'Proper' way to install USGI silent sling on AR-15?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
aaronspuler
Posts in topic: 4

'Proper' way to install USGI silent sling on AR-15?

Post by aaronspuler »

My AR has sling mounts already on it, as seen below.

I have a black nylon USGI silent sling, 50 inches long, 1.25 inches wide, with metal buckles, as seen below.

At the risk of sounding like a moron (a risk I'm prepared to take to get it done right), what is the proper way to install the sling? I'm talking in terms of attaching it to the two mounts, and threading it through the metal buckles. I'd prefer to get it right the first time.

Thanks!

marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 'Proper' way to install USGI silent sling on AR-15?

Post by marksiwel »

Hey it took me almost a year to figure out Molle gear, I too would like to know how this done
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Loop the sling through the swivels at each end of the rifle. The buckle should be on the outside and the end of the sling webbing on the inside. You wind up with a sling that is useful only for carry of the rifle. Look into a three point sling or a single point sling if you want to have more versatility. I don't like a single point sling due to safety concerns (it's hard to keep from shooting your own foot using one.) If I can, I'll shoot some pix of the different slings and post them.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

MoJo wrote:You wind up with a sling that is useful only for carry of the rifle. Look into a three point sling or a single point sling if you want to have more versatility. I don't like a single point sling due to safety concerns (it's hard to keep from shooting your own foot using one.) If I can, I'll shoot some pix of the different slings and post them.
Would you say this is true of the vickers 2 point as well? I use this sling and find it to have much more use than shouldering a weapon.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
aaronspuler

Post by aaronspuler »

I'm looking to use the sling for carrying the rifle and also to wrap around my weak hand forearm (not the trigger hand) to help steady my aim. Don't really have any need for any of the tacticool stuff the kids are in to these days, so your directions (and pictures) will be extremely valuable and useful MoJo. Appreciate you taking the time to show me.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words - - - - here's 3,000 words.

Front sling swivel showing how to loop sling through buckle and swivel.

Rear sling slot showing looping,

Sling snugged up and ready to use.

The orange webbing was used for two reasons it's easier to see in the pictures and I had it on hand.

Hope this helps.
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

gigag04 wrote:
MoJo wrote:You wind up with a sling that is useful only for carry of the rifle. Look into a three point sling or a single point sling if you want to have more versatility. I don't like a single point sling due to safety concerns (it's hard to keep from shooting your own foot using one.) If I can, I'll shoot some pix of the different slings and post them.
Would you say this is true of the vickers 2 point as well? I use this sling and find it to have much more use than shouldering a weapon.

By single point sling I'm referring to the type of sling that is a single loop attached to the AR just behind the lower reciever unless you have a hand on the rifle there is no control of where the muzzle is pointing. I like a three point design that I make.

Gigag04 if you will send me your snail mail addy I'll send you one of the slings for your evaluation.
George Mason

Topic author
aaronspuler

Post by aaronspuler »

MoJo, that was excellent! I need to go adjust how I have the ends of the straps through the buckles. The photos of loose then tight really helped out a lot.

I like these simple sort of slings, don't see the need to spend lots of money on puffy or padded ones and whatnot. I'd like to see the other styles of slings you refer to (1 point, 3 point).

Topic author
aaronspuler

Post by aaronspuler »

Looks like I might need to get a longer sling... Where did you get your sling material? Figure I could just buy what I need and cut to length since I've already got the buckles.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

It looks like you're good to go. 1" and 1.5" webbing is available at most Ace Hardware stores. 1.25" is hard to find.
George Mason

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”