does a passenger have to show CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ole-cuss
Posts in topic: 1

does a passenger have to show CHL

Post by ole-cuss »

Should i get stopped and have to show my DL and CHL and my wife is with me does she have to show her CHL and DL too although she is not driving?
G26
Kel Tec P11
Sig P232
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow".John Wayne

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

AFAIK....no. Not unless asked. As a practical matter...it may not be a bad idea.
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

A person who is carrying under the CHL laws who has a Peace Officer or Magistrate demand the person identify himself, must display both the Texas DL ir ID card, and the CHL.

So only of your passenger is required to ID are they required to inform.

USMC-COL

Peace Officer

Post by USMC-COL »

I understand one must display the CHL (if carrying) when asked for ID by a peace officer in TX. My dumb question is: must the peace officer be within his/her jurisdiction if not a DPS trooper, Ranger, or other state-wide peace officer? I know there are circumstances when a peace officer may legally act out of his or her jurisdiction (felony in progress, etc), but I was wondering in general about the CHL requirement.

How about a federal officer such as at a border checkpoint?
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Peace Officer

Post by KBCraig »

USMC-COL wrote:I understand one must display the CHL (if carrying) when asked for ID by a peace officer in TX. My dumb question is: must the peace officer be within his/her jurisdiction if not a DPS trooper, Ranger, or other state-wide peace officer? I know there are circumstances when a peace officer may legally act out of his or her jurisdiction (felony in progress, etc), but I was wondering in general about the CHL requirement.
I invite correction if I'm mistaken, but I believe that in Texas, a Peace Officer is a Peace Officer is a Peace Officer. The state of Texas is their jurisdiction. I know that Arkansas is the same way.
How about a federal officer such as at a border checkpoint?
They're not peace officers or magistrates. I'm a federal law enforcement officer, but I'm not a peace officer so far as the state of Texas is concerned. Since my job is not one of the "special agent" jobs that is recognized by the state, I was just an ordinary citizen until LEOSA passed. Thanks to that law, I now fewer carry restrictions than a CHL. (By the way, I didn't support that law, and I don't favor creating special classes in the eyes of the law. But since it passed, I do breathe a little easier at times.)

Kevin

txinvestigator

Re: Peace Officer

Post by txinvestigator »

KBCraig wrote: I invite correction if I'm mistaken, but I believe that in Texas, a Peace Officer is a Peace Officer is a Peace Officer. The state of Texas is their jurisdiction. I know that Arkansas is the same way.
You are correct sir!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Kevin - what do you do?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

KB, thank you for that. I have heard that jurisdiction stuff so many time! My license says Texas Peace Officer. That always reminds me of those people that get upset when you arrest them in their yard or house.

"YOU CAN'T ARREST ME IN MY HOUSE!" :?

It kills me every time.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

gigag04 wrote:Kevin - what do you do?
I'm a CO for the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Kevin

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”