About to "pull the trigger" on a SIG 516...

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
XDSConcealer
Posts in topic: 5

About to "pull the trigger" on a SIG 516...

Post by XDSConcealer »

So I'm about to "pull the trigger" (pun intended) on a SIG 516 and before I did, I wanted to see what the group thought of this particular rifle; especially those that actually have one. I've decided that I want to go gas piston rather than DI and this one seemed the best bang for the buck (quad rails, pistol grip, comes with 4 magpul PMags and Sig Sauer go bag).

Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/4 - DPS Received Packet, BG under Review
9/20-9/22 - Manufacturing Pending, Manufacturing, Mailed
9/29 - Plastic in hand

Dreamliner
Posts in topic: 1

Re: About to "pull the trigger" on a SIG 516...

Post by Dreamliner »

It's a Sig and I like Sig's a lot. What I've noticed in the past couple of years is that there are so many AR manufactures now of which some good and some not so (you get what you paid for). I've shot a friends 516 and it's nice and without any issues or failures. I don't think you'll go wrong with the 516, but I do recommend you check out other pistons ARs at different price points before you make your decision. This way you'll have something to compare against the 516. The biggest thing with piston ARs is that the replacement parts are for the most parts are proprietary; so make your selection carefully. The stuff that comes with the rifle (rails, grips, mags, bag, etc.) are all deal sweetners, but focus on the details and specs of the rifle when making your decisions (ex. what's the BCG made of, barrel, etc.). IMO.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

If you are dead set on a piston gun, then the price point will be hard to beat, but I would caution you about it, and steer you a few other directions. Having owned a top of line piston AR, and shot many other flavors, I would advise you against getting one of the lesser prevalent ones. If you must have a piston, then shell out the bucks for a combat proven platform (i.e. HK, LMT, SCAR, LWRC)

If you are open to reconsidering a GP, then these DI choices would be my choice over the Sig:
For 10% more, you could get the PredatAR from Larue, which would put you in a totally different class as far as quality and resale value.

OR

Take that money and get something from BCM with a rail put on it. I like mid-length BCMs if you're going for a 16".

OR

A good ol Colt 6920 with your extended rail of choice

Those are proven names with excellent resale value, factory support, and solid builds.

For dealers I prefer BCM, Rainier Arms, and G&R Tactical (or Laure if getting their gear or optics).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
XDSConcealer

Post by XDSConcealer »

Dreamliner wrote:It's a Sig and I like Sig's a lot. What I've noticed in the past couple of years is that there are so many AR manufactures now of which some good and some not so (you get what you paid for). I've shot a friends 516 and it's nice and without any issues or failures. I don't think you'll go wrong with the 516, but I do recommend you check out other pistons ARs at different price points before you make your decision. This way you'll have something to compare against the 516. The biggest thing with piston ARs is that the replacement parts are for the most parts are proprietary; so make your selection carefully. The stuff that comes with the rifle (rails, grips, mags, bag, etc.) are all deal sweetners, but focus on the details and specs of the rifle when making your decisions (ex. what's the BCG made of, barrel, etc.). IMO.
I thought about the replacement parts and as you indicated I would need to by exclusively from Sig to get anything that I needed. I like the concept of a piston platform because I have shot both piston and DI and pistons are just cleaner all the way around. I also watched a friend abuse his piston (he has a HK) and show just what can be done to a piston driven AR and still run with zero malfunctions. He threw dirt directly into the bore and unloaded a magazine afterwards. Just amazing.

The one thing that I didn't like about the Sig is the front heavy nature of the gun. This will take some adjusting but I was expecting the weight shift.
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/29 - Plastic in hand

Topic author
XDSConcealer

Post by XDSConcealer »

gigag04 wrote:If you are dead set on a piston gun, then the price point will be hard to beat, but I would caution you about it, and steer you a few other directions. Having owned a top of line piston AR, and shot many other flavors, I would advise you against getting one of the lesser prevalent ones. If you must have a piston, then shell out the bucks for a combat proven platform (i.e. HK, LMT, SCAR, LWRC)

If you are open to reconsidering a GP, then these DI choices would be my choice over the Sig:
For 10% more, you could get the PredatAR from Larue, which would put you in a totally different class as far as quality and resale value.

OR

Take that money and get something from BCM with a rail put on it. I like mid-length BCMs if you're going for a 16".

OR

A good ol Colt 6920 with your extended rail of choice

Those are proven names with excellent resale value, factory support, and solid builds.

For dealers I prefer BCM, Rainier Arms, and G&R Tactical (or Laure if getting their gear or optics).
Thanks for the input. Considering the price point is just south of $1,500 I have a lot of options open to me for that price point. DI's are definitely cheaper and parts are more readily available. I'm still looking at HK's as you mentioned since a friend of mine has one. Admittedly the add-ons I've been offered on the SIG are definitely pushing me in the direction of the 516 but I still need to do my research. I'll look into the ones you suggested.

Thanks again!
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/29 - Plastic in hand

alvins

Post by alvins »

wow the 516 is 1500? i was looking at a 716 and academy has them for 1699. I would have thought they would be cheaper?

Topic author
XDSConcealer

Post by XDSConcealer »

alvins wrote:wow the 516 is 1500? i was looking at a 716 and academy has them for 1699. I would have thought they would be cheaper?
The package I'm looking at is $1,500 out the door. That includes a SIg Sauer go bag, 3 extra PMags and some other goodies. If I wanted just the rifle, the cost would be $1400.
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/29 - Plastic in hand

extremist

Post by extremist »

Love my 516FDE. I've only shot it a little, but so far flawless and very accurate.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
XDSConcealer

Post by XDSConcealer »

Trigger pulled. However, starting to look like I might not own it as long as I'd hoped. I hope cooler heads prevail on all this AWB talk. Too many people letting emotion make the decisions.
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/29 - Plastic in hand

Silent Professional

Post by Silent Professional »

You have my deepest condolences.
"Out of one hundred men on the battlefield, eighty should not even be here. Ten are nothing more than targets.
Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them, They the battle make. Ah, but the one.
One is a warrior and he will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus, 500 B.C.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”