Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Campus-Carry Bills are dying!!!

Post by TexasComputerDude »

We need a new list of people to call. Its never to early to start calling.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Aggie_engr »

I can almost taste it... :drool:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexasComputerDude wrote:We need a new list of people to call. Its never to early to start calling.
At this point, I would just call your own Representative and ask them to vote for HB1893. Since we got it to the floor, constituent calls are what matter. Check to see if they are a co-author and if so, thank them for their support. It wouldn't hurt to mention that you'll be watching the debate on the Internet.

Chas.

Douva
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Douva »

Russell wrote:What time is the debate, and what is the address to watch it?
The debate will be sometime between 10 AM and whenever the House adjourns for the day.

The link to the live video stream can be found here: http://www.house.state.tx.us/media/welcome.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like our opponents will be there lobbying until the last minute:

http://aichaqandisha.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ality.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunday, May 10, 2009

Guns in Our Schools Coser to Reality

House bill 1893, which would allow concealed handgun licensees (CHL) to carry concealed guns into classrooms and buildings at our state's colleges and universities, will go to a vote Monday in the Texas House of Representatives. If it passes there it will go to the Senate for a vote and then on to Governor Perry, who has vowed to sign it into law.

If you care, please come down on Monday and make your voice heard. We'll be going door to door educating House members about issues not considered under this sweeping legislation. What about the elementary school on our campus (and undoubtedly others)? What about the child care facility in my department's building? What about chemical labs, where you are not even allowed to bring your mobile phone for fear of causing a spark? There is a bar on our campus, will the existing ban on concealed weapons in a bar apply or not? What about the dorms? How will a resident in a dorm store their gun? Will visitors be allowed to keep their gun on them or have to turn it in at the desk? Will residence hall advisers, students who live in the dorm and oversee students, be trained on how to deal with gun issues?

We'll also be sitting in on the House session in the gallery, wearing our school colors, to hopefully remind the Reps. that it will be students, and the currently-gagged faculty and staff, who will be affected by this bill. If you are studying for finals, come study in the gallery with us. Please come down to the Capitol and join us!

This is bad policy at its worst.
Call your Representatives - find their contact info at the Texas Leg website - and let them know that guns do not belong in our schools. Tell them NO on HB 1893.

Salaam.

sss
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sss »

Douva wrote:It looks like our opponents will be there lobbying until the last minute:

http://aichaqandisha.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ality.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's fine by me, since we'll also be making calls and raising awareness in any way possible, until the last minute.
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

txmatt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txmatt »

I like how those people claim to be going to the legislature to "educate" reps, while they clearly haven't read the bill and have no understanding of what it does and does not do.

hheremtp
Posts in topic: 8

Post by hheremtp »

There is a bar on our campus, will the existing ban on concealed weapons in a bar apply or not?
If they would take the time to read the existing statutes they would know that if the "bar" on the campus derives 51% or more of it's sales from alcohol, CCing would not be allowed!
Steve

FlynJay
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FlynJay »

Thankfully my rep is already a co-author. I will be calling him anyway to thank him for his continued support.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

RLC603
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RLC603 »

Made the calls to my Rep this morinng. Working my way through the Senate Comm call list now.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The House is scheduled to convene at 10:00am today. I have no idea when HB1893 will be debated/voted. It's a very long calendar today.
Here is a link to the video feed. Just click on "Live House Chamber Feed" but don't bother doing so before 10:00am. http://www.house.state.tx.us/media/welcome.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The House is scheduled to convene at 10:00am today. I have no idea when HB1893 will be debated/voted. It's a very long calendar today.
Here is a link to the video feed. Just click on "Live House Chamber Feed" but don't bother doing so before 10:00am. http://www.house.state.tx.us/media/welcome.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chas.
I have some additional information. HB1893 is on page 23 of a 25 page calendar and I have no idea how late they will work today, before adjourning and going to committee meetings. If it isn't reached today, it will carry over until tomorrow. It doesn't help that the House hasn't even started floor debates and it's already 10:39. (Perhaps it has, but the video feed isn't working, but I doubt that.)

Chas.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

Russell wrote:Ugh, realplayer. Real Networks must have donated to somebodies re-election campaign ;-)
I recommend using Real Alternative.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks for the update. Looks like it' could be a long one ....
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”