Law Enforcement having CHL's

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Law Enforcement having CHL's

Post by srothstein »

In addition to the points already mentioned, you might consider having the LEO go through the class with their spouse/relative/significant other. Then the benefit is knowing exactly what was taught and being there for the other getting their license.

So, to me the benefits as shown discussed are:

1. No NICS check
2. Can carry in other states/off-duty without having to identify as peace officer (tactical advantage possibly).
3. depending on department, can carry if suspended (actually, this would be department rules, law still says you are a peace officer).
4. Can carry when no longer an LEO or between jobs
5. Class might be an advantage if Chief won't send letter or you don't want the department to know.
6. Can go with a friend/spouse/relative and help them.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 8

Post by wgoforth »

srothstein wrote:In addition to the points already mentioned, you might consider having the LEO go through the class with their spouse/relative/significant other. Then the benefit is knowing exactly what was taught and being there for the other getting their license.

So, to me the benefits as shown discussed are:

1. No NICS check
2. Can carry in other states/off-duty without having to identify as peace officer (tactical advantage possibly).
3. depending on department, can carry if suspended (actually, this would be department rules, law still says you are a peace officer).
4. Can carry when no longer an LEO or between jobs
5. Class might be an advantage if Chief won't send letter or you don't want the department to know.
6. Can go with a friend/spouse/relative and help them.
:thumbs2:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bullwhip
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bullwhip »

All the cops I know who have a CHL say it's in case they get suspended and the federal LEOSA wouldn't protect them. Cheap insurance.

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Allows off duty carry or other then department apporoved makes and models when department restricts leo to a list of authorized firearms and/or calibers

allows officers not on duty to carry firearms they have not qualified on.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gigag04 »

srothstein wrote: 5. Class might be an advantage if Chief won't send letter or you don't want the department to know.
As I read the GC code snipped I posted earlier in the thread, this is not an option for CLEOs right?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I had a constable, not deputy the main man himself, take a CHL class. He took it for two reasons. 1. His girlfriend wouldn't take the class unless he took it with her. 2. He wanted to buy guns without the hassle of NICS. I enjoyed having him in the class because he answered some questions about LE procedure that came up.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

It might be worthwhile for your business to offer a discount for LEO family members.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

mlawler wrote:It might be worthwhile for your business to offer a discount for LEO family members.
Yessir... I does! 15%
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

gigag04 wrote:
srothstein wrote: 5. Class might be an advantage if Chief won't send letter or you don't want the department to know.
As I read the GC code snipped I posted earlier in the thread, this is not an option for CLEOs right?
Technically, he must send the note, but there is no penalty if he violates the law and refuses. He can also send the note and refuse to say he recommends the license or that he feels you are physically or mentally qualified (the last would certainly raise questions about your continued employment).
Steve Rothstein

rjr5545

Post by rjr5545 »

We have been doing free CHL's for local law enforcement for years at CHL Now, along with lower class prices for the families. We will even make special arrangements if they want to get the church group or such they are part of together, we have even traveled to Texas City to do one of these classes. Don't forget your local fire departments either, another large group of persons that a discount can go a long ways to creating a lot on referrals, this has created a lot of business from the LEO community. You can't go wrong by doing it, some of the best cheap advertising you'll ever do.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

rjr5545 wrote:We have been doing free CHL's for local law enforcement for years at CHL Now, along with lower class prices for the families. We will even make special arrangements if they want to get the church group or such they are part of together, we have even traveled to Texas City to do one of these classes. Don't forget your local fire departments either, another large group of persons that a discount can go a long ways to creating a lot on referrals, this has created a lot of business from the LEO community. You can't go wrong by doing it, some of the best cheap advertising you'll ever do.
Great info, thanks! :patriot:
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”