Post by BrianSW99 »

Just saw this in a higher ed email newsletter I get:

http://www.higheredmorning.com/school-a ... -on-campus
School allows guns on campus
July 28, 2009 by Tom D'Agostino
Posted in: From the Courts, In this week's e-newsletter, Latest News & Views

The old rule at Michigan State University completely banned guns from campus. The new rule allows permit holders to carry concealed weapons — although there is a catch.

By a 7-1 vote, the school’s board of trustees decided people with permits can carry concealed weapons on campus property. There’s a limit, though: Guns still can’t be brought into campus sports venues or inside campus buildings.

The school says it made the change to smooth a conflict with state law, which generally allows permit holders to carry a weapon but bans weapons from college dorms, classrooms and sports venues.

Right now, only Utah has a law saying students at public schools can take guns to class.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Michigan State to allow concealed weapons, sortof

Post by joe817 »

Very interesting Brian. Thanks for posting! :tiphat:

Maybe this will get the ball rolling for other states to enact similar laws.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BrianSW99 »

I guess every little bit helps. Their new rules are effectively the same as what we already have here in Texas as far as being able to carry on the university property but not in the buildings.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

BrianSW99 wrote:I guess every little bit helps. Their new rules are effectively the same as what we already have here in Texas as far as being able to carry on the university property but not in the buildings.
From a legal standpoint, yes. However, universities in Texas may still adopt policies that ban handguns from all school property. Those who violate the policy could not be convicted under Texas law, but the university could still punish them. A student could be expelled and a professor fired for having a handgun on school ground or in their car. Someone who has no formal relationship to the university would be unaffected.
From what I read, Michigan law is similar to Texas law in that it was already legal to carry at Michigan State, provided that one did not enter any school buildings. The board of trustees has simply changed the school policy to match state law. But, yeah, a win's a win - at least students and profs can now carry to/from campus.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

BrianSW99 wrote:
School allows guns on campus
July 28, 2009 by Tom D'Agostino
Posted in: From the Courts, In this week's e-newsletter, Latest News & Views

Right now, only Utah has a law saying students at public schools can take guns to class.
Every time I see this statement, I think of Harrold ISD. Texas also has a law allowing students to take guns to class, if the school allows it by policy.

Just as Trueflog posted about the school making policies against carry anywhere on campus, they can also make policies allowing it. One of these days, I am going to convince a college to do it. I wonder if anyone has realized how many guns are carried in classrooms by students already, as the number of cops going to school climbs. Wayland Baptist University and Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio both have a large number of working officers in their classes.
Steve Rothstein

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

srothstein wrote:Just as Trueflog posted about the school making policies against carry anywhere on campus, they can also make policies allowing it. One of these days, I am going to convince a college to do it.
Please start with the University of Houston! Last semester there was a student kidnapped at gunpoint in broad daylight from a parking lot, and later robbed. And there have been many other robberies on campus.
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”