Texas Southern University

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Texas Southern University

Post by RPB »

Summary: Someone at a Frat party of about 1,000 people fires into a group of students .

////////////
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local ... 19274.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joshua L. McMackle, a freshman at Texas Southern University from Front Royal, Virginia, died after being shot in the back while standing in a crowd near campus around 1 a.m. Saturday.

Houston police are looking for a gunman who apparently fired 10 times into the group of students.

Police say the gunfire erupted after a fight broke out at a party. McMackle was shot in the back and later died at the hospital. Another student was shot in the ankle and is expecected to be OK.

The party was not a university-sponsored event.

This is the second shooting near the campus of Texas Southern University in a year. Last July eight people were shot and injured in a parking lot.
/end
-----------------
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 63487.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Homicide investigators on Sunday were sifting through anonymous tips and talking to witnesses in hopes of finding the person who fatally shot a TSU student in the back at a huge street party this weekend.
Police do not yet know whether the shooting was random or whether 18-year-old Joshua McMackle of Virginia was the intended target. The suspect reportedly fired 10 times into a crowd around 1 a.m. Saturday in the 3700 block of Wheeler.
McMackle was shot in the back. “He ran down a street and collapsed in a nearby yard,” said Kese Smith, spokesman for the Houston Police Department.

McMackle, who went by the nickname VA, graduated last year from the Randolph Macon Academy, a college-prep military school in Front Royal, Va. He was a lineman on his high school football team and earned a scholarship from the Associates of the American Foreign Service Worldwide to attend TSU.
He died at Memorial Hermann-The Texas Medical Center.
Another victim, whose identity was not released, was shot in the ankle. He has been released from a nearby hospital, police said.
Investigators are sifting through various accounts from witnesses to determine what the argument was about and whether the victims were the intended targets.
“There are a bunch of stories out there and nothing confirmed,” Houston Homicide Sgt. John Parker said.
TSU spokeswoman Eva Pickens said the party was not sanctioned by the university.
While a member of Kappa Alpha Psi is believed to have hosted the party, authorities said it wasn't an official fraternity event.

Gunfire, fights, arrests
Students from the University of Houston and Houston Community College also attended the gathering, which was held after TSU's traditional Spring Fest.
“It just came out of nowhere,” Kappa Alpha Psi member and TSU student Brett McKinley said of the shooting. “I think it was the wrong time, wrong place.”
Clarence Miller, who has lived on Wheeler for decades, said rowdy parties have become the norm. There's been gunfire, fights and arrests in the last year, he said.
“After these parties, the block's a mess — trash, cups, condoms — you name it,” he said. “These parties have just upset the fabric of the whole neighborhood.”
Miller, flanked by two men from the neighborhood who agreed the parties were out of control, said he suspects the house next door to his is an off-the-books fraternity house. He said he has confronted the young men who live there several times about the rowdy gatherings to no avail.
The party attracted about 1,000 people, Miller estimated.
Police are asking anyone with information to call HPD homicide at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

/end
-----------------------------------------

Personal note:
When will the Legislature understand the term "target rich area" (gun free zone)
I'm to old for Frat parties but I'd like to take some college courses since I'm retired and have time to, I only had 32 "A"s and in 5 honor societies when I left college, so I'd like to rack up some more and perhaps some more degrees, but I'm not going anywhere I'm not welcome to defend myself and those around me from people like those..... guess I'll look at online/correspondence schools ...
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Oldgringo

Re: Texas Southern University

Post by Oldgringo »

If Texas Southern is the school I'm thinking of, it's the area ("hood") it's situated in as much as, if not more than, the campus, IMO.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snorri
Posts in topic: 1

Post by snorri »

Doesn't 1000 people in a house violate fire codes or something?

RPB wrote:Clarence Miller, who has lived on Wheeler for decades, said rowdy parties have become the norm. There's been gunfire, fights and arrests in the last year, he said.
“After these parties, the block's a mess — trash, cups, condoms — you name it,” he said. “These parties have just upset the fabric of the whole neighborhood.”
Miller, flanked by two men from the neighborhood who agreed the parties were out of control, said he suspects the house next door to his is an off-the-books fraternity house. He said he has confronted the young men who live there several times about the rowdy gatherings to no avail.
Maybe a neighbor got tired of telling drunk kids to get off his lawn.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

...anybody ever call the police...?

...anybody ever file a complaint...?

...10 shots in the dark...?

...shot in the back...?

...how would legal campus carry have prevented this...?

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Oldgringo wrote:...anybody ever call the police...?

...anybody ever file a complaint...?

...10 shots in the dark...?

...shot in the back...?

...how would legal campus carry have prevented this...?
True, I probably should have posted this under a different section because it was "off campus," though News media all over is relating it to campus because it was "near" campus and because of last July's on campus shooting at that school.
It's just a school in a neighborhood I would not attend unarmed.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”