AR-15 Sniper vs CQB builds - Your suggestions

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Re: AR-15 Sniper vs CQB builds - Your suggestions

Post by C-dub »

Syntyr wrote:
snatchel wrote:Hey bud. You might find this useful....

MK12 Mod0/1 Thread: This is basically a collection of "reach out & touch ya" pictures/builds on AR15.com--
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/520524_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M4 Thread: This is a collection of your typical modern M4 type high-speed rigs--
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/5416 ... hread.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/

Oh you had to give me those links... 500+ pages of options :smilelol5:
:iagree: It can make your head :blowup . I haven't gotten to the point where I want to build my own yet. When I finally made the decision to get an EBR last year all the possibilities started making my head hurt and ended up finding a decent, already put together, off the shelf rifle.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
C-dub wrote:I guess my memory is worse than I thought. I don't remember shooting any AR's that day. What length is your barrel?
I thought I shot your M1 and you shot my AR. Maybe I was dreaming about guns... again.

It's a 16-incher.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
C-dub wrote:I guess my memory is worse than I thought. I don't remember shooting any AR's that day. What length is your barrel?
I thought I shot your M1 and you shot my AR. Maybe I was dreaming about guns... again.

It's a 16-incher.
I shot your Mosin with that really nice butt pad. I don't think I shot any ARs that day.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Syntyr
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Syntyr »

baldeagle wrote: I was thinking about a 300 Blackout upper for hog hunting, but the prices of that ammo are sky high right now. $2.75 a round! You can buy uppers in several different calibers.
Where I REALLY want to go is .338 LM but at 2500+ for the rifle and $6+ per round my wallett would kill me! Oh I just need money :banghead:
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:I shot your Mosin with that really nice butt pad. I don't think I shot any ARs that day.
The Mosin wasn't mine, but I wish it was. ;-) My AR was on the same table. It had the ACOG with a yellow dot sight on top.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MadMonkey »

If you really want a compact AR, you could just build a pistol. Mine has a 7.5" barrel and is a ton of fun... it's my new car gun :cool:

For longer range I really like the SPR-type rifles. Closest thing I have to that is a 20" with an ACOG, but I'm considering building an 18" for the ACOG and putting a higher magnification scope on the 20".
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Syntyr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:So, I can think of several ways to go........
  1. First idea:
    1. lightweight carbine with M4 profile and MOE furniture, flat top upper, with AimPoint Micro H1
    2. flat top upper, good variable power mil-dot scope in the 4.5-14x range, VLTOR E-Mod stock, quad rail, 20" HBAR chambered in 6.8 SPC (will mate to AR15 lower)
Hmmm now theres an idea... I have never thought about 6.8 or 300 Blackout. Have you shot 6.8? I know ammo is all around hard to come by but do you know if 6.8 is any worse than everything else in order to get?

I like those ideas! Thanks TAM
I haven't shot the 6.8, but I know that it is supposed to bridge the ballistic gap between 5.56 and 7.62 NATO, and it easily outperforms the 7.62.x39 AK cartridge. It is good out to around 500 meters, and in a hunting application can be used to take coyotes, hogs, deer, black bear, caribou, and small to medium-sized elk.

The .300 blackout is certainly usable against all those animals, but doesn't have nearly the legs of the 6.8 SPC, performing best under 300 yards.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:So, I can think of several ways to go........
  1. First idea:
    1. lightweight carbine with M4 profile and MOE furniture, flat top upper, with AimPoint Micro H1
    2. flat top upper, good variable power mil-dot scope in the 4.5-14x range, VLTOR E-Mod stock, quad rail, 20" HBAR chambered in 6.8 SPC (will mate to AR15 lower)
Hmmm now theres an idea... I have never thought about 6.8 or 300 Blackout. Have you shot 6.8? I know ammo is all around hard to come by but do you know if 6.8 is any worse than everything else in order to get?

I like those ideas! Thanks TAM
I haven't shot the 6.8, but I know that it is supposed to bridge the ballistic gap between 5.56 and 7.62 NATO, and it easily outperforms the 7.62.x39 AK cartridge. It is good out to around 500 meters, and in a hunting application can be used to take coyotes, hogs, deer, black bear, caribou, and small to medium-sized elk.

The .300 blackout is certainly usable against all those animals, but doesn't have nearly the legs of the 6.8 SPC, performing best under 300 yards.
.300 blk was designed from the ground up to pack a suppressed punch IMO. I think that is the main point of destinction with its creation.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

The Annoyed Man

gigag04 wrote:.300 blk was designed from the ground up to pack a suppressed punch IMO. I think that is the main point of destinction with its creation.
Exactly. I believe the original design parameters were to throw a heavy bullet at subsonic speeds, and that lighter supersonic bullets were added afterwards. But the cartridge's design limits case capacity, which was originally not a concern because subsonic was the goal. Here's a picture of a heavy bullet .300 ACC Blackout cartridge next to a 62 grain M855 ball round in 5.56:

So when you're talking about throwing a ligher bullet, it still doesn't have the case capacity to propel it far at higher velocities, hence its limited effective range. Not to knock it, as I think it is probably a decent cartridge for most hunting applications in Texas, but it is not a long range cartridge, if that matters to anybody.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

First off, "sniper rifle" is a misnomer - the rifle itself is a precision rifle. The sniper is the one who spent the thousands of hours learning trade craft so he can survive to take the shot, and then get out alive. My two cents......

If you are just starting out with the AR-15 platform, almost anything will suit your needs. I think everyone should start off shooting irons, so find a good deal on an M4-style upper and learn how to shoot it and care for it.

Something to keep in mind for barrels, is twist rate. Higher twist rate will stabilize heavier projectiles more reliably. If you are ok shooting 55-62gr, 1 in 9 is usually fine. Some 1in9 twists shoot up to 69gr reliably. 1in7 twists will typically shoot from 55gr up to 77gr bullets reliably, however even then there is variance. Each barrel is difference, but those are rough figures. Lighter bullets are fine for up to 300yds most of the time, to push that out to 600yds 75-77gr projectiles would be needed.

Optics come later. Red dots are a Ford vs Chevy issue - Aimpoint vs Eotech vs others. Find one that works for you and your budget and shoot it.

As far as shooting out to 600 yards, it's harder than a lot of people think. You should to be shooting roughly MOA at 100 yards before you think about hitting a dinner plate at 500 yards. FWIW MOA at 100 yards is a hair over an inch, which puts it a bit over 5" at 500 yards. Yes a dinner plate is larger than that, but work your way up slowly.

As far as really reaching out to touch someone, if you arne't going to be hunting elk, .260Remington or one of the 6.5 variants are great 1k rounds that do not punish you much. Some 6.5 can be fired out of typical AR-15 platforms, others like the .260Rem requires an AR-10 platform.

Read, read, read, shoot some rifles, figure out what you like. I've shot M-4s in the Army, M16A2s in the Army, and all kinds of variants in between since. You will eventually learn what your preferences are and what your interests really are.

The Annoyed Man

Good advice

#TINVOWOOT

psijac

Post by psijac »

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523549 ... viewHeader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Barrel is 14.5 inches but if you get a gunsmith to permanently pin the compensator (or a suppressor mount) and bam! the shortest CQB weapon you can get. Just don't combine a lower to that upper until you get it pinned otherwise you will have an unregistered sbr
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Syntyr wrote:
C-dub wrote:IMO, if you're only wanting to reach out to 300 yards a 16" or 14.5" with a 1.5" flag hider should get you there just fine. Beyond 400 yards, from something I've recently heard, an 18" or longer barrel is needed to attain the velocities required to push a heavy enough bullet fast enough to have reliable ballistics at that greater distance. So, build yourself one rifle now and then later when you can, get the tax stamp and build one with a 8"-10" barrel and add a suppressor for CQB.
Hmmmm Hadn't thought about that... So a 16 incher will go out to 300-400 yards? Thats probably the max of my capabilities with an AR platform. I think I might be able to get further out with a traditional bolt action rifle. I don't mean this to devolve into an NFA discussion but am I correct that if I get the stamp for an 8" barrell I have to register that with a particular receiver and I can NOT use it with another receiver? Just wondering...

In the Army Squad Designated Marksman class, you learn to reliably hit targets at 600 yards with iron sights and 800 yards with an ACOG...with an issue M4.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”