Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Plano, TX Police Dept...duty weapon?

Post by flintknapper »

I've been searching on-line and haven't turned up anything.

Does anyone know the requirements/restrictions of this dept. in regards to what duty weapon an officer may carry?

Some Dept's. issue, other don't. Some allow officers to carry what they please as long as certain guidelines and safety features are adhered to.

My Nephew is currently interviewing with the Plano Dept...in hopes of becoming an officer for them.

He has military training (Marines) so his rifle skills are O.K., but his pistol skills could be improved upon. I suggested he find out what they allow....and start practicing NOW. I realize that firearms proficiency is not the determining factor for passing academy, but it doesn't hurt if you show up with a certain amount of experience.

I'd like to get the Lad "up to speed" both in his shooting skills and safe handling of the weapon. I know his shotgun skills will need some polishing as well. (and his empty hands skills and his edged weapons skills....) ;-)

Anyway, if someone knows what weapons (pistol) are allowed.....please post here.

Thank you,

Flint
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Plano, TX Police Dept...duty weapon?

Post by jbirds1210 »

Their firearms policy is likely subject to an open records request. You might be able to call their training deprtment and ask if you get no response.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

It looks like they carry Glock 22's, although there seem to be a few 1911's in the bunch.

Check out the second page of this file: http://www.planotx.org/City_Hall/agenda ... 210-21.pdf

That was the first hit when I did a Google search for +"Plano, TX" +police +pistol (you can copy & paste it into a Google search.)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

If he can master a G22 he can pass any pd qual, anywhere.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

gigag04 wrote:If he can master a G22 he can pass any pd qual, anywhere.

Yeah.

"This is a Glock forty.....I am only one in this room professional enough to handle it.........Booom!" :roll:

We all remember that one. ;-)

He is a good athelete....has pretty good hand/eye coordination and follows instruction well, so I think we can whip him into shape (well beyond the basics) in fairly short order. I have my own range, paper and steel targets aplenty... and we've been close ever since he was a baby.....(so no tension).

He already knows how to shoot and handle a weapon, just lacks tactical instruction. He graduates next month with his Bachelors in C/J and Plano PD is running a background check on him currently. He is hopeful.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jbirds1210 »

Kimberly and I will add your nephew's wishes to our prayer list. I hope he enjoys his career half as much as I am enjoying mine. I am sure he will look past the bravado and quickly realize he can impact his corner of the world for the better.Just buy the boy a Glock....you know you want to! :biggrinjester:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

jbirds1210 wrote:Kimberly and I will add your nephew's wishes to our prayer list. I hope he enjoys his career half as much as I am enjoying mine. I am sure he will look past the bravado and quickly realize he can impact his corner of the world for the better.Just buy the boy a Glock....you know you want to! :biggrinjester:

I knew you'd be onto me Jason.

I want to surprise him......but you know.....it will just "kill my soul" to buy a Gllllloo, Gllooooc.....I can't even say it. ;-)

Anyway, I'll get him whatever is required. Heck, I don't actually have to touch it. :mrgreen:

And thanks for the well wishes and Prayers.

Flint.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Glock 22, at least as of earlier this year (I asked an officer). I don't know if they allow you to carry something else, but I can find out.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Dave2 wrote:Glock 22, at least as of earlier this year (I asked an officer). I don't know if they allow you to carry something else, but I can find out.

Thank you Dave.

Flint.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

The newer Glocks are a bit more ergonomic than they used to be. My G22 is a good reliable gun. It is decently accurate also.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

I went to the NCTCOG Regional Police Academy in 2006 with several recruits from the Plano PD. At that time they issued the Glock 22.

I understand Plano PD is a good place to work. They pay well too. Best of luck to him.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

As others have said, it is the G22. However, I believe after a year you are allowed to carry other weapons. I know I have seen several carrying Kimber 1911's, and actually saw one of the Captains carrying a Model 66 the other day in restaurant. I stopped and commented on it and he said that him carrying a revolver brought up more conversations than you would believe. He said he loved going to the range with the new guys and emptying a cylinder of .357 rounds with the muzzle blast being felt 2 or 3 bays away and seeing their jaws drop and them stop shooting to figure out what kind of cannon he has on his belt. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I wanted to add two things. First is my best wishes for your nephew, both in this job interview and in his career. We need more good people in the law enforcement field.

Second is to point out that not having the skills you mention is not a handicap for either hiring or entry into the academy. As a matter of fact, when i was an academy instructor, I generally preferred working with the ones with no experience or just minimal experience. It is usually easier for me to teach them the skills I want to see them using than it is someone with lots of experience. The more experienced guys have so many bad habits to break that it can hurt them more than it helps.

As one example from my personal experience let me tell you about my trouble passing the shooting skills. I learned to shoot with my father on an S&W revolver. He taught me from the time I was about 8 to cock the hammer so I could get an accurate shot. Of course, I am probably not remembering that I might have had trouble squeezing double action back then, but the idea is the same. I had about 20 years of experience shooting revolvers single action. When I got into SAPD's academy, we were carrying .357 revolvers (S&W model 65's) but the idea of combat shooting had hit police departments. The instructors insisted on us shooting double action with both eyes open. I can't say it put me in jeopardy of not graduating, but it did cause problems.

So, my advice is to go shooting, but not to worry about the skills. Take the time to relax and enjoy shooting with him, then get him to go again while he is in the academy (if the rules allow it). That is when he will need the extra time practicing what they teach him, and maybe bringing some of the tactics to you for your consideration also.
Steve Rothstein

fannypacker

Post by fannypacker »

I talked to a senior officer recently. He carrired a 1911 cocked and locked. He said they are issued Glocks but experienced officers could carry 1911s, issued, not personal.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

srothstein wrote:
I wanted to add two things. First is my best wishes for your nephew, both in this job interview and in his career. We need more good people in the law enforcement field.
Thank you Sir. :tiphat:
Second is to point out that not having the skills you mention is not a handicap for either hiring or entry into the academy. As a matter of fact, when i was an academy instructor, I generally preferred working with the ones with no experience or just minimal experience. It is usually easier for me to teach them the skills I want to see them using than it is someone with lots of experience. The more experienced guys have so many bad habits to break that it can hurt them more than it helps.
Your point is well taken. I would submit however....that IF the level of "experience" those people possesed....had more paralleled what you wanted them to know/practice, then that experience might have been welcomed. You would only have needed to fine tune them (as applicable to LEO)...rather than correct their vices.

So, my advice is to go shooting, but not to worry about the skills. Take the time to relax and enjoy shooting with him, then get him to go again while he is in the academy (if the rules allow it). That is when he will need the extra time practicing what they teach him, and maybe bringing some of the tactics to you for your consideration also.
He will leave here with stern instruction to follow EXACTLY what is taught at academy. It is taught that way for a reason (a point not lost on me). But....I can assure you it will not differ significantly (if at all) from what he'll get here.

I hope all works out well for him....I know he will be level headed in his job. Also, he would make #3 in the entire family (didn't know that...did ya folks). ;-)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”