Carrying on someones private property

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2355
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#16

Post by Flightmare » Fri May 17, 2019 1:13 am

Liberty wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:16 pm
As a matter of courtesy, I find what people carry stuffed in their pants is none of my business and what's stuffed in mine is none of theirs. Concealed is concealed.

Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
My first time carrying out of the house was at a playground with my nieces and nephews. There were a bunch of kids all around me. Nobody was the wiser.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

AdioSS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 am
Location: 75707

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#17

Post by AdioSS » Fri May 17, 2019 5:58 am

My sister lives in DFW with her family. She’s got kids. I often have stayed there overnight. She used to not like for me to carry around the kiddos, especially since I liked playing with them. Honestly, I wonder if that could have been her husband questioning that. I explained that it is safer for me to carry it on me than to leave it in my bag or in my truck. If it is on me I know 100% where it is versus what if the kid got curious & went into my room. Not they don’t seem to mind. They assume that if I am around then I am carrying, and when we are out in public it makes them feel safer.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 6121
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#18

Post by Liberty » Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am

Txtension wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Why the disconnect? It seems unreasonable that any risk brought to the table is any more or less justifiable based on age alone. Unless you're often tagged into hide-and-go-seek or pull off some crazy dance moves. But one could logically disarm at that point because of the activities.

Lots of (bad) laws get pushed with "think of the children". :tiphat:
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
Last edited by Liberty on Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy


Acronym Esq
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:40 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#19

Post by Acronym Esq » Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 am

dsim wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:09 pm
Even if you do not know the individual from something other than an email exchange? I agree that it was wreckless, just trying to see if there is another solution besides signage and/or an oral warning.
IMHO, You should just assume everyone is armed at an exchange springing from email. We already know everyone has something of value (something to sell; something to trade for it). Why wouldn't they be armed?

As far as other options, my favorite is a polite gun buster sign like a red circle with a line through a gun silhouette. Text underneath something like "No open, concealed, or illegal firearms. Thanks MGMT." This communicates to those carrying legally that they are not welcome, but does not carry weight of law. It lets them know that if they are discovered, they will formally be asked to leave (thus triggering the law). Kinda gives them the friendly heads up to respect your wishes without threat of legal action. Also gives notice to the illegal carry with force of law. Further, it allows the sign to be smaller than .06/7. Saw it at a restaurant, and thought it was clever, communicative, and respectful.

The general sentiment here seems to disagree with your "OK for me, but not for thee" point of view. Perhaps you might like to review the conviction rates for LTC holders on the DPS site. It's astonishingly low. "Thee" are overwhelmingly good people.

acronym 5/17/2019 6:59 AM

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#20

Post by bblhd672 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:28 am

Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
Txtension wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Why the disconnect? It seems unreasonable that any risk brought to the table is any more or less justifiable based on age alone. Unless you're often tagged into hide-and-go-seek or pull off some crazy dance moves. But one could logically disarm at that point because of the activities.

Lots of (bad) laws get pushed with "think of the children". :tiphat:
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
I carry because I’m thinking about the safety of the children. Especially when I am carrying concealed as part of my church safety team and my station is the children’s building.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 6121
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#21

Post by Liberty » Fri May 17, 2019 7:53 am

bblhd672 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:28 am
Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
I carry because I’m thinking about the safety of the children. Especially when I am carrying concealed as part of my church safety team and my station is the children’s building.
I always carry when I am out and about in public places even when children are with me. While at home where I will play with the kids on the floor with lots of hugs and such I disarm. At my home I usually disarm anyway.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#22

Post by bblhd672 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:00 am

Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:53 am
bblhd672 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:28 am
Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
I carry because I’m thinking about the safety of the children. Especially when I am carrying concealed as part of my church safety team and my station is the children’s building.
I always carry when I am out and about in public places even when children are with me. While at home where I will play with the kids on the floor with lots of hugs and such I disarm. At my home I usually disarm anyway.
I’m with you! No criticism intended.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3031
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#23

Post by oljames3 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am

Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
Txtension wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Why the disconnect? It seems unreasonable that any risk brought to the table is any more or less justifiable based on age alone. Unless you're often tagged into hide-and-go-seek or pull off some crazy dance moves. But one could logically disarm at that point because of the activities.

Lots of (bad) laws get pushed with "think of the children". :tiphat:
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. I'll not disparage someone for their personal defense choices. For me, my M&P is safer carried openly it its Safariland 7TS ALS with Guard than my Ruger LCR is carried concealed in its Remora RFT.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1331
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#24

Post by Lynyrd » Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am

dsim wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 pm
I appreciate the replies. Lesson learned on this one, no more unknown visitors to the property.
I live out in the country. My house is not visible from the road. I have guests all the time and the ones who are my friends are always carrying, sometimes concealed, sometimes open. I occasionally have visitors, or customers that I do not know. Maybe we only talked on the phone once, or maybe one of my friends asked if they could bring someone. Either way it would not bother me at all to see them carrying either concealed or open. If you come to my property you can rest assured that I will always be carrying, and most of the time openly. Why would I worry about others legally carrying the same way I do? Why would I want them to disarm before entering my property? As others have said, posting a sign only disarms the people who mean you no harm anyway.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3814
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#25

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:18 am

oljames3 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am
Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
Txtension wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Why the disconnect? It seems unreasonable that any risk brought to the table is any more or less justifiable based on age alone. Unless you're often tagged into hide-and-go-seek or pull off some crazy dance moves. But one could logically disarm at that point because of the activities.

Lots of (bad) laws get pushed with "think of the children". :tiphat:
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. I'll not disparage someone for their personal defense choices. For me, my M&P is safer carried openly it its Safariland 7TS ALS with Guard than my Ruger LCR is carried concealed in its Remora RFT.
:iagree: This is a great saying, because it is so true.

A couple points I want to add to this thread. First, retention can be much greater than it seems if the concern is having an untrained person unholster your weapon. When our son was younger, my wife was concerned about me carrying, so I holstered my triple checked unloaded 1911 and asked her to pull it out of the holster. She tried and failed to do so, repeatedly. The fact is that even with a "level 0" leather holster you still need to draw it out at a precise angle. If concerned here, you could also remove the round from your chamber. Still more effective than having your gun in the car, and now your concern would shift to a kid somehow unholstering your weapon, and racking the slide, all without you noticing. Combine a level 3 retention holster and that risk gets pretty darn minimal.

Second point. Everyone should have a few of those little portable safes. You can get them at Academy for $15 to $20. Less if you find a sale. I have one in every vehicle that I might normally ride in (my car, my truck, my wife's car, my 2 daughters cars). They each contain a $20 bill in case the driver runs into an emergency and needs some cash (multiple $20's in my wife's case). They also give me a place to store my gun if I'm so inclined to enter a 30.06 posted restaurant, or if I'm sleeping overnight somewhere that small children are present (our youngest is 11, so that's anywhere if he's with me, including hunting).
Ding dong, the witch is dead


1911 Raptor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 am

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#26

Post by 1911 Raptor » Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 am

Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
Txtension wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Why the disconnect? It seems unreasonable that any risk brought to the table is any more or less justifiable based on age alone. Unless you're often tagged into hide-and-go-seek or pull off some crazy dance moves. But one could logically disarm at that point because of the activities.

Lots of (bad) laws get pushed with "think of the children". :tiphat:
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
Sounds like you need to rethink your carry method.


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#27

Post by crazy2medic » Sat May 18, 2019 9:05 am

1911 Raptor wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 am
Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
Txtension wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Why the disconnect? It seems unreasonable that any risk brought to the table is any more or less justifiable based on age alone. Unless you're often tagged into hide-and-go-seek or pull off some crazy dance moves. But one could logically disarm at that point because of the activities.

Lots of (bad) laws get pushed with "think of the children". :tiphat:
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
Sounds like you need to rethink your carry method.
I have picked up and carried my grandchildren without much of a thought about it, I carry them on my right side, gun is on the left side, never ever had any issues, Once my wife told me to becareful with the grandson around my knife, I ask her which one I have two on me, her questing was "two knives and a gun, what are you afraid of?" I told her not a dang thing!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 6121
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Carrying on someones private property

#28

Post by Liberty » Sat May 18, 2019 9:06 am

1911 Raptor wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 am
Liberty wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am
Txtension wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Although I will not carry if I know there are very young kids present.
Why the disconnect? It seems unreasonable that any risk brought to the table is any more or less justifiable based on age alone. Unless you're often tagged into hide-and-go-seek or pull off some crazy dance moves. But one could logically disarm at that point because of the activities.

Lots of (bad) laws get pushed with "think of the children". :tiphat:
I am uncomfortable while carrying around most small children, they can be clingy and huggy. and to be honest, my normal carry method doesn't have high retention. YMMV
Sounds like you need to rethink your carry method.
Nope, It's working out just fine. Most times the only huggy feely person That I'm around is my wife. I conceal carry and my handgun should be in hand long before I get into any wrestling matches.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”