Complete Uppers or Upper Builds

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Medic218
Posts in topic: 7

Complete Uppers or Upper Builds

Post by Medic218 »

Oooooook....
I've done some looking around and haven't found answers to my questions.

I'm starting a build for a 5.56 AR. I have all the parts planned out for the lower but the upper is whats throwing me since those components are so crucial.
I'm wanting to build this for hunting so I need it to be capable of MOA or better.

I've done lots of reading and I have some questions.
Do any of you have any personal experience with some of the products below? If so please feel free to give me a little review. Pictures are always welcomed. :thumbs2:
If you don't, but have a suggestion for something you do have experience with, and don't see it below, please feel free to share it.

Custom
I'm not opposed to a "from the ground up" build.
I have researched several custom barrel makers and it always seems to come down to Satern, Krieger, Shilen, Bartlein, Hart and a few others.
Money isn't a huge issue, as I have no time limit and can save up, but of course I don't want to spend more than I have to to accomplish my goal.
I have read that WOA(White Oak Armament) makes a fantastic barrel but I can't find any proof, only peoples opinions.

Complete
I have read some reviews that state BCM(Bravo Company) and Palmetto State Armory make a fine product that us also affordable. But how to they perform?
I'm really leaning towards a LaRue Stealth upper due to their stellar reputation. Getting to keep my money in Texas is a nice bonus as well.
I hear that Noveske is nice, but boy are they pricey.
Rainier Arms has a few uppers that have peeked my interest especially since they use a Shilen barrel.
LMT is another one that seems to come highly recommended but I haven't heard much about the other than on the inter-webs.

What are y'alls takes?
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Complete Uppers or Upper Builds

Post by gigag04 »

BCM is tier one type kit - popular among "operator" types and people that feel like they need to have a rifle used by troops in remote areas. I'm considering one for work, but found another option that is appealing to me.

I think a Larue rifle will get you the Tack driver you desire. Their reputation is also stellar, but they don't have the volume that BCM does.

PSA are great guns for the price, but they're not in the same category as BCM et al.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

I just found some pics on the M4 forum of a BCM 18" SPR upper that was impressive to say the least.
I'll get the pic over here in a few.

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

The poster on the other forum stated it was a Bravo Company MK12 SPR 18" BCM SS410

Federal Gold Medal Match 77gr

Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr

teddy salad

Post by teddy salad »

I had a 20-inch WOA varmint upper (1:7 twist) that, for me, was a superb tack driver with my 77gr Sierra MatchKing reloads. I still regret trading it.

As for White Oak Armament's barrel accuracy in general, I know that at one there was a website floating around out there that listed winners in high-power and service rifle competition, and the make of upper they were using. White Oak was well-represented. Those same barrel interiors are found in all of their uppers - the length, outside dimensions, and fluting are the only things that change.

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

If you don't care about resale, you can get more bang for your buck from a kit. However, many people are understandably wary about buying a home built upper or complete gun. You see this with motorcycles too, where the DIYer fancies the end result as a custom build. :lol:

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

I think I've decided on a build using a White Oak Aramament 18" SPR barrel.
But there is a dilemma....I have read that the rifle gas system would be best for an 18" barrel vs a mid-length gas system.
I can get a mid-length right now or I can wait three months and get the rifle gas system barrel.

I heard that the rifle length gas provides a softer recoil, cycling of the action and generally causes less wear in the moving internals.
What's y'all's take?

A-R

Post by A-R »

take a look at pkfirearms.com - they have a nice selection of quality uppers.

I bought my upper from them over a year ago and have been very pleased. It's a Sabre Defense stainless steel fluted 16-inch with Daniel Defense quad rail. It's capable of shooting better than I am, but I've hit mutiple half-MOA groups with it using bi-pod from a bench.

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

Well, I ended up deciding to go with a 6.8 SPC II after I found out I had won an aoudad hunt and knew my 5.56 might not be able to handle that particular critter. The 6.8 will more than fulfill my needs for hogs and anything else I decide to hunt in the future so I figured "why not".

I don't know if anyone is interested in my build or not but here is the list I have. I just placed my final order and should be good to go from here as soon as it all comes in. There may be a small part or two that I can't think of at the moment but at least all the major components are taken care of.

Lower
Spike's Tactical Stripped Lower
Palmetto State Armory Lower Parts Kit w/o Fire Control Group
ARFX Skeleton Stock
AR15 A2 Rifle Stock Completion Kit
MAGPUL MIAD Pistol Grip
Spike's Tactical Billet Trigger Guard
Geissele SSA-E

Upper
AR 15 Performance 16" 6.8 - 4150 CMV Scout Profile Barrel
VLTOR MUR Upper Receiver
ITS Extreme Duty NiB Bolt Carrier Group
5X4 Compensator
Samson Evolution Free Float Tube 11"
BCM Gun Fighter MOD 4(Med) Charging Handle
VLTOR Low Profile Gas Block
Mid-Length Gas Tube

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MedicMan218 wrote:I hear that Noveske is nice, but boy are they pricey.
I can't say much about their 5.56 barrels as I've never owned one. But I do have one of their 18" heavy profile barrels on an AR10, and it has been difficult to find a handload that shoots accurately in it. The Barrel has polygonal rifling, which will give you additional velocity and make cleaning much easier, but I would do your research on Noveske before springing the long green to get one. It has been suggested to me by another AR10 owner with a lot of experience in setting up SASS rifles like mine that the platform itself is the problem and not the barrel—meaning that AR10s are not as nearly forgiving about ammo choice as are AR15s. I don't know if that is true or not. And I'm willing to admit that it could be "operator error," although I doubt it as I am able to shoot my other rifles quite accurately. All I know is that if I can't get this thing to shoot the sub MOA it ought to be capable of, I'll scrap the Noveske barrel and try one from some other manufacturer. Again, read up on any known accuracy issues in 5.56 with Noveske barrels. There may be none like the troubles I'm having in .308.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmra

Post by jmra »

MedicMan218 wrote:Well, I ended up deciding to go with a 6.8 SPC II after I found out I had won an aoudad hunt and knew my 5.56 might not be able to handle that particular critter. The 6.8 will more than fulfill my needs for hogs and anything else I decide to hunt in the future so I figured "why not".

I don't know if anyone is interested in my build or not but here is the list I have. I just placed my final order and should be good to go from here as soon as it all comes in. There may be a small part or two that I can't think of at the moment but at least all the major components are taken care of.

Lower
Spike's Tactical Stripped Lower
Palmetto State Armory Lower Parts Kit w/o Fire Control Group
ARFX Skeleton Stock
AR15 A2 Rifle Stock Completion Kit
MAGPUL MIAD Pistol Grip
Spike's Tactical Billet Trigger Guard
Geissele SSA-E

Upper
AR 15 Performance 16" 6.8 - 4150 CMV Scout Profile Barrel
VLTOR MUR Upper Receiver
ITS Extreme Duty NiB Bolt Carrier Group
5X4 Compensator
Samson Evolution Free Float Tube 11"
BCM Gun Fighter MOD 4(Med) Charging Handle
VLTOR Low Profile Gas Block
Mid-Length Gas Tube
Very nice. Hope you have a great hunt.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

Yeah, me too!
Fingers crossed!

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

A little update for those who may possibly be interested.
I'm half way there. I'll be picking up my lower in a few hours and will have it done no later than Friday night.

5x4 Comp/Flash Suppressor from ARP.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”