Concealed carry debate @ University of Houston

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
optman09
Posts in topic: 1

Concealed carry debate @ University of Houston

Post by optman09 »

I got this e-mail today. I will not be able to go since I am on externship in San Antonio. If any campus needs CC it's U of H.

Good morning fellow Cougars,

The Texas Legislature is considering Texas House Bill 1893 - Carrying on Campus, which would limit the ability of any public university to restrict licensed handgun owners from carrying concealed handguns on any public university campus within the state of Texas.

Such a bill is relevant to all students at the University of Houston because campus safety and security are top priorities. Therefore we must all engage in this debate and your opinion matters.

The SGA Senate will be debating this issue at its next session on Wednesday, April 29, 2009, at 7:00 p.m. in the UC Underground Mediterranean Room.

To read the bill in question as it would appear in the state legislature log on to;

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81 ... 01893I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sincerely,

--
Kenneth Fomunung
President
Student Government Association
University of Houston
ksfomunung@uh.edu
(713) 743-5224

ClarkLZeuss
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Concealed carry debate @ University of Houston

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

Will observers/bystanders be able to make any comments? I'd like to come, but not so much if I can't participate.
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I wonder if they allow Alumni from the downtown campus?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

As far as I know, it was asked of the SGA and they said yes. Any one can come.
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

Something came up at the last minute and I wasn't able to go. Any feedback from those that did?
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

optman09 wrote:Such a bill is relevant to all students at the University of Houston because campus safety and security are top priorities. Therefore we must all engage in this debate and your opinion matters.
So...does this mean they fully support CC on campus? That's what popped into my head when I read this.

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

I did not attend but one of my students who was there said it was voted 11 to 14 against.
The debate lasted from 7 untill 11 PM. Many were for CCC and had a lot of facts to support it where those against did not outside of they didn't like it. :nono:
It looks like even in a liberal University, there is a lot of support.
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman »

Good thing if the law passes their opinions wont mean much. :hurry: As a CHL holder who was just accepted into U of H, I am very excited to hear about this legislation in the Senate. I'll do whatever I can to support it. :woohoo I haven't even started my semester there yet, and I already get the emails from campus police from friends saying things like "be careful, there was a recent incident" :roll: When are they going to wake up and stop forcing their students to be victims? :headscratch
Springfield XD-9 9mm
FEG PA-63 9x18mm
RRA Elite CAR AR-15 5.56mm
Remington 870 Express 12ga.
Marlin Mdl 60 .22
Winchester Mdl 70 Featherweight .30-06

barres

Post by barres »

Wheelman wrote:I haven't even started my semester there yet, and I already get the emails from campus police from friends saying things like "be careful, there was a recent incident" :roll: When are they going to wake up and stop forcing their students to be victims? :headscratch
When they are forced to, probably kicking and screaming.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Just saw this thread here and want to say that the UHCL campus is supporting the Campus Carry effort and the legislation introduced...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

allinhtown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by allinhtown »

so its a nogo for carrying at UH? :( I'm a current student, and I get those emails almost daily... Robbery, sexual assault, etc

allinhtown

Post by allinhtown »

like this one for example:

DATE: July 26, 2009 20:08:16 CST
Document Number: 443
Personal Safety Alert - Aggravated Robbery
Case #09-0832

On Sunday, July 26, 2009 at approximately 2:41 p.m. a student was standing near her Toyota Tundra truck in the parking lot of the Cambridge Oaks apartments. The complainant was approached by two black males. One of the suspects displayed a firearm and took the keys to the complainant’s vehicle. The suspects fled in the complaint’s vehicle. The complainant was not injured. If you have any information regarding this incident please contact UHDPS at 713-743-3333.

Additional Information on this incident can be obtained at https://www.piersystem.com/go/doctype/1093/21522/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

obviously the current laws only stop the good guys from carrying on campuses. =(

psijac

Post by psijac »

i live just south of UH near telephone road. it "feels" somewhat safe there are bums on the corner trying to squeegee your windshield 24 hours a day, Though I've understood UH has a long history of having problems with crime
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

allinhtown

Post by allinhtown »

psijac wrote:i live just south of UH near telephone road. it "feels" somewhat safe there are bums on the corner trying to squeegee your windshield 24 hours a day, Though I've understood UH has a long history of having problems with crime
implied sarcasm? or am I reading too much into it... hehehe

Isimanica

Post by Isimanica »

Funny thing is I constantly get emails about this armed robbery and that armed mugging on or just across the street from the school all the time. The proposal that Mr. Kenneth Fomunung wanted the school to do is fund more money to put up more lights, cameras (action!) and a few more police officers. This should solve everything. Because we know that Criminals are vampires and free the light :roll: I am sorry but that guy is out of touch with reality.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”