HB750 has not been turned into House Calendars Yet

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TracerTong
Posts in topic: 1

HB750 has not been turned into House Calendars Yet

Post by TracerTong »

Hey guys,

I just called the House Calendars Committee office today to register my opinion that they send HB 750 for a floor vote.

The Clerk from the House Committee on Homeland Security has not even turned in the papers to the Calendars Committee yet.

Edit to add: Just off the phone with Homeland Security committee. They are reviewing witness affirmation forms and should be done today or tomorrow.

Keith B

Re: HB750 has not been turned into House Calendars Yet

Post by Keith B »

As a note, while the majority of the members of the Calenders Committee were co-authors on HB 750 and HB 681, committee member Rep. Rodriguez is a staunch opponent to both the Campus Carry and Parking Lot bills. Here is a video clip of him debating Sen. Wentworth (author of SB 354) on CNN. http://www.texastribune.org/texas-dept- ... ry-on-cnn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bottom line, I believe there are an additional 1-2 opponents in Calenders out of the 15 total members that may be against the bills.

Even with the majority of alleged support, we need to continue contacting ALL of the Calender Committee members. When you do, respectfully ask them to help vote the bills out of committee ASAP so all of the House members have the opportunity to hear the debate and vote to show their true colors on our 2A rights. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BrianSW99 »

And in Calendars, all it takes is 1-2 opponents to keep the bill from ever coming to a vote on the House floor, which is what happened in the last session.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Just got the email alert on HB750 that "3/31/2011 H Comte report filed with Committee Coordinator."
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

CJD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CJD »

hirundo82 wrote:Just got the email alert on HB750 that "3/31/2011 H Comte report filed with Committee Coordinator."

What does that mean? I couldn't find a definition.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

From here:
In the house, all committee reports are referred to the committee coordinator, who forwards them to the printer. After being printed, a copy of the house committee report printing is placed in the post office box of each member of the house. The chief clerk then delivers a certified copy of the committee report to the appropriate calendars committee (the Committee on Calendars or the Committee on Local and Consent Calendars) for placement of the bill on a calendar for consideration by the full house. Calendars committees are given wide discretion in scheduling bills for floor consideration.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

CJD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CJD »

hirundo82 wrote:From here:
In the house, all committee reports are referred to the committee coordinator, who forwards them to the printer. After being printed, a copy of the house committee report printing is placed in the post office box of each member of the house. The chief clerk then delivers a certified copy of the committee report to the appropriate calendars committee (the Committee on Calendars or the Committee on Local and Consent Calendars) for placement of the bill on a calendar for consideration by the full house. Calendars committees are given wide discretion in scheduling bills for floor consideration.
Thanks

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

They may be trying to stall. Or they may want to get the "uncontroversial" bills out of the way first.

May 12 is the last day for considering bills. So we need to light a fire under them, starting tomorrow.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I phoned the Calendars committee members on Friday. I also emailed them all this morning:

Dear Rep. X. I am a professor and live in College Station. I strongly support HB 750 as a personal insurance/anti-crime law. It is indeed a measure involving personal risk, personal security, and personal liability. As such, you and I should have the choice about whether to get a CHL and carry concealed. I should have the choice, not university administration. The restriction on concealed carry in campus buildings has implications that reach far off campus. It affects me if I want to hike, bike, or ride the bus to campus (i.e., it effectively disarms CHLs en route). It affects me when I drive to campus by legally requiring me to leave my firearm in my car -- much more subject to theft than if it were on my person. The campus restriction effectively forces me to be disarmed when I drive across Texas to conduct educational programs for Texas AgriLife Extension Service. I respectfully ask that you let this proposal have consideration by the full House.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

J.R.@A&M wrote:I phoned the Calendars committee members on Friday. I also emailed them all this morning:

Dear Rep. X. I am a professor and live in College Station. I strongly support HB 750 as a personal insurance/anti-crime law. It is indeed a measure involving personal risk, personal security, and personal liability. As such, you and I should have the choice about whether to get a CHL and carry concealed. I should have the choice, not university administration. The restriction on concealed carry in campus buildings has implications that reach far off campus. It affects me if I want to hike, bike, or ride the bus to campus (i.e., it effectively disarms CHLs en route). It affects me when I drive to campus by legally requiring me to leave my firearm in my car -- much more subject to theft than if it were on my person. The campus restriction effectively forces me to be disarmed when I drive across Texas to conduct educational programs for Texas AgriLife Extension Service. I respectfully ask that you let this proposal have consideration by the full House.
Excellent, especially coming from a professor to counter the garbage those from UT offered during the hearing.

Chas.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:I phoned the Calendars committee members on Friday. I also emailed them all this morning:

Excellent, especially coming from a professor to counter the garbage those from UT offered during the hearing.

Chas.
:thumbs2: :iagree:

Where were you during the hearings? :totap: Would have loved to have heard from you.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Jasonw560 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Where were you during the hearings? :totap: Would have loved to have heard from you.
I'd guess he probably couldn't skip class.
NRA lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jasonw560 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

He was probably "held up" by his students.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Jasonw560 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Unfortunately (on several levels) I was having my annual evaluation with the Department Head.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”