Where to buy a long-ish but not trench coat jacket?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 7

Where to buy a long-ish but not trench coat jacket?

Post by knotquiteawake »

Now that the weather has changed and its finally getting cold out I've realized that all my jackets are actually just a bit short. THey all end right at the waistline or if they go slightly past the waistline they are the kind with a kind of elastic at the bottom that catches on whatever is on your hip if you were to reach up and grab something instead of just falling right back down. Because they end right at the waistline I can't really wear shirts that go longer because even then they'll get caught up and ride up trapped between the jacket and waist.

ANy of you know where I can find a medium length jacket for a reasonable price? Something like a canvas duster but not as long. I don't chill easily so I'm usually fine with a light jacket. Just need to find the right jacket now, especially if I switching up to carrying a glock 19 soon-ish from carrying a pocketed mousegun.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Where to buy a long-ish but not trench coat jacket?

Post by JKTex »

Well, not to be too obvious, but anywhere that sells outerwear.

As an aside, personally I think sometimes we get a little to caught up in the right "gear" to wear when carrying. I've never had a problem carrying without buying special clothes. That said, the kind of jacket you're describing sounds like the old baseball jackets, or worse, Member's Only. :mrgreen: They're hard to wear comfortably period.

urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

I guess it depends on the style of coat your looking for but a men's wool peacoat would probably do the job. They can be worn with jeans or dress pants. Check out Burlington Coat Factory or even Old Navy. They are generally everywhere. I hope you find what your looking for.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

Topic author
knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

I know I can get them anywhere that sells outerwear but its helpful to know where to start. Somebody's got to have what feels like the "perfect" jacket to them that they got at ______ so I have a starting point. I can't be all shopping all over the place like the womenfolk do!!! :biggrinjester:

I see one on the Old Navy Website I might order http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=250891012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks about like what I was wanting. Nothing close by to where I'm at so I might have to order it to try it on. Return it if it don't fit.

I used to have a WWII German Field Coat in High School. That thing was awesome! Long, and the liner came out so it could be light or heavy. I miss that thing a lot. I might have to call mom and see if its still around anymore in the attic. Speaking of it though, do any of the surplus stores around here have good surplus field coats from various countries?

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Jos A Bank is a good value for a rare-wear item like that (in texas)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A-R

Post by A-R »

As said a Carhart type ranch jacket (Academy has a good, reasonably priced selection) or anything labeled a "barn coat" from places like Cabelas, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, LL Bean or any other pseudo outdoorsy yuppie/trendy clothing store

I have an old Eddie Bauer unlined barn coat I picked up at a Goodwill store for $10 and love it - keep it in my truck in case I gotta "get dirty" doing something. Doubles as a good emergency cover garment in a pinch

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Last year I was looking in the clearance bend at Old Navy while the family was shopping. I can't typically shop there because I am a big guy and they don't carry my sizes. Low and behold they had a jacket with a removable liner for around $40.00. The length is Nice enough to be quite concealable but it isn't too long or heavy for fall days in southeast Texas (with the liner removed).

They had these jackets for "normal sized folks" on the racks
I'm going to try to attach a picture.
Attachments
image.jpg
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

A-R wrote:ranch jacket .... or anything labeled a "barn coat"

AH!!! The magic works I was looking for! I knew there was a name to what I was looking for!

In the meantime my mom is shipping the old German field coat to me... I'm hoping its as big as I remember it. I can't have grown THAT much in the last 10 years right? I was about 6' 140-150 then and have only gained about 20 lbs and 1in since then.

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gdanaher »

Do you have a good (big) army navy store nearby? THAT's the place to look first.

Topic author
knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

gdanaher wrote:Do you have a good (big) army navy store nearby? THAT's the place to look first.
None that I personally know of, but that IS one of the places I would really like to check. Can anyone recommend one? I'm over in Rowlett but I can make a drive out to almost anywhere in the Dallas Metroplex area. Ft. Worth would be a bit too far.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Wal-Mart?

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Last winter I bought a black wool coat that's perfect. I think I gave $40 for it at Ross. I know not everyone can wear wool.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

If you don't mind the expense London Fog makes some nice mid length and full length coats. And they have removable liners so they are good in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

http://www.shoparamark.com/home?sourcec ... bc=d107024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”