Dan Patrick

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rgoldy
Posts in topic: 2

Dan Patrick

Post by rgoldy »

I do not pretend to have all the information or that all I have is absolutely correct. That admitted, I have questions about the legislation that has apparently passed under sponsorship of Dan Patrick that would significantly broaden the number of state officials who can carry weapons, and where they can carry irrespective of 30.06 postings. If he thought this was so important that it had to be addressed in this session where campus carry and parking lot carry were bound to be contentious issues, why does it not extend to ordinary citizens as well? What is it about legislators that makes them and their lives more valuable (need for protection and self defense) than the rest of us? What state officials non-elected or elected, need to carry weapons that are not already doing so? Will they and the legislators who will now be authorized to carry weapons be required to have the same sort of training (TCELOSE) and background checks that law enforcement personnel have? Will they at least have to have the same sort of scrutiny that CHL carriers have?
Just kinda annoys me that once again, legislators and others are set apart as a separate, superior class of citizen from the rest of us.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dan Patrick

Post by Pawpaw »

You might want to read this thread.

Pay particular attention to Charles' posts. This bill will turn out to be good for all of us.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

I just know from knowing a minor (read: local) politician, they're in the public eye, so there are a few more crazies who know they exist. And they worry.

I'm not saying it's right, it's just how it is.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Also, sometimes a magician waves his right hand wildly in the air ... and no one notices what the left hand is doing ...
Sometimes there might be more "goin on" than is real apparent on the surface.
just sayin'
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

RPB wrote:Also, sometimes a magician waves his right hand wildly in the air ... and no one notices what the left hand is doing ...
just sayin'
This is true. I was just stating from what I know.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Topic author
rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

Yup, after I posted I found the place it should have gone. I see the point in what Charles and others have said, but to me the operative word is "could". Many things fall into the category of "could". Some of them are good, some are not. That applies here as well. What I am angry about is the further separation of this restricted access group from the rest of the population. I had thought better of Dan Patrick. One of the responders made mention of using this as a bludgeon to get the legislature to extend the same rights to everyone. Possible I suppose, but experience says that once these folks have satisfied their own needs, there is vanishingly little pressure to make further progress on any subject.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

gemini
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gemini »

RPB wrote:Also, sometimes a magician waves his right hand wildly in the air ... and no one notices what the left hand is doing ...
just sayin'
I kind of thought that too......... but then I remember how our elected Federal legislators excluded themselves from Obamacare, from
Social Security, from sexual harrassment laws and a few other things...... still waiting to find out what that "left hand" is doing ......
never mind, I know, I've had a complete physical before........ :roll:
Let's hope this time the state legislators are about to throw magic glitter into the air with that "left hand".....

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

Also, sometimes a magician waves his right hand wildly in the air ... and no one notices what the left hand is doing ...
Well if we're talking politicians here he's slipping his other hand into your back pocket. :lol:
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

EHS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by EHS »

LOL !!!!! It is proven again that the elite's life is worth way more than the common person. If I want to take my family to an Astros game I am supposed to walk my family out to the car in the interesting hoods unarmed. But the elite is allowed to defend themselves. :mad5 I am not saying Dan Patrick is all bad, (in fact in general agree with his views) but this issue helps prove you can not trust a politian as far as you can throw them. Talk is cheap. And as for "it may help out some time", I have heard that before. It sounds like what the politicians said about ObamaCare. :txflag:
READ THE AVATAR

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

EHS wrote:LOL !!!!! It is proven again that the elite's life is worth way more than the common person. If I want to take my family to an Astros game I am supposed to walk my family out to the car in the interesting hoods unarmed. But the elite is allowed to defend themselves.
To paraphrase a popular saying, insanity is voting for the same politicians and expecting different results.
EHS wrote:Talk is cheap. And as for "it may help out some time", I have heard that before. It sounds like what the politicians said about ObamaCare. :txflag:
I hear from older guys that's also the bull they fed us to gather support for LEOSA. They said it would be expanded to include CHLers too. I hope nobody was holding their breath waiting for the quid pro quo.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

gemini

Post by gemini »

Guys, Dan Patrick was not the ONLY one voting themselves the "elite person" usage of SB905. Some of the anti Dems voted for it too.

That said, If I was in Dan Patrick's district, I would continue to vote and support him. He has helped us (CHLers) tremendously.

In fact years ago, when I first got my CHL, the delivery times were very, very long. I called Dan Patrick's office, his staff helped me
connect with people that were able to expedite the process. I was traveling that summer with my youngest son to select baseball tourneys
in states throughout the south. There were no problems encountered on our trips, but I felt much more secure knowing I was legal to carry
in those other states as well as our own. I appreciated that help then. Dan Patrick is our friend.

EHS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by EHS »

gemini wrote:Guys, Dan Patrick was not the ONLY one voting themselves the "elite person" usage of SB905. Some of the anti Dems voted for it too.

That said, If I was in Dan Patrick's district, I would continue to vote and support him. He has helped us (CHLers) tremendously.

In fact years ago, when I first got my CHL, the delivery times were very, very long. I called Dan Patrick's office, his staff helped me
connect with people that were able to expedite the process. I was traveling that summer with my youngest son to select baseball tourneys
in states throughout the south. There were no problems encountered on our trips, but I felt much more secure knowing I was legal to carry
in those other states as well as our own. I appreciated that help then. Dan Patrick is our friend.

I am not worried about the dems and how they vote. I know who they are looking out for and it is not me. I am also glad that you believe he helped you out. But he is not helping me out by Heading up a bill that allows Dan Patrick to protect himself but I would be a criminal if I were to do the same thing. I am disappointed with the elitest attitude of this bill. I guess my family and my life are not as vauable as the elite ELECTED. Just because he says he is a consevative does not mean I have to beleive everything he says and does. That is the reason this country is in the shape it is in now.
READ THE AVATAR

gemini

Post by gemini »

EHS wrote:
gemini wrote:Guys, Dan Patrick was not the ONLY one voting themselves the "elite person" usage of SB905. Some of the anti Dems voted for it too.

I am not worried about the dems and how they vote. I know who they are looking out for and it is not me. I am also glad that you believe he helped you out. But he is not helping me out by Heading up a bill that allows Dan Patrick to protect himself but I would be a criminal if I were to do the same thing. I am disappointed with the elitest attitude of this bill. I guess my family and my life are not as vauable as the elite ELECTED. Just because he says he is a consevative does not mean I have to beleive everything he says and does. That is the reason this country is in the shape it is in now.
Sir, if you think for one minute I agree with the "elitist mentality" our legislators used in passing SB905 you have made a grave error in judgement.
However, I'm not prone to throwing the baby out with the bathwater and I wouldn't throw Dan Patrick under the bus for this faux pas against the CHL community. YMMV

philip964

Post by philip964 »

When I read about it, I immediately thought it was a back door way for ordinary CHL's to begin to see the same freedoms.

Once it is passed and lets say four years go by with no incidents of Texas Legislators shooting innocent civilians, it becomes an easier task for the same freedoms to be granted to us. Then the argument can be also the one you have pointed out why should Texas legislators be treated differently. Makes it real easy for it to slide through.

Normally these tactics are used to get things like income tax passed, nice to see it being used for good things for once.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

rgoldy wrote:Yup, after I posted I found the place it should have gone. I see the point in what Charles and others have said, but to me the operative word is "could". Many things fall into the category of "could". Some of them are good, some are not. That applies here as well. What I am angry about is the further separation of this restricted access group from the rest of the population. I had thought better of Dan Patrick. One of the responders made mention of using this as a bludgeon to get the legislature to extend the same rights to everyone. Possible I suppose, but experience says that once these folks have satisfied their own needs, there is vanishingly little pressure to make further progress on any subject.
Bingo!!!

I think Charles Cotton knows that I trust his judgement and foresight into the possibilities of this legislative event... :tiphat:

But, I would be remise if I didn't state my doubts about the pressure and progress to drive this idea, somehow "down" to the rest of us common-folk...Yes, that was sarcasm in its purest form...

I would have counseled Senator Patrick to NOT press a bill like this thru the system...It reeks of elitism and it so insults the very nature of those of us who have championed the Texas CHL program from its inception...Some, I am sure would not feel the same way I do, and that's ok...As I implied in the other discussion thread, I am appalled at the support given to this bill from people I thought would have gone thermonuclear at the very mention of the idea...

If they know something we do not know, then tell us...If I knew the POLITICAL details of how this should play out in our favor, I have a proven track record of keeping that POLITICAL manuevering quiet and to myself...

I'm just mad at myself for not hearing or seeing this SB905 thing coming down the freeway with lights and sirens on...My sources kept quiet about this and we all didn't get a whiff of this before it was too late...Maybe I am not as plugged in as I thought, and that kinda upsets me...But only for a short while...See, I'm over it...

Since it appears that this could (only) possibly lead to (wait for it, I'm baiting the hook :thumbs2: :tiphat: ) "Constitutional Carry" in Texas...Then why not gather the troops in our community and get the support now...Might as well pull that trigger now, and not wait till the next Legislative session...

Because the way I see things going in this country, we need to re-secure as many unalienable rights as possible between now and then...The makeup of the Texas Legislature WILL change as a result of this session...And the margin between true "principled" conservative representation, might be further diluted by the time we see another git-together in 2013...

Just my opinion...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”