The Largest-Ever Survey of American Gun Owners Finds That Defensive Use of Firearms Is Common

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

The Largest-Ever Survey of American Gun Owners Finds That Defensive Use of Firearms Is Common

Post by Paladin »

The largest and most comprehensive survey of American gun owners ever conducted suggests that they use firearms in self-defense about 1.7 million times a year.
The survey results indicate that Americans own some 415 million firearms, including 171 million handguns, 146 million rifles, and 98 million shotguns. About 30 percent of respondents reported that they had ever owned AR-15s or similar rifles
Nearly half of the respondents (48 percent) said they had ever owned magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds...The survey suggests that up to 44 million AR-15-style rifles and up to 542 million magazines with capacities exceeding 10 rounds are already in circulation.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

puma guy

Re: The Largest-Ever Survey of American Gun Owners Finds That Defensive Use of Firearms Is Common

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:07 am The Largest-Ever Survey of American Gun Owners Finds That Defensive Use of Firearms Is Common
The largest and most comprehensive survey of American gun owners ever conducted suggests that they use firearms in self-defense about 1.7 million times a year.
The survey results indicate that Americans own some 415 million firearms, including 171 million handguns, 146 million rifles, and 98 million shotguns. About 30 percent of respondents reported that they had ever owned AR-15s or similar rifles
Nearly half of the respondents (48 percent) said they had ever owned magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds...The survey suggests that up to 44 million AR-15-style rifles and up to 542 million magazines with capacities exceeding 10 rounds are already in circulation.
I posted some facts in a reply to a question on Quora one of which was firearms were used 4,500 times daily to thwart a crime, often without being fired. I couldn't remember the source, but it appears it's even more often than the number I quoted at 4,657.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Re: The Largest-Ever Survey of American Gun Owners Finds That Defensive Use of Firearms Is Common

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The survey suggests that up to 44 million AR-15-style rifles and up to 542 million magazines with capacities exceeding 10 rounds are already in circulation.
This is more consistent with an other study I’d read several years ago. The more recent number I’ve seen quoted is something like 10-15 million ARs, but that has always seemed low to me.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”