Moving to Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
FormerTSgt
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Moving to Texas

Post by FormerTSgt »

Oh, I am absolutely going to go through the process and get the Texas CHL. I just want to be sure I am covered until then which is where the other permits come in and I will certainly familiarize myself with the laws of the land.
Former TSgt USAF Security Forces
Iraq Vet

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

FormerTSgt wrote:Thanks! I gave that a quick scan and will read it in depth tomorrow.

Oh and may I also ask what the general turnaround time is after you've done all the required tasks and submitted your paperwork? Weeks? Months?
I got my first renewal not too long ago, and it took about 60 days, roughly.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

OldCannon wrote:Take the time to understand some of the benefits of having a Texas CHL in the process. There are some situations where a Texas CHL covers you in places that an out-of-state CHL doesn't (IIRC, picking up your child from school is one of them, but those with more grasp of the Texas Penal code can clarify). In addition, a Texas CHL will simplify firearms purchases by making a background check optional when purchasing firearms (some big box stores run background checks regardless of CHL status).
^^This
Texas CHLs can carry within a gun free school zone (on the campus itself is another issue), but consider all the times you pass in and out a school zone if running errands. My understanding is the MPA (extending carry to your vehicle) doesn't afford the same protections.

Plus, as OldCannon pointed out, you get to skip the NCIS when purchasing. OldCannon outta know... he's a FFL -- and in the Austin area, so you may want to use his services after you arrive.

Yes, Austin's liberal, but it's one of my favorite places. Lived in Austin for sixteen years before my recent move. Enjoy Austin and enjoy Texas! After a short while, you'll get to wondering why did it take you so long to move to Texas.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

FormerTSgt wrote:
LabRat wrote:Hey FormerTSgt, give the Texas DPS a call before you take any classes.

A guy and his wife, that I bowl with, have Florida resident licenses that don't expire till 2015 or something like that.

He called DPS and they said no need to change the license or take the Texas Class till their Florida license was about to expire.

Not sure when yours expires from Georgia and not sure if the same conditions apply to you, but a call to DPS might give you some better information on what you need to take.

Hopefully, you'll be able to cruise on your GA license till a renewal is required.

Just a suggestion.

LabRat
Excellent suggestion! My GA permit expires in 2017 so I'll make that call and find out. Thanks!
If they are in truth FL residents...then NBD.

If they are Texas residents then that is an issue.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
FormerTSgt

Post by FormerTSgt »

Why is it an issue? Is a non-resident Florida permit not accepted in Texas? I know for a fact Florida (and Arizona) will issue non-resident permits to residents of Texas. I was under the impression Texas honored the non-resident Florida permit issued by Florida to Texas residents because Florida has a training requirement. Same with the Arizona non-resident permit.

I am honestly asking and not being snarky.
Iraq Vet

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

FormerTSgt wrote:Why is it an issue? Is a non-resident Florida permit not accepted in Texas? I know for a fact Florida (and Arizona) will issue non-resident permits to residents of Texas. I was under the impression Texas honored the non-resident Florida permit issued by Florida to Texas residents because Florida has a training requirement. Same with the Arizona non-resident permit.

Unless your GA license will be revoked when you become a non-resident, then I would simply continue to carry on your GA license until you get your TX license.

If your GA license will be revoked when you are no longer a resident, then you have two choices.

First, if you are going to make a trip to Texas before actually moving here, then take the training during the trip and apply for a Texas non-resident license. Then all you have to do is change your address when you get here and have a new address.

If you are not going to make an advance trip here, then get either the FL or AZ license. They will still be valid here in Texas until they expire, even when you are a Texas resident. Gigag04 may think it is an issue in terms of what someone should do, but it certainly is not an issue regarding the legalities -- they remain perfectly valid choices, unless or until there are any statute changes to the contrary.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

JackBurch

Post by JackBurch »

Sgt,

First thank you and your family for your service.

Your GA license is good in Texas so my only suggestion is to go monitor a class to get the rules here in Texas. If you cannot find an instructor in the Austin area that will do that for free please PM me and I will give you the info to come to one of my classes for free. Short drive to Kerrville.
Jack Burch

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gringo pistolero »

LabRat wrote:Hey FormerTSgt, give the Texas DPS a call before you take any classes.

A guy and his wife, that I bowl with, have Florida resident licenses that don't expire till 2015 or something like that.

He called DPS and they said no need to change the license or take the Texas Class till their Florida license was about to expire.
If they do that, they might as well renew the Florida license and put off getting a Texas license, for as long as they can do the cheaper and easier option. In addition, they get to avoid being put on the list of likely gun thieves and having their guns serial numbers run just because they have a CHL.

Just a suggestion.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

gringo pistolero wrote:If they do that, they might as well renew the Florida license and put off getting a Texas license, for as long as they can do the cheaper and easier option. In addition, they get to avoid being put on the list of likely gun thieves and having their guns serial numbers run just because they have a CHL.

Just a suggestion.
could be, but remember that ONLY with a Texas CHL are you able to be in school zone with your weapon (not in the buildings, but within the 1000 or 2000 feet limit, and also on the parking area and on the exterior grounds.

With a FL (or any other) CHL, you do not get that exemption
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

If they're willing to do it for a year or two, why not save even more time and money by doing it for 10 years?
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Topic author
FormerTSgt

Post by FormerTSgt »

From what I understand of the laws they are legally allowed to do exactly that. If they get a FL permit (or AZ for that matter) and they are TX residents, then they are legal to carry concealed in TX. There is the school thing to consider but I am unmarried and have no kids so for now, until I get through all the Texas stuff, I will carry on my GA permit and perhaps get an AZ (takes two weeks) just for the extra states covered by it.
Iraq Vet

Topic author
FormerTSgt

Post by FormerTSgt »

JackBurch wrote:Sgt,

First thank you and your family for your service.

Your GA license is good in Texas so my only suggestion is to go monitor a class to get the rules here in Texas. If you cannot find an instructor in the Austin area that will do that for free please PM me and I will give you the info to come to one of my classes for free. Short drive to Kerrville.
Thanks very much. I will do exactly that. Also it turns out that even though I am moving out of state, my GA license remains valid until the expiration date.
Iraq Vet

mikedude

Post by mikedude »

You can apply right away, as an out of state resident. You won't be a TX resident for 6 months?

I thought I was moving to TEXAS, but found that living in the Austin area is like living in Berkeley CA..... :clapping:

Learn to drive the speed limit as they work massive amounts of radar.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

FormerTSgt wrote:Why is it an issue? Is a non-resident Florida permit not accepted in Texas? I know for a fact Florida (and Arizona) will issue non-resident permits to residents of Texas. I was under the impression Texas honored the non-resident Florida permit issued by Florida to Texas residents because Florida has a training requirement. Same with the Arizona non-resident permit.

There are 3 main reasons why I finally stopped carrying on my FL license and got my TX license.
1. Some states (Colorado was the one that made me switch) do not honor non-resident permits. Colorado will honor a Florida resident permit, but not a Florida non-resident permit issued to a Texas resident, for example.

2. I was tired of worrying about violating Federal GFSZ laws. As others have mentioned, it's a violation of Federal law to travel with your gun in your car THROUGH a 1,000 foot perimeter around a school. Thank about how many times a day you do this. MANY, I'd bet. An exception exists for school zones within a state where you have a license to carry. The license MUST have been issued by that state. My FL non-resident license exempted me from this particular Federal law only for Florida school zones. IMO, this is a huge problem with Federal GFSZ law that needs fixing.

3. Convenience when purchasing firearms. Purchasing firearms in TX while having a TX CHL allows the FFL to skip the NICS check. This is a very minor thing and would not, by itself, have been nearly enough for me to switch.

The cost and class time requirements for a TX license are way too much, IMO. That was the sole reason for my delay in obtaining a TX license. In 2013 there will be legislation proposed to fix this. Hopefully it passes.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”